How to avoid punctures ??

2»

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Looking what you're riding through makes the biggest difference.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Trying to add protection to the tyres makes them stiff, and you want plenty of give and flex in the tyre to work over roots, rocks, etc
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Most (decent) modern tyres are remarkably puncture resistant already.
  • fyldesmurf
    fyldesmurf Posts: 412
    In Estampida's defence this is Sam Hill's mechanic double tubing Sam's bike... http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/8458253/
  • YeehaaMcgee
    At a dh event...
  • fyldesmurf
    fyldesmurf Posts: 412
    A situation where you may get a larger than normal number of punctures, as the OP is experiencing
  • cooldad
    fyldesmurf wrote:
    A situation where you may get a larger than normal number of punctures, as the OP is experiencing
    But you have a whole lot of gravity helping you along, and no ups to ride.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Adn didn't estampida also suggest putting an entire tyre inside your actual tyre?
  • cooldad
    Now you're just trolling.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    I must be mistaking him for some other crazy person.
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    I took estampidas advice and have since been running 3 DH tubes inside a Gatorskin road tyre inside a City Jet inside a Minion. This is definitely the best set up, haven't had any punctures. I am thinking of wrapping the lot in gaffa tape just to be sure though.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Adn didn't estampida also suggest putting an entire tyre inside your actual tyre?

I think that was me taking the p155 out of estampida.

I saw that photo of Sam Hills mech doing the double bag technique which made me think of this thread but to be honest Val d'Isere DH course ridden by Sam Hill at speed vs Shropshires leafy lanes ridden by the average UK rider....not the same puncture risks.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Jody400
    Jody400 Posts: 15
    Thanks for all the replies

I've gone for the 2 tubes method, ie an old inner tube cut open so the new tube sits inside it, so far so good........
    until I got a puncture in the front lol
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    You are crazy.
  • cooldad
    You are crazy.
    But can they count to potato?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Jody400 wrote:
    I've gone for the 2 tubes method...

I got a puncture in the front lol
    :roll:
  • cooldad
    Jody400 wrote:
    I've gone for the 2 tubes method...

I got a puncture in the front lol
    :roll:
    Stop rolling your eyes. You are actually laughing like a madman. I know I am.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    I got soap in my eyes about an hour ago - I can't help it.
    Damn it stings.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Jody400 wrote:
    Thanks for all the replies

I've gone for the 2 tubes method, ie an old inner tube cut open so the new tube sits inside it, so far so good........
    until I got a puncture in the front lol

You are f***ing kidding me aren't you?

There is no way ON EARTH you need two inner tubes to protect from punctures unless you are doing something inherently wrong (such as riding on a bed of nails). That suggestion had the p*ss ripped out of it on so many occasions on this website including in this thread and still you took it as a sensible idea.

I absolutely despair, I really do.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Jody400
    Jody400 Posts: 15
    ^^^^^^

what a friendly useful twat you are !!

I come on here openly calling myself a newbie and you take the piss !!

You seriously expect me to do a search on answers received to see if people are trying to wind me up !!!

For your information the two tubes method has worked really well and anyone with an understanding of anything will see why.
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    unless you are doing something inherently wrong (such as riding on a bed of nails).

Problem is in the UK some places are worse than riding on a bed of nails. Flint shards , thorns and glass are common place in some areas.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Jody400 wrote:
    You seriously expect me to do a search on answers received to see if people are trying to wind me up !!!
    You seriously ran two innertubes? Seriously?
    You seriously expect us to believe that ........ (I'll let you finish this sentence for yourself)
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Try putting some tubeless sealant inside an inner tube. Either by removing the valve core and pouring it in, or by making a small cut in the tyre, pouring the sealant in and then patching the hole back up.

It works better than slime.

Alternatively try getting some better tyres, the stock tyres that came with my Boardman (Conti explorers) were pretty pathetic at keeping thorns and even little bits of bark out. I've since used Maxxis Advantages, Schwalbe Racing Ralphs, Nobby Nics and Hans Dampfs and haven't (touch wood) had a single thorn puncture since, despite riding in the same places.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Going tubless reduces puncture rates by orders of magnitude in my experience..
    I suffered significant numbers of punctures due to sharp rocky terrain all types of puncture including
    pinch flats. Virtually eliminated them overnight when i bought tubless wheels
    yeah its costly but there are cheaper methods yet worth every penny IMO.

I have had the odd puncture using tubeless and average about once every 1-2 years
    which was a vast improvement over every couple of weeks (only high rate due to the terrain).
    Every single puncture since has been a tyre shredder on sharp slate. Clearly you elimiate pinch flats
    and i've never had an intrusion puncture just gashes you can get your fingers in.

Ohh i did try slime tubes way back but they were useless and I killed both in a single ride
    got eaten alive by midges fixing them so got home and ordered tubless - ill never go back.
  • Jody400 wrote:
    2011 Carrera fury (not that I should imagine it makes much difference)

6 punctures in less than 6 weeks ! :o

Getting bored of them now, always caused by a thorn, always in the back tyre.
    I know it's where I ride that causes part of the problem (the Mrs insists there is more to it as it's only my back tyre that gets the punctures :roll: ). I am wondering if there is anything I can do to reduce the risk?

thicker tubes?
    different tyres? (rather not have to buy new tyres)
    Slime?

what do I need and which brand should I buy ?

Try swapping the tyres around, the back to the front and the front to the back, the back wear out far quicker than the front since that is were your weight sits and causes more friction with the path or road. If your back Tyre is looking bald (compare to the front) then just replace it with a new Tyre saves a lot of trouble in the end. Also don't go slime, when then go they go and can't really handle high pressure with out sliming the whole bike with green sh*t.

if you are still getting punctures then get some good anti puncture tyres (they do work) i run some specizlied captain elite armadillo on my bike and i use a path that as more broken glass than a glass factory on it. Not a puncture since i switched, used to get them every few weeks even with new tyres but not now, just be careful when going round corners fast, the side grip of the tyres is a bit rubbish and has a habit of letting go (learned it the hard way).
  • al2098
    al2098 Posts: 174
    Get some new heavier duty tyres.
    Up the pressure to avoid pinch flats.
    Use a heavier innertube.
    Only ride on odd days and avoid a full moon.
    Avoid slime, its a gimmick.
  • To be honest.. It's probably to do with where you actually ride... ( I live nxt to a canal which is unrideable for 3 months of the year due to thorns )

I bet you probably get them on a very certain part of your route you do.. try and find out where it is and just miss it out...
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838