How many miles to get used to a saddle?

Ka12
Ka12 Posts: 216
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
I am thinking about changing my saddle, it is a Fizik Vitesse and came standard on Boardman Fi Carbon, I have done about 270 miles over 11 rides but it is not feeling any comfier. I have padded shorts already and even though it has made a small difference it is not great.

Should I give it some more time or should I just test out some different saddles? My lbs has testers of sella italia saddles in to test.

Comments

• BobScarle
    BobScarle Posts: 282
    Saddles are very difficult and can take a lot of time (not to mention money) to find the right one for you. IMO it is not so much miles as time on the saddle that counts. You do not say if this is your first road bike or not, as there is a bit of conditioning to do to your own rear end. If you get an opportunity to try other saddles then I suggest that you take it. You may find one that suits, you may not.

BTW. Price is no guarantee of comfort. My most comfortable saddle is a £22 Charge Spoon.
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    Its like the search for the holy grail-the comfy saddle.
    First check your saddle is level.Maybe try it a bit longer. One mans comfort is another mans sore ass.
    Time riding if you're new to the sport makes a big difference. a lot of us probably have a few saddles by the time we find that out.
    Try some chamois cream and persevere for a bit.
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • Blancmange
    Blancmange Posts: 103
    It took me about 1800 miles in the saddle before the pain started to ease off a bit. I've now done nearly
    7000 miles and I no longer get any pain.

I guess it is different for everyone, but I'd leave off going down the new saddle route until you've
    persevered for a few hundred more miles.
    - Slave to the cadence -
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    If it's not comfy when you first sit on it, keep looking.

Adjusting angle will make your saddle slightly more or less comfy but if it's not comfy flat it's not likely that 1-2 degrees of tilt will help.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    To harden up your backside from zero would take more than 270 miles

But it is possible that the saddle doesn't work for you either!

The problem with advising on saddles is that there isn't one that works for everyone

Also that's a female specific saddle. It's fairly wide (this is good) but it has no slot. Without going into the gorey details, I suggest you think about where you get discomfort. If it is at the front, then try a saddle with a slot. If it is is at the back, then a wider saddle might be worth a go
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    If it's not comfy when you first sit on it, keep looking.

Adjusting angle will make your saddle slightly more or less comfy but if it's not comfy flat it's not likely that 1-2 degrees of tilt will help.
    That's just silly talk ....
  • Ka12
    Ka12 Posts: 216
    Thanks for the replies, I have decided to borrow a test saddle from my lbs, I will try out a few over the next couple of weeks and then decide whether to replace mine or not.