SRM's and Radio ban??

2»

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    If you asked an experienced rider like Rogers or Wiggins to ride for a certain amount of time at 400W without access to a power meter, I reckon they could do it to within 10W either way. The computer just confirms what they probably already know.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    So why ride with it?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    ThomThom wrote:
    So why ride with it?
    1. Because it's more accurate
    2. Because it provides actual data for coaches
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    RichN95 wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    So why ride with it?
    2. Because it provides actual data for coaches

Indeed. Note - when Wiggins crosses the line in the final TT, he presses 'stop' on his SRM before he punches the air...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Surely the data could be handled with after the stages or races. I don't have a problem with data that could help the riders progressing. Not at all. If they have an impact on the actual races then I think it's a problem.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,161
    Anyone know about the security of the data transmission?
    I can't imagine these systems were initially developed with high level encryption. Look out for the nerdy teenager (sorry about the stereotype) sitting in the back of the car, hacking their rivals' systems - they would know exactly when to put the boot in.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Indeed. Note - when Wiggins crosses the line in the final TT, he presses 'stop' on his SRM before he punches the air...

Do you think? He seemed to forget at the Besancon TT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVA4a3n0FSo#t=135
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Anyone know about the security of the data transmission?
    I can't imagine these systems were initially developed with high level encryption. Look out for the nerdy teenager (sorry about the stereotype) sitting in the back of the car, hacking their rivals' systems - they would know exactly when to put the boot in.

Not really.

AIUI anyone within range with a compatible head unit can pair to a powermeter. Of course if there are several of them around then you need to know the ID of the one you want to pair with.

Also, they'd have to know exactly what that rider is capable of first and to have been within several metres of that rider for the whole race so they know what the rider has done already and so how fatigued they are.

I think some people misunderstand how powermeters are used by the Pros. On TTs and perhaps long mountain ascents they may be using the data for pacing, but as others have said, more likely just to affirm what they know based on PE.

The usefulness comes in post-race analysis and seeing what went wrong.
    More problems but still living....