700c Disc Wheels...

MisterMuncher
MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
edited July 2012 in The workshop
These do appear to be the veritable hen's teeth. I had assumed that as CX bikes with disc brakes become more common, they'd proliferate, but that doesn't seem to have happened.

Has anyone a recommendation? 29er MTB wheels aren't really appealing, as I do prefer to run a 23 or 25 tyre( and the attendant presta valve tube), which is a little narrow for most of those. Am I better off seeking a wheelbuilder than a stock wheel and getting some made for the job?

Comments

• blakef111
    blakef111 Posts: 374
    kinesis have or are just about to launch a range, worth calling upgrade bikes for info
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    These do appear to be the veritable hen's teeth. I had assumed that as CX bikes with disc brakes become more common, they'd proliferate, but that doesn't seem to have happened.

Has anyone a recommendation? 29er MTB wheels aren't really appealing, as I do prefer to run a 23 or 25 tyre( and the attendant presta valve tube), which is a little narrow for most of those. Am I better off seeking a wheelbuilder than a stock wheel and getting some made for the job?
    just get some built up.

your frame and fork ARE disc ready?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Does your CX bike take 130 or 135mm OLD hubs?
    Hope hoops seems to be the obvious choice: waffally versatile and excellent quality.
  • MisterMuncher
    Oh aye, frame and fork fully ready. I'm wanting to upgrade from a stock set that aren't the best.
  • MisterMuncher
    Perhaps I might be ok for a wee bit. The strange rattle from the front wheel wasn't the bearings, as I suspected. The brake pads had apparently underwent some kind of weird delamination or suchlike. Never seen nor heard of such a thing, but the pad compound was sitting loose from the backing material, almost as if there was air bubbles behind it. They were completely grand when I last checked them, about 2 weeks/200 miles ago.

Naturally, this was discovered forensically after the pads splintered apart during a hard stop this morning. The pads lost about half the surface, the rest barely stuck on.

So, I suppose that's a wee saving. Thank dog Chain Reaction cycles was only half a mile away at the time.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Pad delamination happens, unfortunately. Pretty unusual though.

As for wheels, my wheelset build with Superstar hubs, Stans Crest 29er rims and DT Revolution spokes weighs 1590g and take a 25mm tye absolutely fine.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."