Ouch!!!!

seanorawe
seanorawe Posts: 950
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
I have been riding a hybrid for over a year, and last week I got my first road bike.

My hybris has a D2 Memory Foam sassle on it and is really comfy. My Roadie has a BG Riva saddle and my god the change is hurting. Im playing about with different angles, and Im going to leave it ever so slightly tilted up. So I guess im asking, how long will it take my gooch (barse) soft bit between your ba**s and the @rse. To stop feeling like its being nipped?
Cube Attain SL Disc
Giant CRS 2.0

Comments

• It shouldn't ever hurt. Why not go to a decent shop and get your backside measured? It sounds to me like either the seat's the wrong size or the setup is wrong, or both.
  • IShaggy
    IShaggy Posts: 301
    A lot longer than it will take to swap the comfy saddle from the hybrid to the road bike.
  • Dan_Giant
    Dan_Giant Posts: 72
    Mine only took me a few rides, each being 10-15miles.

Don't even feel sore after 20miles now and find it really comfy.

Can't understand why people say change the seat straight away. If you're not used to the hard seats it will be a bit tender for a while.

It also takes a few rides to get the position right.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    seanorawe wrote:
    I have been riding a hybrid for over a year, and last week I got my first road bike.

My hybris has a D2 Memory Foam sassle on it and is really comfy. My Roadie has a BG Riva saddle and my god the change is hurting. Im playing about with different angles, and Im going to leave it ever so slightly tilted up. So I guess im asking, how long will it take my gooch (barse) soft bit between your ba**s and the @rse. To stop feeling like its being nipped?
    Memory foam? What, really? Good grief! I thought that stuff on bed mattresses was bad enough. Get yourself a decent saddle and go from there ... no wonder your perineum is feeling it, not surprised!
  • seanorawe
    giant man wrote:
    seanorawe wrote:

Memory foam? What, really? Good grief! I thought that stuff on bed mattresses was bad enough. Get yourself a decent saddle and go from there ... no wonder your perineum is feeling it, not surprised!

I was told the BG Riva was a good saddle. Im thinking maybe it was because my rear was being mollycoddled by the mem foam saddle. It wasnt like a mattress though, more of a softer saddle. Ill try to persevere. In fairness its more of a pinch in places rather than pain. To say it was sore was maybe a touch too far.
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    It needs to be said that 'One man's seat is another man's poison'... :o

I suggest you get a good, supportive seat. That could be what you have; see how you get on. I've done very well with the Charge Spoon. I bought it because it was not only cheap but the shape I thought I wanted (I was right :)), but it's been one of the best purchases I've yet made. Yet some people find them unusable. Everyone is a different shape...

I can't recommend you opt for any sort of cushioned leisure saddle, though. Those are not designed (I'm assuming) for high(er) intensity riding (rather pootling to the shops or around Rutland Water at a leisurely pace), and don't provide the support or shape (likely to get in the way) that you are likely to want for such riding. Certainly that was my experience, anyway. I'll leave the expert knowledge to those that have it, but my understanding is that it's no different to 'comfy armchair' vs 'supportive office chair'.

Also, I did a few days with my saddle tilted up (because I adjusted my two-bolt seatpost with one of those silly multi-spanners and couldn't get it tight enough), and all I can say is 'never again'. Your experience might be different to mine, but I couldn't retain a good seated position because I kept sliding backwards, and ended up going for an emergency detour to my LBS on the way home from work (I was doing 17 miles each way) because the horrible muscular pain in my leg was getting too much, along with the saddle sore from the extra pressure. TMI, sorry. :lol:

Also, get some good shorts with a proper pad in them.
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    [quote="seanorawe"]
    giant man wrote:
    seanorawe wrote:
    I was told the BG Riva was a good saddle. Im thinking maybe it was because my rear was being mollycoddled by the mem foam saddle. It wasnt like a mattress though, more of a softer saddle. Ill try to persevere. In fairness its more of a pinch in places rather than pain. To say it was sore was maybe a touch too far.

Keep in mind that (so an educated guess says, anyway) cushy gel saddles were designed for use with ordinary clothes, whereas road cycling saddles (again, educated guess) were not. A stout, firm saddle is the better choice and will give you the support that you need, and if you're wearing a good anatomically shaped pad in your shorts (which will probably be better than any amount of gel in the saddle), you will be able to reap the benefits.
  • FunBus
    FunBus Posts: 394
    you should be tilting it forward rather than up if it's hurting your gooch!
  • seanorawe
    FunBus wrote:
    you should be tilting it forward rather than up if it's hurting your gooch!

Cheers

Everytime I read the word Gooch, I chuckle :lol:
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • MartinB2444
    MartinB2444 Posts: 266
    Recently used some fizik trial saddles - Arione, antares and aliante. They all felt horrible until I tweaked the position a little. Went for an Antares braided carbon which is seriously minimalist and much smaller than the trial saddle and again, the first time out it killed but with careful positioning it is now great.

With decent padding in your shorts and careful positioning you should get it more comfy but saddles are very personal things and worth trying a selection before buying