I have implented a genius bike storage idea :-)

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited July 2012 in Commuting chat
Bought a Saris Bones (yeah, I know it's pink, but that donated money toward the charity that concentrates on keepin the worlds breasts lovely - works for me) and came up with <modest mode> fcukimg genius solution for both rack and bike storage. A bit of metal bending and I've knocked up four brackets that mimic the car mounting points AND placed them on a wall in the same positions relatively as they are on the car. Ergo the strap and arm positions and lengths are identical. Voila! Three bike storage. rack storage and 30s from wall to car. Yes, yes I am a genius.

d724dc38.jpg
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• getprg
    getprg Posts: 245
    You are both a genius and modest with it
  • SimonAH
    I am available for both birthdays and Barmitzvas :-D

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    You said 3 bike storage. I only count 2. Clearly you need another bike to fully realise this genius.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • SimonAH
    You are so right. If I aim the camera left however;
    e4892dad.jpg

and if I were to walk into the workshop 3.5 more would be revealed.

Having said that, is it acceptable to buy a Wilier with Ultegra? I seem to have a wallet-bungee shouting at me from Evans Bristol :-D

http://m.evanscycles.com/products/wilie ... e-ec029521

• mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    Whilst I openly admit I'm not Geoff Capes I'm not Sheldon from the big bang theory either. I wouldn't fancy lugging a rack and 3 bikes AND not damaging either the car or any of the proper vehicles whilst installing the bones. Surely only time wasted when it comes to loading them onto the car? Great idea for storage though.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Are those racks any good? I borrowed a friends rack and while it held the bike on fine it was a right faff with straps and stuff. It took less time to whip the front wheel off and put the bike in the boot.

Oh - and I've seen that idea before, clearly you plagiarised it. You big plagiariser you :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • SimonAH
    Are those racks any good? I borrowed a friends rack and while it held the bike on fine it was a right faff with straps and stuff. It took less time to whip the front wheel off and put the bike in the boot.

Oh - and I've seen that idea before, clearly you plagiarised it. You big plagiariser you :wink:

To be fair, really quick and simple to mount on the car - especially if you keep the top straps adjusted to the correct length for the vehicle (hence the reason for spacing the wall mounts the same as the car. Yes Mouth, I do take the bikes off it! :-D ) Seems very sturdy too - no hint of wobble even fully loaded on the road.

• twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    Very good! We had a bones before we got Roof racks for the Bim Zimmer. When you first put a bones on it is a faff. However do it a few times and it becomes second nature. We could have ours on and off in a few minutes.

I see what he has done. 10 seconds to lift the bikes off. Unhitch Saris from wall in correct position for car. Put on car. Tighten the straps and put bikes on. DONE!!

Granted taking a front wheel off is quicker however having a bike rack means you dont have to stuck dirty bikes into a clean car. We used ours for MTB and when it is muddy (99% of the time at the moment!!) it was a god send. Leaves the car free for other stuffs!!

We have bikes everywhere. Our 2 MTB's in the storage bit on the side of the house. My road bike lives in the hall or the utility room and her road bike lives in the spare room. It is good having a woman who rides. Until a few days ago the bike stand was in the living room and she didnt say a thing.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    i had a rack fall of the back of my car with my kona stinky on it

one min i could see the bike in my rear view mirror then next.... cars were swerving behind me to avoid the bike

roof mounts are where its at
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • twist83
    Oh dear!!! Mind you they weigh a ton and must be made out of Pig Iron. We have hung my Santa Cruz Blur and her Giant Trance off a lot from boot mounts and never had one fall off.

But Roof racks are where its at. Easier to put on and you still can use the boot. However it always worrys me having it wobbling around on the roof. I just need to man up.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Am I missing something with roof racks? I have a skoda roomster, which admittedly is a little higher than average medium sized cars, and admittedly, I'm not tall, but even so, I can't imagine how i would get my bike up on it. Is it only useful for superlight road bikes? Or do I need a stepladder in the boot....?

I don't believe that there is anything fundamentally wrong with rear racks. User error is user error......

Even the mid priced halfords one I have is absolutely fine, if a bit faffy to fit. But I used to have an awesome Thule rear rack (which sadly won't fit the skoda). No straps to tighten, and a rigid frame with a clever mechanism for tightening it. Fastened to top and bottom of rear hatch, so boot could be opened with it on too...
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    my kona weighed as much as a small country (over 20kgs) an that went on the roof of my astra coupe fine an dandy

the rack on the back was tightened as per de-scructions plus i always worried about tightening the straps an damaging paint or smashing the glass on the boot lid
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • twist83
    I am an Inch shy of 6 foot and we have a 1 Series which is fairly tall and I have no issues grabbing it by bottom of frame and wheel and getting it in place. We put a Santa Cruz Blur and a Giant Trance which are 120-14mm full boingers on there and they are fine.

We also have a cheap Halfords rack for the Golf which I got second hand for a tenner. He works just fine as well although the clips are a little dubious. So far so good though