iPete Posts: 6,076
edited September 2012 in Commuting chat

Comments

• clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    +1... ace
  • stuj15
    stuj15 Posts: 167
    Saw it last night, brilliant isn't it. Great use of the Public Enemy track as well.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Very good indeed
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Very good trailer, but I find myself kind of ashamed to admit that I have no interest in the Paralympics. I respect them as athletes at least as much as I respect able-bodied Olympians, but I don't think I'll be watching.

I get the feeling I'm going to get flamed. Maybe I deserve it.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Not really flame worthy, the paralympics is never going to get the same attention but its great to see CH4 throwing so much weight behind it. Am sure I'll tune in for some.
    stuj15 wrote:
    Saw it last night, brilliant isn't it. Great use of the Public Enemy track as well.

Been hammering public enemy all day since :mrgreen:
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    iPete wrote:
    Not really flame worthy, the paralympics is never going to get the same attention but its great to see CH4 throwing so much weight behind it. Am sure I'll tune in for some.
    stuj15 wrote:

Been hammering public enemy all day since :mrgreen:

I'm not interested in either to be honest, it will be fun to watch the cycling coming past since it's so close, but the rest Olympic or Paralympics i've never cared much about.

The Paralympics have had problems with lack of Competition in some fields. to the point of some fields having the same winner time and time again, over many years.

Though ex service men/women are solving that problem apparently.
  • EKE_38BPM

The Paralympics have had problems with lack of Competition in some fields. to the point of some fields having the same winner time and time again, over many years.

I remember seeing a comedian a few years ago (Frankie Boyle or Jimmy Carr probably) saying that one good thing about service men/women getting limbs blown off in Afghanistan and Iraq is that by the time the Olympics come round we should have a cracking Paralympic team. He may well be proved right.

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Awesome and humbling
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

I remember seeing a comedian a few years ago (Frankie Boyle or Jimmy Carr probably) saying that one good thing about service men/women getting limbs blown off in Afghanistan and Iraq is that by the time the Olympics come round we should have a cracking Paralympic team. He may well be proved right.
    Jimmy Carr. And he was indeed right.

Great trailer.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015

So many divisions to cover all variation of disability. I think that's why Tanni Grey Thompson was complaining in her last Olympics - she was worried about how she was being categorised because it meant she would actually be competing with someone for a gold! :lol:

Of course it is all very worthy and a terrific use of the facilities but to me about as interesting as a school sports day and pretending it is the same as the real thing is a bit Emperors new clothes. And it's a shame that events like wheelchair racing aren't in the proper Olympics - only with anyone eligible to enter. How can a wheelchair be less of a valid means of transport than a bike? If the non disabled were seen wheelchair racing (and probably being beaten by the disabled) it might actually have a real positive image benefit for wheelchairs.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Jimmy Carr. And he was indeed right.

Great trailer.

if you go mid week to BoxHill cafe, sometimes see the Headley Court lot, impressive guys and gals.

Normally trying cambers and such, ie learning to walk again.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    I just caught on to this advert - nails....

I can barely swim with all my bits and pieces - you'd need balls like boulders to willingly jump in the pool with a disability. In fact if you made me do a racing effort of 50m I'd reckon it would be 50/50 if I got to the other end.

As for the wheel chair racers, rugby players et al . . I have only ever tried a chair once (giving my Granny a trip to hampton court) gave it a go - I went all of ten meters on a pancake flat car park and gave up.

So all in all, fabulous advert and I'd do some crazy messed up sh1t to get into the velodrome - so if you have tickets and need to get something out of your system I'm your man.

Also

There's an annotated version that gives their names.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKTamH__xuQ

Claire Cashmore.. I think they filmed her in the shower just to mess with my head... Grrrrrr
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    I'm afraid I'm also a bit ho hum about the whole thing - it's the fact that you are likely to do well if you are just disabled enough to fit in a certain category... Don't get me wrong, I think it's amazing what the atheletes are able to achieve but as a competitive spectacle it's flawed.

I think it is many ways more impressive when disabled atheletes compete alongside able-bodied people and finish well down the field (like amputee soldiers completing the London Marathon. climbing mountains, etc).
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Rolf F wrote:
    Of course it is all very worthy and a terrific use of the facilities but to me about as interesting as a school sports day and pretending it is the same as the real thing is a bit Emperors new clothes. And it's a shame that events like wheelchair racing aren't in the proper Olympics - only with anyone eligible to enter. How can a wheelchair be less of a valid means of transport than a bike? If the non disabled were seen wheelchair racing (and probably being beaten by the disabled) it might actually have a real positive image benefit for wheelchairs.

+1
    Many events can be combined or included in the normal Olympics and open to everyone.

I don't see the point of the flame full stop, but seems really strange that they have a separate one for the paras!
    exercise.png
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Anyone caught I Am Spazticus? C4 show in a Dom Jolly mould where people with disabilities play jokes on the public. My current favourite is either Guide Dwarfs Association or the guy in the wheel chair with the voice synthesizer.

Proper laugh out loud funny.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • jedster wrote:
    I'm afraid I'm also a bit ho hum about the whole thing - it's the fact that you are likely to do well if you are just disabled enough to fit in a certain category... Don't get me wrong, I think it's amazing what the atheletes are able to achieve but as a competitive spectacle it's flawed.

I think it is many ways more impressive when disabled atheletes compete alongside able-bodied people and finish well down the field (like amputee soldiers completing the London Marathon. climbing mountains, etc).

the grading partically when they have events that are factored, is a bit hmmm

to copy/paste from http://www.paralympics.org.uk/sports/cycling

"Some Cycling events are also factored. This happens when cyclists from different classes compete against each other and means that the results take into account the severity of the impairments of each competitor. As a result, some riders within an event will have their times ‘factored’ while other riders will not. The gold medal goes to the athlete with the fastest time after all the required times have been factored."

the Road races are dreadfully short 6km to 15km round Brands hatch....

i suspect most could leave me for dust so why not a proper road race?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

Ask Colin Lynch: https://twitter.com/TTworldchamp

AKA Pokerface (used to spend a lot of time on here - mainly in road/pro-race).

He's TT world champ for his disability level thingy.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699

Ask Colin Lynch: https://twitter.com/TTworldchamp

AKA Pokerface (used to spend a lot of time on here - mainly in road/pro-race).

He's TT world champ for his disability level thingy.
    Number one rule of race prep: don't bring the wrong leg to the track. Especially when you're missing the bits to put it on! #fauxpas
    :lol:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    jedster wrote:

the grading partically when they have events that are factored, is a bit hmmm

to copy/paste from http://www.paralympics.org.uk/sports/cycling

"Some Cycling events are also factored. This happens when cyclists from different classes compete against each other and means that the results take into account the severity of the impairments of each competitor. As a result, some riders within an event will have their times ‘factored’ while other riders will not. The gold medal goes to the athlete with the fastest time after all the required times have been factored."

the Road races are dreadfully short 6km to 15km round Brands hatch....

The road race CIRCUIT is 6km. But the race itself is many laps of the same circuit. They keep the circuit short(ish) to accommodate the different classes of rider. Handcyclsits and Trikes will do just a few laps, whilst tandems will do something like 20 laps. My TT there is 16km, higher classes will be 24km and Tandems 30km I believe.

Races are kept 'short' to allow them to run them all. If they were all 120km, it would take too long to fit them all in. My Road race is 70km and is plenty long enough!

To those (EKE-MIKE) who have no interest in watching the Paralympics - can totally understand that. It's not for everyone. However - the cycling (especially track cycling) is pretty damn good, especially Tandem Sprinting. I suggest you tune in on Sunday and have a watch - it will blow you away.

A lot of Paralympic sports are a bit dull to watch, but some of the athletics, swimming and cycling is just as exciting as the able-bodied stuff.
  • Bloody good effort in the velodrome, matey! Gutted to see you just missed out. Fingers crossed for your other events...
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Had a good chuckle at the friend of swimmer Ellie Simmonds who was telling the radio interviewer what a well grounded young women her mate Ellie is......apparently she never "Bigs herself up"
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • EKE_38BPM
    Pokerface wrote:
    To those (EKE-MIKE) who have no interest in watching the Paralympics - can totally understand that. It's not for everyone. However - the cycling (especially track cycling) is pretty damn good, especially Tandem Sprinting. I suggest you tune in on Sunday and have a watch - it will blow you away.

I did and it did.

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Can't describe this whole shooting match in words. It's brilliant, superb, all the way down to the C4 Last Leg prog and its #IsItOk tag. Don't want it to end.

I was another one to be counted amongst the doubters when this all started to take off after the Proper Olympics [yeah]. It's addictive.
  • Fifth for Pokerface in the time trial.

Road race tomorrow.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Its all about Bethany Woodward....
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    CiB wrote:
    Can't describe this whole shooting match in words. It's brilliant, superb, all the way down to the C4 Last Leg prog and its #IsItOk tag. Don't want it to end.

I was another one to be counted amongst the doubters when this all started to take off after the Proper Olympics [yeah]. It's addictive.

Embarrassed to say that I had a hissy fit when didn't get "proper" tickets, and refused to bid for para tickets. Fortunately my wife talked me round. had a park ticket saturday and saw goal ball and wheelchair basketball - both fantastic. ( i didn't find wheelchair tennis that entertaining, but then I'm not the biggest tennis fan anyway).

Going to the stadium tonight for athletics, and men's sitting volleyball finals on Saturday - absolutely stoked...
  • rick_chasey
    Picture_186.png
  • rick_chasey
    Greg66 wrote:
    Fifth for Pokerface in the time trial.

Road race tomorrow.

He's not happy about it either.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    That's a great photo