8-speed, 13-26t

seanorawe
seanorawe Posts: 950
edited March 2015 in Road beginners
I dont really understand too much about gears. My expert knowledge is, if its not right then change the gear.

Anyway, my bike has this cassette. Is this more harsh for hills or is it supposed to be better? I find its just ok on the steep climbs but the junp form easier gears to more harsh gears is massive, and I spin on descents really quickly. Thus, reducing the top speed.
Cube Attain SL Disc
Giant CRS 2.0

Comments

• lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    It's impossible to say without also knowing how many teeth you have on the chainrings as well (i.e. whether the chainset is standard, compact or triple) because gear ratios are determined by the difference between the number of teeth on each cassette sprocket and the chainring.
  • seanorawe
    lc1981 wrote:
    It's impossible to say without also knowing how many teeth you have on the chainrings as well (i.e. whether the chainset is standard, compact or triple) because gear ratios are determined by the difference between the number of teeth on each cassette sprocket and the chainring.

CASSETTE Shimano HG-50, 8-speed, 13-26t

CRANKSET Shimano 2300 compact CHAINRINGS 50/34
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    Your lowest gear (34t chainring and the 26t sprocket) is a reasonably low gear for a road bike. Some come with 28t sprockets on the cassette, which would make it lower still, but unless you're doing lots of climbing, I wouldn't think it was necessary. The way to work out the ratio is to divide the number of teeth on the chainring by the number on the sprocket. The lower the number, the lower the gear.
  • MartinB2444
    MartinB2444 Posts: 266
    The compact chain rings with a 13-26 cassette seems like a very reasonable arrangement for an 8 speed cassette. Your top gear will be a bit low and but if you had an 11-26 or even 28 cassette you would have bigger gaps between the gears which would make it harder for you to pedal at an even cadence across the gears. I think it's just going to be a matter of time before you get used to the gearing and feel comfortable with it
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    If you find that you are running out of top end gears on the flat / gentle descents then get an 11-25/26/28 or similar cassette. just bear in mind you will have an extra jump or two somewhere in the gearing to live with. Personally I'd take a bit of extra range over tightness of gear ratios, but each unto their own.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • ineedalager
    ineedalager Posts: 374
    I have the 2011 Allez and it came with 53/39 and 13-26 cassette. I know the 2012 now has the 50/34 which would have been better for me. Anyway as soon as I got the bike I found I was grinding up the hills and getting into top gear 53 -13 much too easy so I had the shop change the cassette to an 11-28 which made a big diffence on the hills going up and down!

The spec for the rear mech says max rear sprocket 26 but the shop said it will handle a 28 if set up correctly. I have recently change the chainset to a 50/34 aswell and upgraded to a Tiagra hollow tech bottom bracket instead of the 2300 square tapper one.

My advice to you would be take the bike to your Spesh dealer buy an 11-28 cassette from them and they will usually fit it for free it cost me about £42 to have mine done at my Spesh shop.
  • Yukirin
    Yukirin Posts: 231
    I run a 7 speed 13-26 with 52/42 on the front. I swapped out my 11 for an extra middle gear as I found I rarely used it and could do with a smaller jump in the middle of the cassette. can still do 35mph on the 52/13 without spinning out and can climb ditchling on the 42/26 (though a 39/28 would make my life so much easier, but I dont find my way that far south often!)
    The gaps between the gears are a bit jumpy, but thats life on a 7 speed
  • seanorawe
    t4tomo wrote:
    If you find that you are running out of top end gears on the flat / gentle descents then get an 11-25/26/28 or similar cassette. just bear in mind you will have an extra jump or two somewhere in the gearing to live with. Personally I'd take a bit of extra range over tightness of gear ratios, but each unto their own.

Range is defo a problem. On some flats Im moving up the gears very rapidly. And the cadence is too much for leisure ride. Ill speak to the LBS
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • seanorawe
    Will an 11-28 go with the 50/34 chainset? Why is it called an 8 speed? :?
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • ineedalager
    seanorawe wrote:
    Will an 11-28 go with the 50/34 chainset? Why is it called an 8 speed? :?

Yes 11-28 will go with a 50/34 it is what I run on my 2011 Allez.

That's how many sprockets you have on the rear cassette in truth it's 16 speed because you have 2 chainrings on the cranks. It's just how group sets are described 8/9/10 speed some have a double on the front and some have a triple which mutiplies up to even more gears. But that's how you will find them referred to on here.

The best thing is to take it back to your Spesh dealer and ask their advice tell them the problems your having or if you bought online your local bike shop.
  • seanorawe
    Nice one

So can I change to a 9 or 10 speed if I wanted to?
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • ineedalager
    You can but it's expensive as you have to change gear/brakes levers as well. For your needs an 11-28 cassette will help get up the hills and stop you spinning out on the way down. Lots of people recommend 12-27/28 but they are more expensive and harder to get hold of!
  • Yukirin
    Yukirin Posts: 231
    You can but it's expensive as you have to change gear/brakes levers as well. For your needs an 11-28 cassette will help get up the hills and stop you spinning out on the way down. Lots of people recommend 12-27/28 but they are more expensive and harder to get hold of!

shouldnt be hard to get hold of. Maybe your lbs is only stocking the most popular combinations as complete cassettes, but they should have a selection of single cogs which they can swap about to make you anything you want.
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    Sorry to bump an old topic but do 11-26t cassettes not exist in 8-speed?

I always want what I can't have.
  • Manc33 wrote:

Sram 870:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SRAM-870-8-SP ... 25a1942c0e
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Ah but our pal here won't have SRAM as it's 'Not Shimano'.

A dilemma !
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Miche do some nice 8 speed cassetes

http://www.bike24.com/p220046.html

Old fashioned gearing ratios though.

If you really wanted a 11-26 which don't seem to exist you could make up one from combining cogs from different cassetes.
  • Manc33
    I'd be more worried about the above 11-26t being a used cassette than it being SRAM. :P

So they used to make them... but not now. :?

I mean the PG870 is one above what's currently on sale, the PG850. You can still get the PC870 chain but not the cassette.

I started to think they weren't a possibility (something to do with the way the sprockets are staggered compared to each other). I'm sure on Sheldon Brown it says certain sized sprockets cannot be put next to others a certain size. I think he was talking about x-27t.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Manc33 wrote:

You don't need an 11.
  • Manc33
    Keezx wrote:
    Manc33 wrote:

You don't need an 11.

I currently have a 11-32t on my bike and use the 11t quite a bit on the middle chainring. I also use it downhill on the big ring on pretty much every hill I go down. If this wasn't the case I would have already just bought the 12-26t on sale everywhere. :P
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Manc33 wrote:
    Keezx wrote:
    Manc33 wrote:

You don't need an 11.

I currently have a 11-32t on my bike and use the 11t quite a bit on the middle chainring. I also use it downhill on the big ring on pretty much every hill I go down. If this wasn't the case I would have already just bought the 12-26t on sale everywhere. :P

Don't use the 11t in the middle chainring, shift to the bigger chainring and have a better chain line.
    You saying you'd be regularly spinning out in a 12t sprocket and your outer chainring?
  • Manc33
    I find myself changing into that top gear downhill quite a bit, most hills.

52x12 @ 90 RPM = about 30 MPH.
    52x11 @ 90 RPM = about 35 MPH.

My top speed downhill is only ever going to be around 35 MPH (I'm on flat bars) but with 52x12 it would mean mean me pedaling at 100 RPM to go 35 MPH... in other words I run out of gears.

There's only three sprockets on the outer chainring that don't overlap with the gears on the middle chainring so I pretty much never use or need the outer on the flat.

So how do they go at 60 MPH+ downhill on the TdF? I mean not every cyclist that went 60 MPH was "skiing" was he? :lol: That's getting on for double the top speed I go. :twisted: