iPhone 4 Bike mount recommendations

theblarney
theblarney Posts: 102
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I am looking for a bike mount for my iPhone 4 that will take the stresses and strains of MTB.

I have tried the Biologic Bike Mount but find the fact that the light sensor was covered up so it made the screen go so dark you could hardly see the screen and I have also tried to QuooQoon but found that the mount wasn't big enough to fit on my handlebars where I want it.

I just wondered if anyone has any real life recommendations on a good waterproof case to use?

I have the Velotrac and that is good but sits further down out if sight.

I could just go and get a Garmin 800 and be done with it :shock:

Thanks

Gavin

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Much better idea.
  • adm1
    adm1 Posts: 180
    The Wahoo Fitness case is properly waterproof and very rugged. You can get a version with or without an ANT+ radio depending on your needs (the new generation of sensors use Bluetooth - so you might not need ANT+)
  • I have one of these, seems to be ok, rode in all weathers on and off road and no leaks. Sometimes need to prod the screen a couple of times to get it to react.

The supplied fixing kit will go on the stem or bars and it'll go portrait or landscape.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-iphone-drybag/
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    adm1 wrote:
    The Wahoo Fitness case is properly waterproof and very rugged. You can get a version with or without an ANT+ radio depending on your needs (the new generation of sensors use Bluetooth - so you might not need ANT+)

Except they fall off, after going through the hassle of finding a well protected I phone because the case came off the mount I opted for an overboard dry bag and just put it in a pocket or back pack.
  • http://www.ultimate-mobiles.co.uk/mobile-phones/apple/iphone-4s-accessories/bicycle-mounts.htm

Never tried any of these myself so i don't know if they are any good. Some of the mounts look secure and some of them don't.
  • KernowCB
    KernowCB Posts: 174
    I say save the iPhone and go for the Garmin!
    Whyte 905
  • adm1
    Mojo_666 wrote:
    adm1 wrote:

Except they fall off, after going through the hassle of finding a well protected I phone because the case came off the mount I opted for an overboard dry bag and just put it in a pocket or back pack.

The early ones did - but the newer ones don't. I had one of the first ones and it DID fall off twice. Onto hard roads at high speed - and the phone survived without a scratch (which is how I know how rugged it is).

Wahoo slightly changed the mould for the mount and sent me a couple of new ones. Problem solved. They don't fall off any more.

(They can still rattle slightly though - but a couple of thicknesses of masking tape on the mount platform stops that problem)
  • theblarney
    adm1 wrote:
    Mojo_666 wrote:
    adm1 wrote:

The early ones did - but the newer ones don't. I had one of the first ones and it DID fall off twice. Onto hard roads at high speed - and the phone survived without a scratch (which is how I know how rugged it is).

Wahoo slightly changed the mould for the mount and sent me a couple of new ones. Problem solved. They don't fall off any more.

(They can still rattle slightly though - but a couple of thicknesses of masking tape on the mount platform stops that problem)
    With regard to the wahoo case, is it right that it's fixed to the handlebars using tie wraps?
  • adm1
    It's in two parts. The mount itself is fixed to the bars using tie wraps - so once it's on, it's not going anywhere. If you have multiple bikes, you can buy multiple mount parts. Wahoo send "regular" and "heavy duty" tie wraps with the mount. Not sure why really....

The case itself then slides into the mount and clicks into place. Takes all of one second to put it on or take it off.

The case opens into two pieces. There's a bottom piece with a custom rubber insert that the iPhone sits in, then the top piece with the screen window. This fits on top and six clips seal it down and make it waterproof.

It's rock solid.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I don't understand why people want to mount their phone on their bike. To me it just seems like a bad idea and pointless.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • adm1
    oodboo wrote:
    I don't understand why people want to mount their phone on their bike. To me it just seems like a bad idea and pointless.

Because they make bloody good cycling computers and GPS units without having to buy a dedicated Garmin one?
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I use my phone for that as well but I still don't see the point of mounting it on the bike.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    adm1 wrote:
    oodboo wrote:

Because they make bloody good cycling computers and GPS units without having to buy a dedicated Garmin one?

They dont make good GPS units. They are nowhere near as accurate as a proper GPS when your in the hills away from the 3g network, they dont have all the functionality of a GPS, the batteries last about 3 hours running all the GPS and mapping functions and you have to buy stupidly expensive mounts/cases for them because they are delicate little flowers.

If you dont mind Mountain Rescue finding your blue corpse at the bottom of a cliff use a phone if you want to get home off the hill in zero visibility use a proper GPS.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • adm1
    If I did a lot of biking miles and miles away from anywhere, then yes I would use a "proper" GPS. But for 99% of what I do (and I suspect what many people do), they are an excellent alternative to a dedicated unit - especially as most people already have a smartphone with this capability.

By the way - I'm not saying there's no place for a dedicated GPS unit either. I will almost certainly buy whatever the replacement for the Garmin 800 is when it comes out, but right now, I don't want to spend that money on a product that is getting pretty long in the tooth - especially when I have a phone that does all I need in a cycling computer & GPS - plus does loads of other stuff too.

I suspect many other people are in the same position.
  • theblarney
    adm1 wrote:
    If I did a lot of biking miles and miles away from anywhere, then yes I would use a "proper" GPS. But for 99% of what I do (and I suspect what many people do), they are an excellent alternative to a dedicated unit - especially as most people already have a smartphone with this capability.

By the way - I'm not saying there's no place for a dedicated GPS unit either. I will almost certainly buy whatever the replacement for the Garmin 800 is when it comes out, but right now, I don't want to spend that money on a product that is getting pretty long in the tooth - especially when I have a phone that does all I need in a cycling computer & GPS - plus does loads of other stuff too.

I suspect many other people are in the same position.
    That is a very good point, I have heard a few things that a new Garmin (900, 800s etc) is due some time this year which will hopefully mean that the 800's will drop in price and the 900 takes over or the 900 be slightly more expensive.

Is there any idea when the new one is due?
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    adm1 wrote:
    Mojo_666 wrote:
    adm1 wrote:

The sent me some new ones too which made selling the case on ebay easier. :lol:
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    stubs wrote:
    If you dont mind Mountain Rescue finding your blue corpse at the bottom of a cliff use a phone if you want to get home off the hill in zero visibility use a proper GPS.
    If it wasn't so sad, it would be quite funny how often Mountain Rescue guys moan about finding people lost, needing help, or worse, because they were using their iPhone for navigation.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    stubs wrote:
    If it wasn't so sad, it would be quite funny how often Mountain Rescue guys moan about finding people lost, needing help, or worse, because they were using their iPhone for navigation.

Was speaking to some of the Keswick Mountain Rescue guys in the pub a couple of months back and they had rescued some twit off Eel Crag trying to navigate using a smart phone and road mapping :roll:
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    stubs wrote:
    Was speaking to some of the Keswick Mountain Rescue guys in the pub a couple of months back and they had rescued some twit off Eel Crag trying to navigate using a smart phone and road mapping :roll:
    Thing is, I've used OpenMaps, and in some areas they are just as useless. No detail in the contour lines, missing streams and peaks, paths marked that aren't there, or obvious huge trails that aren't on the map, etc.
    You can still use them to navigate generally ok, but you still need common sense.
    Just downloading an app does not suddenly make you an outdoorsman.