Soap

TheEnglishman
TheEnglishman Posts: 587
edited July 2012 in Commuting chat
Can anyone (perhaps this is one for the ladies?) recommend a soap/shower gel that's not going to try to take the top layer of my skin off and remove every last bit of grease? I'm getting really dry skin using my usual wash and go stuff and there has to be something 'better' out there.

Comments

• clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I use this - I get really bad excema and it works a treat.

http://www.sanex.co.uk/sanex-dermo-intensive
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    I'm a sensitive skin type - used to have issues with eczema as a kid - I only use organic cosmetics now, have done for a few years, and don't get any problems. Holland & Barrett do a range of 'Dr Organic' shower gels, deodorants and lotions etc that I would recommend, and they aren't that much more expensive than conventional products.
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • Shower gels can be very harsh. I avoid anything with the ingredients SLS or SLES. Make sure you rinse them off carefully. Unscented soap like Simple is OK for me. +1 for the Dr Organic stuff too.
  • Don't start me on Soap. "Simple"? Yeah right.
  • Ginjafro
    Ginjafro Posts: 572
    Pure vegetable oil soap, just veg' oil and no other ingredients.
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Simple Object Access Protocol?!

Spot the geek!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Dove? Or not soft enough?
  • gtvlusso wrote:

Spot the geek!

well I thought it was going to be about the old American sit com
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    gtvlusso wrote:

Spot the geek!

i cant really see some xml taking your off the top layers of your skin....but it is mind numbingly boring though

Original Sauce - lime an chilli flavour is the best i have used

OS-LimeandChilli.jpg
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    My missus use "simple" products as well and "Cidal" Soap.

She swears by Cidal.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    +1 for Dove from me, or if you can hold your breath to go into Lush, some of their soaps dont smelly too pongy and are nice on my skin.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    I just use whatever is on offer at the supermarket. At the moment Original Source. I believe it is located next to the MTFU tablets which are on offer ;) (Awaits the sensitive skin brigade)
  • mudcow007
    msmancunia wrote:
    +1 for Dove from me, or if you can hold your breath to go into Lush, some of their soaps dont smelly too pongy and are nice on my skin.

hwo in gods green earth do people work in Lush or The Body Shop

them places reek of (admittingly nice) smelly stuff but you can still smell it hours afterwards after going in there

also....has anyone else ever bit a bath bomb? i can tell you know its not pretty an it makes you look like you have rabies with all the froth outta your mouth
  • mudcow007 wrote:
    OS-LimeandChilli.jpg

Inspired! Certainly a way to MTFU. I can't cope with Lush as a store - going in in an NBC suit will most likely get me a strip search at Hammersmith nick.

So Dove or I'll pop into H&B at lunchtime to try their offerings and get a couple of casesof these:-

MTFU.jpg
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    mudcow007 wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:

hwo in gods green earth do people work in Lush or The Body Shop

them places reek of (admittingly nice) smelly stuff but you can still smell it hours afterwards after going in there

also....has anyone else ever bit a bath bomb? i can tell you know its not pretty an it makes you look like you have rabies with all the froth outta your mouth

Why would you even want to bite a bath bomb?!

One of my friends used to live above the Lush on Carnaby Street. I couldn't stay more than 30 mins because the smell gave me such a bad headache. He ended up moving because it had such a detrimental affect on his personal (read: sex) life.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • mudcow007
    msmancunia wrote:

Why would you even want to bite a bath bomb?!

it was one of them moments "i wonder what this will be like" i dunno i was young an impressionable

i can tell you they dont taste as good as they smell though
  • msmancunia wrote:
    .... if you can hold your breath to go into Lush, some of their soaps dont smelly too pongy and are nice on my skin.

Early birthday present hints, huh? :wink:
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    +1 on the Sanex suggestions (all varieties seem to work well).

The Original Source stuff smells good, but seemed to exacerbate my dry skin.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I like Original Source mint (makes your bits tingle hehe).

Ms DDD said that I reminded her of an after dinner mint.

#racial....
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Clearly I'm not a sensitive type, but if I've been near my bike then anything less than
    swarfega_original.jpg
    and I remain a grimy (albeit sweet smelling) urchin.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    Ms DDD said that I reminded her of an after dinner mint.

She probably meant cheap,unfulfilling and lacking in taste :wink:
  • ToeKnee
    ToeKnee Posts: 376
    I have used http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swarfega for majorly greasy hands ... followed by lots of soap (Dove) and water.

Nowadays I try to avoid grease in the first place and either use barrier creams or gloves prior to tackling greasy jobs. My saddle bag contains disposable gloves (food hygiene types) which I wear when undoing the fairy's work or sorting mechanical/drive chain issues.
    Seneca wrote:
    It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.
    Specialized TriCross Sport+Ultegra+Rack&Bag+Guards+Exposure Lights - FCN 7
    Track:Condor 653, MTB:GT Zaskar, Road & TT:Condors.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I think I've mentioned this before, but if hands are very greasy wash with a good glug of olive or cooking oil (no water) then a squirt of washing up liquid (still no water) then rinse (now with water obviously). Works a treat and always available by the kitchen sink.

For those of you with nails (laydees and guitar stranglers such as myself) then barrier cream is indeed your friend. I have it in squirty cans from RS (free from work :-D )
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • SimonAH wrote:
    if hands are very greasy wash with a good glug of olive or cooking oil

Should that be before or after using it to cook my chips?
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I just use a normal bar of cheap soap and then moisturise properly afterwards with sweet almond oil (usually used in massage) keeps my skin supple and moist!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,341
    SimonAH wrote:
    I think I've mentioned this before, but if hands are very greasy wash with a good glug of olive or cooking oil (no water) then a squirt of washing up liquid (still no water) then rinse (now with water obviously). Works a treat and always available by the kitchen sink.

For those of you with nails (laydees and guitar stranglers such as myself) then barrier cream is indeed your friend. I have it in squirty cans from RS (free from work :-D )

Alternatively, washing up liquid and a handful of sugar really good at getting the grime out of the 'grooves' of your finger prints. Whilst these may be near the sink, one does not generally get bonus points for grimy hand prints on the sugar/cooking oil, so an assistant is handy. As for nails, get a good stiff nail brush -short plastic bristles, none of this natural fibre nonsense - and set about it with some vigour. Actually, the nail brush works well for the hands in general, although my hands look about 10 years older than the rest of me, so maybe ignore this.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • navt
    navt Posts: 374
    Real men don't use soap. Come to think of it, we don't wash either.
  • navt wrote:
    Single men don't use soap. Come to think of it, we don't wash either.

Edited for truth
  • Chuck Norris doesn't use soap and water, he just looks at himself in the Mirror and says "I'm clean" and the dirt just falls off him :roll:
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1