New rider bought wrong sized bike?

differentstrokes87
differentstrokes87 Posts: 140
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
Firstly, I'd like to say hello. Just signed up moments ago after various Google searches pointed me in the direrction of this Forum.

I commute and do the odd 25 mile or so on a weekend on a MTB but recently took the plunge and bought a road bike after wanting one for a while. The company I work for was running a Cycle2Work scheme so thought I'd take advantage of that and did.

I bought a Boardman Race from Halfords, I initially asked for a Small but went on the advice of the staff member and bought a Medium. I'm only 5'6" and after a few searches on the net I'm pretty sure it's the wrong size, that and one person advised me, if it feels wrong then it's wrong...

As a "newbie" I was wondering if anyone could offer some decent advice to getting a better fit/getting some use out of it. One lad has recommended buying a cheapish frame in my size and rebuilding the parts onto that.

Like I say, I'd appreciate any help.
Planet X XLS 2013
Planet X London Road 2015

Comments

• Mikelancs
    Mikelancs Posts: 99
    I'm 5ft 7 and was sized by an expert who took measurements and inside leg etc and said I should be on a small Scott or Medium Giant or a small Wilier.
    Now the point I'm trying to make is that all bikes are sized differently. It depends on the size of The medium as some are
    The equivalent to other brands smalls as in the case of the Giant which is actually a bit smaller than a Scott's small?
    Confused yet? Yes I know iam !
    2012 Giant TCR Composite 3
  • IShaggy
    IShaggy Posts: 301
    In what way does it feel wrong? To get a perfect fit you'd have to play around with seat height and fore/aft position, handlebar height, and possibly change the stem size as well.
  • Well, there's very little clearance between the top tube and my crotch and I do feel slightly over stretched to the handle bars.
    Planet X XLS 2013
  • Dan_Giant
    Dan_Giant Posts: 72
    I wouldn't be to concerned about top tube height as long as its not touching your crotch and you can touch the floor ok. I only have an inch clearance on mine. I'm 6'2 and ride a 58cm cannondale.

I read somewhere that you should have 3inch clearance but if I did that the bike would be way to small for me.

As for handlebars, move your seat forward and see if that helps.

Failing that and you still don't feel right try and take it back and tell them they advised you wrong.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Only 1 inch stand over clearance for me and I am 5'10" and ride a 54cm Cannondale.

The stretched out feeling - how experienced on race bikes are you? Could just be getting used to it as it is always going to feel different to a MTB. That in itself would not mean it is the wrong size.

Many variables but best to get a second opinion in the flesh with someone looking at you actually on the bike.

Does your LBS (Not halfords) do a bike fit service for example?
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    i have about 3 inch clearance of my bike and its the right fit, but I prefer a more compact ride.

But yeah, you can buy a shorter stem if you feel over stretched or move the saddle forward...basically you're arms should just be out of locked position when you're in the hoods.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I would say you've been sold the wrong size and would have gone for a small - I'm slightly shorter in stature and looked at Boardman bikes but dismissed them because of frame sizing. However, a compromise would be to fit an inline seatpost and a shorter stem and you should still be able to find a rideable position - in fact I'd go down to Halfords and suggest that they provide the parts as it was down to their poor advise in the first place?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Thanks for the quick response, it could be just me jumping the gun as im new to road bikes. I've just tried it with a 90mm stem rather than the standard 110mm it came with and it did feel a lot better.

As for my LBS offering a fitting service I'm not too sure. I have a week off work from Friday so I'll pop into town and get an opinion from them.
    Planet X XLS 2013
  • Mikelancs
    Mikelancs Posts: 99
    If your new to road and coming from mtb like me then roads so much diffrent what feels too big might be ok that's how it felt for me being on a medium Giant - although my lbs ad the fitter there states its def the right size so I'll go with the experts verdict - the other thing to do is play with the adjustment it can feel like a whole new bike moving the seat and changing the stem.

Good luck
    2012 Giant TCR Composite 3
  • IShaggy
    IShaggy Posts: 301
    One rule of thumb for bike fitting - when you're riding on the drops, look down, and the handlebars should be roughly in line of sight to the hub.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    I’m 5’ 7” with a 29” inside leg and ride ‘small’ frames from Wilier (approx 52cm top tube) with a 110mm stem and a 2.5cm set-back seatpost. These are set up post bike fit and are spot on (for me obviously). I’ve tried a few medium frames over the years and they just felt wrong.

Looking at the geometry of the Boardamn Race the medium looks way too big for me!

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/road/road_race.html
  • jezzpalmer
    jezzpalmer Posts: 389
    if the geometry is anything like the 2010 Boardman pro carbon (555 top tube) then it might be too big; I've a medium pro carbon and it's on the big side for me (5'7), I've fitted a 20mm shorter stem, it's ok but not ideal.
    Though due to neck surgery I'm not as flexible as I could be so the medium gives a more managable saddle to bar drop, so a small may be too small for me as the boardmans are quite aggressive.
  • Looks like I've made a bit of a mistake in buying the medium then.

Someone made a suggestion that I could buy a cheap frame in the correct size would anyone say that's reasonable?
    Planet X XLS 2013
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Firstly, I'd like to say hello. Just signed up moments ago after various Google searches pointed me in the direrction of this Forum.

I commute and do the odd 25 mile or so on a weekend on a MTB but recently took the plunge and bought a road bike after wanting one for a while. The company I work for was running a Cycle2Work scheme so thought I'd take advantage of that and did.

I bought a Boardman Race from Halfords, I initially asked for a Small but went on the advice of the staff member and bought a Medium. I'm only 5'6" and after a few searches on the net I'm pretty sure it's the wrong size, that and one person advised me, if it feels wrong then it's wrong...

As a "newbie" I was wondering if anyone could offer some decent advice to getting a better fit/getting some use out of it. One lad has recommended buying a cheapish frame in my size and rebuilding the parts onto that.

That's your problem right there, it's bloody Halfords and they should know better than that, but I'm sure you know that by now, good luck with it ..
  • giant man wrote:

That's your problem right there, it's bloody Halfords and they should know better than that, but I'm sure you know that by now, good luck with it ..

Yeah, I've since heard various Halfrauds comments etc...
    Planet X XLS 2013
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I'd be inclined to go to somewhere that does professional fits and see if you can get them to write down their opinion of whether the bike was the right size. Halfords make a big deal in their adverts about how they provide a top quality service so selling you a bike that is the wrong size to me sounds like mis-selling. I'd expect them to replace the frame. You asked for advice and as professionals, they gave you the wrong advice. An oversized bike is not fit for the purpose you bought it.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • metronome
    metronome Posts: 670
    smidsy wrote:
    I am 5'10" and ride a 54cm Cannondale.
    Dan_Giant wrote:
    I'm 6'2 and ride a 58cm cannondale.

I've been wondering what size Cannondales others opt for... Because I quite like a smaller size...

I'm just shy of 6'1" and ride a 56cm. Maybe not so small...
    tick - tick - tick
  • metronome wrote:
    smidsy wrote:
    I am 5'10" and ride a 54cm Cannondale.
    Dan_Giant wrote:
    I'm 6'2 and ride a 58cm cannondale.

I've been wondering what size Cannondales others opt for... Because I quite like a smaller size...

I'm just shy of 6'1" and ride a 56cm. Maybe not so small...

5'11 - ride a 56cm
  • Ring Halfords head office explain what happened and I bet you will get a small size that fits you.
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    I bought a Boardman Race from Halfords, I initially asked for a Small but went on the advice of the staff member and bought a Medium. I'm only 5'6" ...
    I had the same quandary with my Boardman Road Team. I'm 5ft 7.5in and have an inside leg of 29". All the research I did on the web couldn't narrow it down to a small or a medium. No branches in my area had both sizes in stock. I ordered a small at one branch in Glasgow and a medium at the Paisley branch. I never got to try the medium. In the Braehead, Glasgow, shop I asked the staff to build the bike fully and fit pedals so that I could try it out. They said they didn't have pedals - but I forced their hand and they put on a pair of nylon cheapos. I climbed on to the bike and went over each component with the staff. They explained that I could lower and heighten the saddle, move it back or forward. The stem could also be reversed to bring it up and spacers could be taken out from below it. Taking all this into consideration and, more importantly, the feel of the bike while seated on it I went for small (51.5cm). I got it right. The bike fits perfectly. I was asked to complete a few forms and complete a survey. My recollection is that some of the small print more or less passed responsibility for choosing the bike from Halfords to me. So I'm sure they wouldn't replace the bike. The only option is to sell it (on this forum) and buy something else. Put the lesson down to experience.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Boardmans have a comparatively long top tube to seat tube ratio where TT is normally longer than ST. On my Bianchi for example, ST is longer that T., You therefore normally need at smaller size Boardman than with other bikes as you can raise saddle height, but you can't shorten reach (well Ok you can change stem). Obviously length of back cf length of legs plays a part too.

My 57cm Bianchi has similar length TT to your medium Boardman (but longer ST), but I'm 5' 11" and 32" inside leg and I'd wager a fair bit longer back / reach than you, unless you are a long backed / long armed / short legged freak.

I think you should have been advised to get the Small frame. If halfords have any decency they should swap your bike or at least the frame and switch your component across.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • I'm going to be still paying for a bike I won't even own at this rate, dear me :oops: anyone want to buy it then?

Learned my lesson.
    Planet X XLS 2013
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Try talking to them first, get an opinion from a different employee....do a search for which Halfords has a clued up bike sales/ mechanic and go and get their opinion. If they will sort it for you then problem solved. If not, contact their head office and politely ask them to sort the problem, again if no joy put it in writing to the store and their head office stating what you think is wrong and what they need to do to sort the problem out. Include the fact that you went with the sales person's advice and quote their name if you have it. Explain that you will get a professional bike fit done (about £100) and if that opinion agrees with yours then you will insist on a frame swap and compensation (the cost of the bike fit) If you get a standard fob off letter back, go and get the fit done. If the fitter's opinion is that the frame is too big and you need the smaller frame then get back in contact with Halfords and explain as much. Again put it in writing. Give them something like a week to reply with their solution to the problem. If they still won't budge speak to Trading Standards who will advise you of what bits of legislation to quote (something like Sale of Goods act and Statutory Rights etc) and write back to Halfords with this. That should get them to comply, as if they don't you will get the Trading Standards guy to have a word, which should do the trick, or you threaten them with a small claim in the County Court. Job done.

It is all about being reasonable. If you are and they are not, you will win any claim.

PP
  • nbuuifx
    nbuuifx Posts: 302
    Part of your problem is that you can't really swap the frame or sell the bike as you don't own it. As you've got it on the Cycle2Work scheme your employer owns it and your are just renting it. You have the option to buy it for about 25% of it's original price after a year or hand it back to them. Also if you stopped working for them or if you were made redundant etc you would have to hand the bike back.

Personally I'd go with the advice above. Go to a proper bike shop and get it set up properly. It may well be perfect for you (all sounds good to me). If they then say it is too big then I'd try your luck putting a complaint into Halfords, from my limited experience they can be quite good with customer service and will probably just exchange the frame.
  • Thanks for all the replies.

I've emailed halfords asking what can be done, got a quick reply which I was surprised by. It said I can take it to any of their stores to get an opinion and go from there. I've got until the weekend before I'll have time to get there so up until then I'll be on my trusty MTB.
    Planet X XLS 2013
  • dugliss
    dugliss Posts: 235
    I`ve been looking at the Boardman Road Comp and I`ve tried in several different branches to get one in small but they are all trying to sell me the medium even though I`m 5`8" with a 28ish inside leg. I`ve insisted that it feels too big and stretched out so I`ve resisted getting it. It turns out that the small is unavailable now and discontinued so it seems that they`re just trying to sell the stock that they have. As others have said, I would complain to Halfords about the lack of service and see what they can do for you
  • Stick to your guns speak to manager explain service was unprofessional if no joy.Then ring head office Where you will get a result.Dont muck about with emails Phone head office trust me on this one.
  • logitech208
    logitech208 Posts: 167
    As much as I don't like Halfords, you have to accept some responsibility after all you were not forced to buy the bike, you must have seen the bike before you paid for it did you not sit on it first and have a good look over it, if the bike was purchased online then fair enough but if you collected it yourself I wouldn't exchange it for you.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    As much as I don't like Halfords, you have to accept some responsibility after all you were not forced to buy the bike, you must have seen the bike before you paid for it did you not sit on it first and have a good look over it, if the bike was purchased online then fair enough but if you collected it yourself I wouldn't exchange it for you.

Halfords own advertising proclaims themselves to be experts. It is reasonable on that basis that if someone comes in and says they want to buy a bike but that they are a novice in all things road bike, then the responsibility for getting the size right lies with Halfords. Look at it this way - if Halfords had said the OP should go for small but the OP had insisted on Large then clearly the OP will have taken on the responsibility for chosing the size. But in this case he asked for shop advice from a self proclaimed expert who appears to have given the wrong advice. Simply sitting on a bike in shop and thinking it feels good is not enough to know if a bike fits. Ultimately, only a long ride proves it which is why the shop staff really need to know their stuff (and why Halfords is crap because their staff aren't usually that good - but Halfords know this as well so they should be quick to resolve this sort of problem).

You can't run a business on the basis of 'we'll look after you' and then leave you high and dry if you make a mistake. But I don't think they will.

Still, Pilot Pete said it all. When push comes to shove an independant opinion is needed.
    Faster than a tent.......