Avid Elixir lever problem

Huck Finn
Huck Finn Posts: 157
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
My left lever on my Elixir CR SL brakes has a problem. When the lever is left not depressed, there is play in it. Where the lever should have resistance straight away, mine flops out to a further point where it stops. There is perhaps a distance of 10mm play before resistance is felt when you push the lever in. I'm thinking there might be some sort of spring broken within which is causing it to do this.
If anyone has any ideas before I have to open it up, I'd much appreciate to hear them. Cheers.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Sounds like it has poped out of the knuckle joint. Check it and press it back in.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Huck Finn
    Thanks for the swift reply. I've just looked and can't see what your referring to Do i need to take the lever assembly apart to see problem?
  • nicklouse
    Ok let's be sure what we are dealing with. What year? And on what bike.

But have a look at this http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/5WCqT ... _final.pdf

Page 13 and the third picture of number 7
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Huck Finn
    That certainly looks like it may be the problem. They're 2010 off a stumpy expert mate. I'll take them apart later this week and get back to you with findings. Thanks!
  • Huck Finn
    Nick

Thanks for previous help and you were right. Just took lever apart and it all came apart fine. When reassembling, the piston rod pushed into the bladder assembly with an audible click, but once i'd put everything back in, play still exists.

I now know this is the joint popping out. The joint itself looks fine so i'm guessing the bit it sits in must be worn. Will i have to replace the bladder assembly?
  • Huck Finn
    Cooldad. Do you have any ideas on my problem here?
  • nicklouse
    ok now time to use the lever reach adjuster and use it to take up the play.

by play you do mean free movement in the lever BEFORE the pistons start to move?
  • Huck Finn
    No Nick. Imagine the knuckle joint fully seated. If you pull the lever towards you, the pistons will move, but the play i have is in the opposite direction where you can push the lever outwards from the bars. I'm sure the joint is becoming unseated for whatever reason. Wear most likely.
  • camerauk
    camerauk Posts: 1,000
    Huck Finn wrote:
    No Nick. Imagine the knuckle joint fully seated. If you pull the lever towards you, the pistons will move, but the play i have is in the opposite direction where you can push the lever outwards from the bars. I'm sure the joint is becoming unseated for whatever reason. Wear most likely.
    This happens on my Elixir 5 brakes and has done from new, I think its suppose to be like that so that when you fit new pads you just push the lever outwards which takes the pressure off the piston But I could b wrong :oops:
    Specialized Camber Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • Huck Finn
    The other lever is fine which makes me think there's a problem mate. I owned a set of elixir 5's and they didn't have this issue either. The play does not affect the stroke of the lever, it's just a floppyness when the levers are at rest. The overall function of brake is fine but the looseness makes it a pain as they sit very far out from bars as a result.
  • camerauk
    Ah right mine sit fine with no play but you can push the lever forward with a click, but there is no play as such, its just as if you have moved the lever out of a joint
    you then pull the lever towards you and it clicks back in and stays there with no play
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • Huck Finn
    Yeah, this is how the right hand brake feels. You still have a fair bit of tension when you push the lever out though which is great. I suppose that bit of movement helps stop things breaking under sharp impact. Imagine that movement though but without any tension, thus flopping about infuriatingly. This is how the left hand lever is.
  • camerauk
    does seem strange have you taken it to a LBS or maybe talk to Avid if possible
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • Huck Finn
    I'm waiting on Nicklouse. He seems to know what's happening there.

I've taken it apart and i think the problem lies where the piston pushrod sits inside the bladder assembly. It's a round knuckle joint so i'm assuming that wear to either the pushrod itself or the bit it sits inside is causing it to to pop out under no pressure at all.

I've had a look on the Avid service parts catalogue and think a lever service kit may include both pushrod and bladder assembly, but want to make sure first.
  • nicklouse
    Tbh it sounds like one of those things that really needs some hand on to fix? It sounds like it is play in the socket. Not much to do there other than add grease or replace.
  • Huck Finn
    Ok, thanks Nick. I'll have another look and make a decision
  • nicklouse
    Also get a second opinion. We have looked and seen where the issue may be but the looking has been blind. If you know what I mean.
  • Huck Finn
    Yeah, I gotcha. Cheers again, your help always appreciated. When I do get some sort of resolution, I'll post here what it is.
  • Huck Finn
    Solved the issue Nick. The piston pushrod which attaches to the lever is a straight bar with rounded knuckles either end. The knuckle which pushed into the bladder assembly, on inspection was slightly smaller than the other end through obvious wear. I cleaned everything up and tried flipping the ends around as it didn't affect things at the lever. This seems to have solved the problem.