Soler retires

Comments

• inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Not unexpected, but very sad.

It was a pleasure to watch him ride (albeit irregularly), hope he continues to recover from his injuries and has a good life
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    That is sad- I knew it was unlikely, but I hoped he would be able to race at some level in the future.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    sad news but hope he can live the rest of his life ok
  • Abdoujaparov
    Abdoujaparov Posts: 642
    Real shame - you've got to feel massively for the guy. What a rider.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    He was exciting to watch and no respecter of reputation. He was part of a Barloword team that did themselves so proud when they came to the Tour.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    Very sad indeed. One of my favourite riders of recent times. Best wishes to him for the future.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Real shame to read he had to quit but from what we can see of news reports, he has made a recovery back to a decent quality of life, walking and speaking coherently from what I saw, so am just glad to read he's still got his life to look forward to. Cycling would only have been a few year s more of it and he's got some pretty cool palmares as they stand!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Real shame to read he had to quit but from what we can see of news reports, he has made a recovery back to a decent quality of life, walking and speaking coherently from what I saw, so am just glad to read he's still got his life to look forward to. Cycling would only have been a few year s more of it and he's got some pretty cool palmares as they stand!

+1
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Really sad story but he appears to have made a good recovery in terms
    of mobility and speech...some memories. Neuro surgeons in non euthanasia countries
    keep people alive who have none of what Soller
    has recovered.....to the severe long term distress of their
    carers, often direct family, after spouse has left, and to a quality of life that is a fate worse than death I promise
    you
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    Good to see that he has a quality of life. What a shame about loosing all of the footage of his victories, surely there must be some footage of them available? Maybe a forumite could hook him up with some?!
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    @UranRigoberto
    Hoy hace 3años un grave accidente nos alejo a Mauricio Soler de las carreteras hoy sigue luchando por su recuperación
    BqXt3s4CcAAA7Ai.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Thanks for updating the thread Frenchie. Any chance someone out there could do a translation job please? Interested in knowing how Soler's getting along.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    3 years ago today a serious accident took Soler from the roads and still today he continues to fight for his recovery
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Thanks. Surely his leg in the cast is not a hangover from the accident?

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey