sweaty clothes

isimba
isimba Posts: 44
edited July 2012 in Commuting general
I am tempted to start commuting to work. The route would be 16 miles per leg slightly hilly depending which route I take (depending if I take the hybrid or road bike). Now the distance doesn't bother me. The issue is my cycling clothes during the day. Do you lot try and attempted to dry your shorts and jersey or do you just whack them on wet at the end of the day for the ride home?

Not sure I fancy cycling home in sweaty clothes.....

Comments

• I leave them in the draft of a computer server's fans or just the back of your desktop PC - anywhere with a warm draft. Gets a bit whify on Friday when my socks are stiffer than cardboard.
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    whack them on wet, they dry out soon enough before getting wet again :)
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    Gotta dry them dude - a lot depends on your office/workspace. I tend to hang mine over a heater/air conditioner in my office during lunch break. Its easy to keep a spare fresh pair of undershorts/socks for the evening commute too - that makes a diff!
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    Decent riding kit does not stay wet from sweat very long at all I find. I have 3 sets of Bib shorts and 3 normal shorts and a few jerseys. However from arriving to leaving work they are bone dry. In fact I would say they are dry within an hour or two max.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Try using a desk fan to help dry them out if you've not really got anywhere. I hang my kit in a corner on 'hangers' from a shelf. Dry out fast with a fan. Visiting other sites is another matter. I carry a space base layer, as my kit stays damp in the panniers - not nice.
  • Make sure that your cycle clothing is of the right material. Cotton for instance would take forever to dry.

I have pretty much a complete set of gear in my draw for emergencies but generally I try to dry stuff out and will wear both ways even if a little damp.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • twoshots
    twoshots Posts: 58
    Fresh kit on the way in, what ever it happens to be on the way home. Summer is always the worst, rain wet smells less than sweaty wet I tend to find. 5 minutes on the bike and it doesn't really matter anyway.

Racks, radiators, back of the chair, under the desk, there's lots of places to stash stuff. Next to the MD's desk is the best place if you're short of space! Just a gentle hint.
  • jakjtb
    jakjtb Posts: 111
    we have a massive air compressor in the factory i work in, it pounds out hot air and can dry my gear in about ten mins. problem solved.

when i start uni i've no idea where i will be drying my clothes. dont think the lecturer will be impressed if i go in the super expensive studios pee wet through
    i find that if you just talk, your mouth comes out with stuff - Karl Pilkington
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Putting wet kit on isn't much fun. I have a radiator in my office which is ok in winter but sweaty kit in summer takes some drying. I just spread it out as much as I can and the smell keeps undesireables out of my office!
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Sweaty wet is sticky and clammy compared to rain wet. If you wear the same kit all week it will get whiffy. Best to try and dry it out or at least hang it somewhwere the air can circulate round it without causing offence to others.
  • anthdci
    anthdci Posts: 543
    mine all goes in the coms room. its small and full of switches and routers making it one of the warmest rooms in the building. My stuff is always dry when I put it on to go home even if it has been raining all the way in.
  • hoolio
    hoolio Posts: 139
    I used to hang my stuff under my desk - I put a couple of screws in the underside and ran some string between them creating my own little "washing line". I also had a neutradol air freshener down there to try and avoid offending work colleagues - as a mate said to me once, you don't want to be the "smelly guy" at work. The site I work on now has a dedicated drying room, free showers, and lockers for cyclists and there's always someone complaining that there isn't enough room on the changing benches. We have free showers ffs!