signed up for the Ronde Picarde. ...

amsparkes
amsparkes Posts: 15
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
Very much a beginner, went and did 40 miles this weekend at a 17mph pace, so is there time to get ready for the 135KM I will need to do for this ride? I have a fairly heavy travel schedule and have to do most in the Gym. any tips on what I can do in those gym sessions other than peddling for hours with my mind turning to jelly!

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    If you can do a 40 mile solo ride at 17mph average you are
    a) Not a beginner
    b) Very unlikely to struggle with distance if you reduce your speed.

But I suspect you already knew that.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    sounds good - when is it and how much?
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • giropaul
    giropaul Posts: 414
    There are 3 distances, which one have you signed up for?

Especially with the middle and longer one the real speed is at the start (50km/hr at the front). The first 20km or so is fast, and elbow to elbow (very typical of this type of event). There are often a pro or two on the front driving it. It is part of a french series of events, and the front end is very competative. There are police outriders and loads of motorcycle marshalls and the first part is closed road, so it's safe.

On the first climb it sorts out a bit, and groups form. The only reason to go full gas at the start is to get into a group.

Having said that, if you are happy to be in a group with your mates (some French clubs ride together at a civilised pace throughout - with a lunch stop!), or on your own, you will get round in front of the broom wagon ok.

The short one goe off quickly, but settles down faster as it goes up a steady climb from the start.

NB make sure you have a British Cycling licence (NOT just membership) or a doctor's certificate. They are increasingly hot on this, as it is now French law. (the short event may not need one, but I wouldn't risk it myself).

If you let me know which distance you're signed up for I can tell you more about the parcourse/gears you might need etc.
  • amsparkes
    thanks, I've signed up for the 131km route. In previous years I've done a couple of half marathons but have never really gone beyond the 2hrs..... so its how to get the stamina up to the 5 odd hours that it mighth take me. i must admit that im slightly concerned about the elbow to elbow..... i might have some latent fitness but I'm rubbish on a bike!
  • giropaul
    Don't worry about the elbows, just drift out through the start and get on the back of a steadier group. You'll miss the fast moving echelons, but you certainly won't be at the back.

The parcourse does about 10km, then swings right down a lane. Watch this corner, it's narrow and slippery sometimes with cow s..t. You then go through the finish area, and into lanes. A long ish hill comes next, followed by rolling countryside, with some sharpish climbs. The wind can be a big feature in the middle part, echelons form at the front end, but further back it will be smaller groups. If you can get in with a French club group it's great, they are steady(ish) and ride well together. helps if your French is OK.

Very fast downhill through the town to the coast, then sharp right to avoid the Channel, and straight up a very steep ramp - change down before the turn or you will join the riders stalling at the bottom.

Windy leg along the coast - try to get in an echelon. It used to be through the dunes, but I think the sea has reclaimed them, so the road is better.

Swing inland at the feed, and then rolling back to the finish NB - take care at the "bifurcation" - I've known people follow a string on the long ride and end up riding a load more than they had planned for. It's on a roundabout outside St Valery sur Somme.

Watch out at the finish for fast groups coming from the long parcourse - they don't take prisoners as they wind it up for the finish (these are the guys who are in the frame for results).

I used a compact with a 13-26, but most people get round with 39/52 and 13-25. (you only need a small gear for 100 metres away from the coast really).
    It's a flinty area. There are always shedloads of p....tures, so take several spare tubes. If it's wet, the flints get in easier, so I used Conti 4 Season tyres - better a bit heavier tyre than 3 p...tures, but in the dry I've got round OK on Veloflexes.
    If it's wet, watch the descents early on - they can be slippery (and usually have the remnats of several "chutes" to avoid!)

It's a great event - enjoy!
  • amsparkes
    thanks so much for the info! really looking forward to it.
  • giropaul
    In terms of your original questions, in terms of training between then and now:

If you can, get out with a group as much as possible. A quickish group (even if you only do a few miles with them) will help you get the speed and confidence in being in a group.

If you're training solo try fast 1 hr rides, it will be the speed rather than the distance which is the greater challenge to you in my view. Some practice at fast descents will be useful. Sprinting down hill is a useful way to develop speed.

Try out everything that you're going to use; drinks, energy products etc. Never use anything for the first time on a ride like this.

Get to Abbeville at least a day before the event, and ride the first 20 km or so the day before at an easy pace, so it is familiar to you. Sign on the day before, it saves a load of hassle on the day.

It's cold, and often damp, at the early start time, so a light gillet and arm warmers that will fit into your pocket later are ideal.