Strava in the process of being sued?

2»

Comments

• Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    487293_442871785734828_1310222466_n.jpg

So who do I sue for making me crash attempting to make the pretty lights show high numbers?
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    BigMat wrote:
    Re shooting - why do people feel the need? I'm sure its a bit of fun, but why not just go paintballing / play call of duty? What is it about the feel of a loaded gun in your hands? All strikes me as totally unnecessary and inviting trouble. I appreciate I'm talking largely from ignorance but I would happily see gun ownership banned with the exception of those who need them to earn a living e.g. some farmers.

Just you wait for the zombie apocalypse, we'll see who's laughing THEN Matt
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    BigMat wrote:
    Re shooting - why do people feel the need? I'm sure its a bit of fun, but why not just go paintballing / play call of duty? What is it about the feel of a loaded gun in your hands? All strikes me as totally unnecessary and inviting trouble. I appreciate I'm talking largely from ignorance but I would happily see gun ownership banned with the exception of those who need them to earn a living e.g. some farmers.

PMSL. That's a bit like saying why don't people that play football just play Subutteo (sp?) or FIFA 2012..? There's no comparison. And who would count as a "farmer"? I also think you'll find that very few target or sporting weapons are used in crime - banning it would solve nothing, remove a HUGE amount of money from the UK economy and deny a lot of people their sporting pursuit. As a nation, we're actually very good at shooting too - often winning good medals at the Olympics.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    BigMat wrote:

For starters, i don't shoot. I tried it once, i was crap.

Of course it's unnecessary, but then so is cycling as a hobby. Why not just go to a gym and sit on an exercise bike? See what i'm getting at?

And as for banning them..... it would'nt make a jot of difference to guncrime. The firearms used in the vast majority of guncrime are illegal weapons held by un-licenced folk. How many reported shootings can you recall that involved someone with a licence? Hungerford, Dunblaine, Tony Martin & Roaul Moat are the only that spring to mind. 4 in 30 years isnt bad going. How many licenced car drivers have killed pedestrians/other drivers in that timeframe?
  • bushu
    bushu Posts: 711
    On a serious note - :lol:
    can't we all just sue america for lack of common sense,
    an have a restraining order to keep them from funking everything else

possibly a big fence to keep them there but that would be against some delusional 'god' given rights
    had your chance and proved your just as bad as the empire we were so quick to forget

ps. i like guns for hunting and protection against governments, but we do have alot of of people that dont understand the reality that guns are made for killing, not settling disputes.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I guess 4 massacres in 30 years isn't too bad. 4 less would have been nice though. But to be fair, I'm generally against the nanny state, excessive legislation etc so I'm not too up in arms about it.

I think shooting must be the least credible of all Olympic sports for the record, I mean even darts involves some degree of athleticism (its all in the elbow) but shooting?!
  • peat
    I dunno, it is a highly skilled discipline. There are lots of events like it at the games that are not 'athletic' (Archery, dinghy sailing etc) as such.

I think we need a new thread... ;)
  • meanredspider
    BigMat wrote:
    I think shooting must be the least credible of all Olympic sports for the record, I mean even darts involves some degree of athleticism (its all in the elbow) but shooting?!

PMSL again - that's like saying cycling is a worthless sport because you do it sitting down. After all, you only twirl your legs around...! For someone who professes total ignorance of a sport, you're not afraid of casting judgement. Do you read the Daily Mail? :wink::wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    As has been said it is the users who put the segments in.

I'd of thought most segments being mostly on the road have risks and holdups.

be that traffic lights, traffic etc.

My experience of the few sportives/big group rides is with a modicum of skill you can put some time in others downhill, since they tend to panic brake though the corners and not look though them, but look at the tree/stone on the bend!

thats not to say I don't look at some Strava segments and go Hmmm but again thats ones choice.
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    I will not get on the high horse that I usually do when dragged into a debate about shooting as a sport. Just the one post below.

What is the point in shooting? It is a sport. Just because it does not involve getting a sweat on... It requires a massive amount of hand to eye co-ordination also a lot of strength to manage recoil and bring the gun up to bear. We are not talking .22 pellet guns here.

Comparing target shooting, clays etc and then saying go Paintball or COD. Yeah ok good comparison. You shoot people in those 2 examples. It is indeed an incredibly fun sport, is that not what sport should be like. It is also one the of the most controlled safety wise sports going for obvious reasons. I have taken a few doubters shooting before and both have loved it. Also several have seen a competition or two I have entered and seen the safety aspect. There is NO tolerance at all regarding poor gun handling or watching muzzle angles etc.

Your sentence is just another typical response from someone who doesnt understand shooting as a sport. Also asking for trouble please.... Obtaining a firearm is a lengthy process and due to the cost and time Involved in not only getting a licence but purchasing firearms and ammo it puts it out of reach of your general idiot. We do not all walk round with guns slung over our shoulders or tucked in our waist bands like in the movies.

The club I go to has a wide mix of backgrounds including a Surgeon, 2 Doctors, Inspector in the Police force and various others. We also do a MASSIVE amount for Help For Heroes and run 2 Charity matches a year where thousands are raised.
  • bigmat
    BigMat wrote:

PMSL again - that's like saying cycling is a worthless sport because you do it sitting down. After all, you only twirl your legs around...! For someone who professes total ignorance of a sport, you're not afraid of casting judgement. Do you read the Daily Mail? :wink::wink:

Touchy! To be fair, it is the event that distils physical input into the movement of a finger. For me that's not sport. Not saying it doesn't involve skill, but any event that could, in theory, be won by the 70 stone baby killer that I watched on TV the other night shouldn't really be in the Olympics. I'm not sure I professed "total ignorance" of this particular passtime either, I'm open to being educated as to why you need to be an elite athlete to fire a gun though.

EDIT: I accept there is a range of shooting disciplines - I'm mainly talking about the rifle range type stuff, clay pigeon shooting involves a bit more movement - its practically up there with golf!
  • meanredspider
    BigMat wrote:
    BigMat wrote:

Touchy! To be fair, it is the event that distils physical input into the movement of a finger. For me that's not sport. Not saying it doesn't involve skill, but any event that could, in theory, be won by the 70 stone baby killer that I watched on TV the other night shouldn't really be in the Olympics. I'm not sure I professed "total ignorance" of this particular passtime either, I'm open to being educated as to why you need to be an elite athlete to fire a gun though.

Not touchy at all - just very amused - it's all very Daily Mail.

All I can say is try it - then, from a position of awareness & understanding, comment. I'm not even sure (from what you've written) you understand half of the shooting disciplines that exist. Or the degree of control over their bodies the elite target shots have. Or the degree of hand-eye coordination that, say, a skeet shot needs. These are exactly what the Olympics are all about - the hours, weeks and years of dedicated training to achieve these results.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    BigMat wrote:
    BigMat wrote:

EDIT: I accept there is a range of shooting disciplines - I'm mainly talking about the rifle range type stuff, clay pigeon shooting involves a bit more movement - its practically up there with golf!

Are you just trolling?! I don't shoot, but it's obvious that it's not just who can move their finger best. If it's easy why don't you have gold? Just didn't fancy it this year? It's about concentration, breathing, focus, managing recoil etc. Lots of stuff that's obvious to me, and as I said I don't even shoot.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • meanredspider
    BigMat wrote:

And you think the ability to control your body (right down to your heartbeat) to consistently put a bullet time-and-again, day-in day-out, through a tiny target just happens? Sure, you don't need enormous lungs or huge muscles but sport it certainly is.
  • bigmat
    BigMat wrote:

And you think the ability to control your body (right down to your heartbeat) to consistently put a bullet time-and-again, day-in day-out, through a tiny target just happens? Sure, you don't need enormous lungs or huge muscles but sport it certainly is.

I'll be honest, I'm just trolling here. For me, it falls the wrong side of the line between "sport" and "discipline". I can see that it takes a lot of skill. For the record, I have had a go a few times, most recently a bit of pigeon shooting. My initial observation was that its the kind of thing that most people with decent coordination / reactions could be very good at if they spent a lot of time practicing. Athletic ability required = virtually none. Recoil my ar*e, get a decent gun, learn how to hold it, that isn't going to trouble anybody.
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    LOL at learn how to hold it. That is the same with ANY sport or Discipline. Spend long enough doing it and you will become good at it. As has been said putting a bullet through the same spot time after time or hitting every clay time after time does take a lot of practice and skill. The same with any sport.

I can assure you just doing it a few times and a bit of practice and anyone can do it is rubbish. It is more accessible granted to more people who have the time/money to practice but it is a skill that needs a lot of fine tuning none the less.
  • meanredspider
    The difference between good & great is massive. It's a very long time since I've shot but 20-odd years ago I used to shoot skeet at the Kingsferry Gun Club on the Isle of Sheppey (perfect place for a gun club...). I was a pretty handy shot by any standards but the club had members of the Great Britain team attend - they simply didn't miss - truly awesome. If "getting out of puff" or "needing to push some weights" is your definition of what makes a proper Olympic sport, then it isn't an Olympic sport - but I'd disagree with your definition
  • bigmat
    Fair enough. I do think an element of athletic ability is what differentiates a sport from a skill based pursuit, but its a blurred line I'll grant you. I'll file shooting alongside darts (not an Olympic sport for some reason) :)
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    Twist, MRS, not sure why you're bothering after this
    BigMat wrote:
    I'll be honest, I'm just trolling here.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,341
    BigMat wrote:
    Fair enough. I do think an element of athletic ability is what differentiates a sport from a skill based pursuit, but its a blurred line I'll grant you. I'll file shooting alongside darts (not an Olympic sport for some reason) :)

So what about archery? Is that really any different because you have to pull the string back (I'm fairly sure the strength required to pull a modern bow is nothing like that required on, say a medieval longbow).
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • SimonAH

• wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Peat wrote:
    I dunno, it is a highly skilled discipline. There are lots of events like it at the games that are not 'athletic' (Archery, dinghy sailing etc) as such.

Umm, you haven't actually done any competitive dinghy sailing, have you?

Perhaps you should look for a better example... :-)

Cheers,
    W.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    The winter olympic shooting where they do cross country skiing and shooting looks bloody hard. How do you shoot straight when you're knackered from the skiing? Do they practice SCR skin breathing techniques?
  • peat
    Peat wrote:

Umm, you haven't actually done any competitive dinghy sailing, have you?

Perhaps you should look for a better example... :-)

Cheers,
    W.

I was using it to make a point that you don't have to be running around for something to be a sport.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hi,
    Aha! Sorry... didn't get that at alll!

Thought you were lining it up with "control" sports (shooting, archery) as opposed to those that demand physical ability. Sailing's highly tactical, too, of course...

I'm a bit down on sports which are judged subjectively on aesthetics... I have a good bit of sympathy for the view that sport at this level should be quantatively rather than qualitatively assessed. Swimmimg? yes; diving? not so much..

Cheers,
    W.
  • veronese68
    Isn't diving just fancy falling over?
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    edited July 2012
    And synchronised swimming ?

PS I'm putting the stabilisers back on my bike
  • veronese68
  • SimonAH
    And, if we're honest, gymnastics. They are all qualatively judged.