questions on buying an MTB!

cammyb96
cammyb96 Posts: 107
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
I am looking for a new bike and since my price range is very awkward (£200-300) I have decided to buy a bike in parts!. Should I buy a hard-tail or a suspension bike for downhill?

Comments

• waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    You would get a better spec bike if you bought one off the shelf I think.

What about either;

a) trying a Decathlon Rockrider or a Carrera (Valour?)
    or
    b) Buying second hand (provided you have the knowledge and confidence)
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    if you went single speed and was very keen on ebay you might be able to be inside budget

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Be-One-Karma- ... 500wt_1156

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-MT15- ... _600wt_952

5 mins work, got bored looking at forks, and you would be better off buying used good forks rather than the rst sorts that would come on a bike of a price of £300

but you need to decide if you want new or used parts, and would be stuck with cable disk's to start off with
  • cammyb96
    title covers it all, what is best for downhill MTB? hard-tail or suspension.
  • Where will you be riding?
    Also budget?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Depends whether you mean Downhill or riding down hills.
    Downhill bikes are expensive and you wouldn't even get a decent second hand set of forks for your budget.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    If you are DHing they there is no point looking at a HT.

Unless you are just wanting to play on some DHish slopes.

And how many thousand are you wanting to spend?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cammyb96
    Budget is £200-300
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    I think there may be some confusion over what 'downhill' means in MTB terms.

Riding down hills, isn't the same as 'Downhill'. Whole world of difference.

And for 200-300 pound, don't even consider rear suspension. Even 2nd hand.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    You won't get anywhere near a dh bike for that price - depends what you're calling dh though. At your budget, a hardtail is a far better bet. You'll get far more for you're money of you go second hand but otherwise look at the offerings from halfords and decathlon.
  • Clank
    Edited: subject's been covered above.

Nothin' to see here....
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

• cammyb96
    what do you mean "it depends what you think downhill is"? isn't downhill going on dirt tracks and mainly using gravity? like the MTB world cup in fort William?
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    cammyb96 wrote:
    what do you mean "it depends what you think downhill is"? isn't downhill going on dirt tracks and mainly using gravity? like the MTB world cup in fort William?

Many people confuse riding down hills with riding downhill.
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • Clank
    cammyb96 wrote:

A second hand hardtail to tackle that kind of terrain? Times your budget by at least 3. Full-suss, times your budget by 5. Even then, choose your ride with extreme caution.

However.......

Learn the bike-handling skills needed first, because having the right bike won't help if you haven't got the inventory of skills to use it. Start easy and build it gradualy.

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    What you need to get started riding downhill is an Apollo full suspension bike and a go-pro camera. Fort William is a great beginners track.

Or you could be a bit more sensible about it and save up the £1000+ you will need for an older, used downhill bike. Anything less than tends to be a bag of shoot which will eat cash to keep it working.
    £450 is about the minimum for a used frame. Look up used Giant Glory's, Iron Horse Sunday's and not a proper downhill bike but Specialized Big Hits are ok as a beginners freeride bike.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    cammyb96 wrote:

Good luck with your choice of attempting the fort William DH course on a £300 bike.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    If he does that I will post my go-pro to him, I'm willing to take the chance of not seeing it again for the slim possibility of seeing someone ride fort William on a £300 bike. Also never seen helmet camera footage from the winch up to a big yellow helicopter :-)