ribble stealth - good first road bike / commuter / tt?

aeon
aeon Posts: 167
edited July 2012 in Commuting chat
hello!

i'm sure there's a buying advice forum which would be helpful, but i know you people better... :D

i started commuting at the beginning of the year on a specialized crosstrail hardtail. it's served me really well actually, and i'm definitely going to keep it for some towpath duties, but the long rides along the river i'd initially envisaged never really materialised. i do all of my 160 miles a week on roads now; i haven't used the front suspension for months, so it's just extra weight, and the aluminium frame and flatbars aren't particularly comfortable. in sum, i've got the archetypal C2W 'told you so' buyer's remorse: i wish i'd bought a roadbike.

this is compounded by the fact that i'm also getting interested in TTing. i'm not quick or anything, and i really don't fancy group racing with the possibility of crashy stuff, but i like the idea of testing myself and improving, and i don't mind a bit of sufferation.

so... September is n+1 time, and i think i want to get a Ribble Stealth. it doesn't seem possible to ride one anywhere, and i've yet to see one on the road to quiz its owner, so i thought i'd ask you lovely folk a few questions:

- would this kind of bike be suitable for daily commuting across London's delightful roads? is it too 'sporty' in geometry (which seems to mean encourages a lower and maybe less comfortable riding position?)
- would it be suitable for some mild club 10 style TTing?
- is there something else i should consider instead? e.g. something C2W compliant like a Ribble Sportive Bianco, a Cinelli Experience?
- finally, given the choice, would you spec one up with Campagnolo Veloce, 105, or SRAM Apex? i've got no experience of any road groupsets, so i'm really at a loss with this one. my heart says Campy ;)

any advice would be most gratefully received. as would any feedback from Stealth owners!

thanks heaps :)
FCN 10 - Crosstrail

Comments

• pete54
    pete54 Posts: 488
    Tricky one. IMHO a commuting bike needs to take proper mudguards, not crud road racers which (despite what people say) are pretty crap. But I don't suppose you would want to do a time trial with mudguards on.

I have a Condor Fratello which I use for commuting and touring. It would be plenty fast enough for Sportives with lighter wheels and without the mudguards / rack, not sure about TTs though. I also have a Ribble Sportive Bianco with SRAM Rival, but I wouldn't dream of commuting on it.

You need (at least) two bikes!

Oh, and SRAM all the way on groupsets!
  • Well done for admitting the first step. You *need* a road bike.

I hear good things about the Stealth, I'd certainly have one. Mudguards are for old men anyway.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    The Stealth looks "more expensive" than it is in the flesh - really nice looking frame. Gets good reviews, apparently the same geometry (although possibly not carbon lay up) as a far more expensive De Rosa. Would it be good for club 10's? I imagine so, being stiff and quite racy geometry. Main thing you need is a low front end so you can get down into a reasonably aero position, you can tweak the rest to mimic time trial bike if you want. Add a few spacers / flip the stem if you need something more upright for day to day, better than buying a sportive geometry frame if you want to race on it.

For me it might be a bit too good for the daily commute - I'd be worried about it getting nicked / damaged. Amazing how clumsy other cyclists can be dropping their bikes on to yours etc. I can live with a few scuffs on alloy, but a dint in a carbon frame would be bad news! Also I guess mud guards would be a nice option, not that I ever bother. Even this year I've probably only had to cycle home in wet gear maybe a dozen times.

Finally, for groupset I would try them out, even if it just involves sitting on a few bikes in a shop. I would go for Campag as that is what I'm used to, but really all three are mechanically very good and actually look pretty similar these days, so its really a question of which hoods and which shifting system you like the best.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    If you want a Ribble Stealth, then take a look at Canyon.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I had a Ribble Sportive Carbon as my first road bike/commuter and it was fine. Most of my ride was rural, but there was a fair bit of traffic at each end and there's no real reason why a nice road bike can't cope with it.

In the end though, I got rid of it because it just wasn't practical enough. Seeing as most of my riding was (fairly long distance) commuting rather than racing/club rides/TTs I wanted something quick but practical. Road racers worked fine, but it could only take narrow tyres. So was off the road during the frostier months when I had the option of the CX. Likewise if there was a chance of it raining, I'd rather have the CX because of the disc brakes.

None of that is the fault of the specific bike itself though, all road bikes of that type will have the same 'issues'. Ribble's service was fine, the bike was well put together and was very nice while I had it, but for commuting it might not be the best choice. Then again, for long road rides and beginners TTs it's probably a very good choice.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    I have the De Rosa R838 - same Geometry - I totally love it for my dry commutes. I do have another bike for wet days as it is just too good to mash it up with all the crud you get on a wet day.
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    I have the Sportive Bianco, and it is a good bike. The geometry probably isn't the best for TT'ing though, so I guess it depends on what is your main priority.

As others have said, I had no issues with Ribble (and mine was bought via C2W) waited about 5 weeks for it to be delivered. Mine too has Campag Veloce, which I prefer over the Ultegra I run on my Kona (although the Shimano is the old 6600), I much prefer the shape of the hoods, which fit my hands pefectly.

One thing to consider is that if you want to maintain the bike yourself Camapg can be a bit on the expensive side for buying the tools to remove the crank arms compared to say, Shimano.

Wonder if they'll offer it when Athena EPS when it is released!! ;)
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    FoldingJoe wrote:
    I have the Sportive Bianco, and it is a good bike. The geometry probably isn't the best for TT'ing though, so I guess it depends on what is your main priority.

As others have said, I had no issues with Ribble (and mine was bought via C2W) waited about 5 weeks for it to be delivered. Mine too has Campag Veloce, which I prefer over the Ultegra I run on my Kona (although the Shimano is the old 6600), I much prefer the shape of the hoods, which fit my hands pefectly.

One thing to consider is that if you want to maintain the bike yourself Camapg can be a bit on the expensive side for buying the tools to remove the crank arms compared to say, Shimano.

A big allen key?
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    BigMat wrote:
    FoldingJoe wrote:

A big allen key?
    +butler to wield it
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    pete54 wrote:

if you like noisy clunky american crap
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    BigMat wrote:
    FoldingJoe wrote:

How you getting the crankarm off, Matt?

Not saying it isn't possible with brute strength, but I had to give mine a few wallops with a rubber Mallet whilst tightening the crank puller to the max.

A big allen key?
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    It will be fine for London roads, and cruds work well - I use them on my commuter and they give probably 90% of the coverage of full guards. Make sure they fit though, and you will probably only be able to fit 23mm tyres at best.

Regarding groupset - this is only going to start a big argument with everyone listing their favourite giving meaningless reasons why - they are all fine and shift gear well. But if you get anything other than Campag you're nuts.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Campag - mainly because it looks the nuts.
  • CRAIGO5000
    CRAIGO5000 Posts: 697
    I did the same as you. I was an Evans C2W reject who invested in a Trek hybrid that lasted around 9 months before investing in an Allez. This is now my Winter hack with cruds that I actually commuted on as it was pisssing it down - AGAIN! :roll:

A few months back I got my Stealth and I faced the predicament of commuting on it and posted a thread about riding "your best bike" to work. In the end I surmised that I get so much enjoyment out of riding the Stealth to work that just using it for dry weekend training rides means I'd hardly be on it! Sod that - lifes for living and I just clean it more to keep it looking like my best bike. 8)

The Stealth is very stiff and a lot lighter than my alu Allez. It also soaks up the bumps and is far more nimble. I can throw it into corners and transition with ease. I thought my Allez was light until I bought the Stealth but I do have lighter wheels and the Force groupset on it too which is very light compared to same/higher level Shimano/Campag offerings for the money.

In terms of groupset choice, I'd try as many as you can. For me, I prefer the smaller and more ergo SRAM hoods compared to my Shimano Allez and I much prefer having a brake lever that's sole purpose is for braking and doesn't pivot when snatching at it. It makes braking feel more progressive but then the Force calipers are much better than the Tektro on the Winter hack. Check out the shifting too as double click isn't for everyone but I do prefer it.

In terms of ride comparison/geo, the Stealth frame is more compact and racey but so long as you're reasonably fit you shouldn't be put off by this.

The Stealth does get lots of attention from other riders and even random passers by who you wouldn't think would be bothered. I've never had this on my Allez. I've had two comments from girls at work about the Stealth! Both have said how serious it looks. If you've got a wife/girlfriend to worry about - it's a bit of a fanny magnet haha! Thieves aren't an issue for me as I leave my bike under my desk in my office. I wouldn't ride it in though if I had to lock it up outside of the building.

For bang for buck, it's great. I plan to race mine next season in local crits.
    Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
    2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3
  • CRAIGO5000
    CRAIGO5000 Posts: 697
    t4tomo wrote:
    pete54 wrote:

if you like noisy clunky american crap

It's a nice noise in my mind, like cocking a Winchester rifle. It has a purposeful and solid feel. My Shimano feels numb but then it is Sora/Tiagra. In fairness, I have read disappointing reviews of Ultegra and comparing that to Force isn't even up for serious discussion - perhaps Apex at a push. ;)

Horses for courses, but to the OP, make your own mind up. Don't base your opinion off those purists who tell you a brand/frame/groupset is better because it has heritage or who sneer as it's made in a cheapo foreign country *shock horror* Campag is made in Romania and people love Campag because it's pretty and Italian and has.... Romanian heritage? I'll never understand Campy owners. :lol:

Anyway, try them all and form your own opinions based on your trial not what I or anyone else on the tinter'klacker has said.

Haters always gonna hate.
    Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
    2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I can't recall ever seeing another bike as dark as the Stealth. It's cool and looks like something out of the Dark Knight trilogy (that's Batman).

I'd ride my best bike to work, however, where I'd have to store it while at work I'd worry. I wouldn't enjoy maintaining the cost of replacement parts on a more regular basis. Part of the reason I ride a cheaper bike is so it's cheapish to maintain and I get the benefits of upgrading without the law of diminishing returns hindering things.

Or so my logic goes.

Law of diminishing returns: Basically you get more benefit from upgrading from a alu seat post to a carbon one. Than going from one carbon seat post to another.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    pete54 wrote:
    Tricky one. IMHO a commuting bike needs to take proper mudguards, not crud road racers which (despite what people say) are pretty crap.

Despite what people say, Crud Road Racers are not crap. I've probably covered about 8000 miles with mine and they actually do a better job of keeping the bike clean than SKS Chromoplastics. They do need a tweak now and again but that depends a bit on clearances - mine are very tight.

OP - go with your heart. Everyone has Shimano. Shimano is like a Toyota Avensis. It works really well - it's a sensible choice. But it's dull as the dullest thing ever and it just looks terrible. No bike can look pretty with Shimano hoods. :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • aeon
    aeon Posts: 167
    thanks so much everyone for the detailed responses... they've been hugely helpful. although i think AA would classify this as 'enabling' behaviour, as i'm totally sold ;) i'm definitely going Stealthy in September, and it seems like i need to get my @rse down to various LBSs and try some different groupsets.

thanks again :)
    FCN 10 - Crosstrail
  • depending on your commute in miles, I think a 105 would probably be best, as the components might last a little longer, I thought about upgrading my groupset on my bike to ultegra or Dura ace, but it priced me out, I could buy a new bike for Dura ace kit!!. I to also ride my Sunday best everyday commuting now and have done for nearly a year, its a carbon and it hasn't melted in the rain/snow/sun!, as well as groupset's I would also look at getting decent tyres to last you a while at the same time.
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1