Forks and wheels - for Trance x4 - help with understanding

Rich_H
Rich_H Posts: 32
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi

Relatively new to MTB, borrowed a bike for a few rides, then bought a 2012 Giant Trance X4 earlier in the year. A few weeks back the fork locked, and the bikes been in the shop since waiting for Giant to authorise the repair/replacement. In the meantime I have been looking around at options and realise I don't know enough so would like some advice, if that's okay?

I've ridden a mates Whyte 19 steel with Reba fork and the front end on that feels really plush. I notice that 120mm RLT Reba's are available on Merlins site for £269, with 15mm 'axle'. So, does the 'axle' come with the fork? I ask because its not in the picture and not clear in the description.

As I understand it, the X4 comes with QR as standard (9mm?). So to fit the above fork I would also need a new wheel. I looked at the 'handbuilt' options on Merlin but can't understand the hub options. For example 'XT 6 bolt disc' and 'Front Hub XT Splined Disc 15mm'. So, would I need the latter (the 15mm) and if yes, would I then also need a new brake disc?

I looked at the spec of the standard Trance X0 to get a feel for what an upgrade might be and see that they have 'Deore XT M788' wheels, so that looks to me like a 'good' wheel for the Giant bike - right?

So, to summarise, if I was to upgrade to the 120mm Reba, what are all the extra bits I'd need ('axle/maxle', wheels/hubs, discs). And what rear axle is standard - 135mm QR?

I generally ride XC/AM, not downhill and weigh around 14stone kitted up, if that matters. Once I understand the terminology I will be better placed to actually consider options, but if anyone wants to recommend any then please feel free. The internet is awash with information, but I am feeling a little overwhelmed if I am honest.

Thanks,

Rich.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The Trance is a great bike, I wish I still had mine. The Reba would be a great fork for it. You can fit a 140mm fork though for XC riding I would stick with 120mm to keep weight down.
    Depending on budget I would go for either Stans Crest rims on Switch Evo Hubs from Superstar Components or Hope Hoops from Merlins.
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    15mm refers to the axle,which in this case srews through in place of a clonventional 9mm q/r.15mm axle will come with the forks.

6 bolt or splined refers to the method of fixing the brake disc.

Most bike have 6 bolt hubs,splined is unique to Shimano brakes,though Shimano do offer 6 bolt or splined options on their hubs and adaptors are available.

I would imagine you have 6 bolt so you can re-use your existing disc if you stick with a 6 bolt fixing.

The Superstar wheels,eg Crest or Flow rims on their own hubs are good vfm.Shimano XT 788 are good wheels but you will need new discs and Shimano spare spokes aren`t so easy to source.

Rebas are great forks and are the default choice!
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • Rich_H
    thanks both.

So the Reba forks sound good but not sure re the tapered headstock on the Giant - would they fit? Merlin says that they are "1 1/8", would I need an adaptor and if so which one and where from.

Re wheels, I've had a scout around, blimey its a minefield. Some say Flows @ £220 from SuperStar (Stans deal). Can also got 'Arch' from Superstars for £247.98, which some argue are a good middle ground between Crest and Flows.

By the way, my mates Whyte 19 steel has a 'clicking' rear hub - is that a Hope hub, and do the Superstar Switch Evo hubs 'click'? Can't say I liked the clicking......if I want to avoid it, what are my options?

Assume I can re-use my current discs with the Superstars?

Thanks again,

Rich
  • rockmonkeysc
    You can get a reducer headset to fit the 1 1/8" steerer in the tapered head tube.
    Stans Flows & Arch are too heavy duty for xc riding, Crest will be lighter and plenty strong enough.
    The Superstar hubs are quiet and take 6 bolt discs.
  • Rich_H
    Thanks, thats really helpful, looks like Superstars are about to gain another customer.

Before I bite the bullet though, I'm 14stone and not a very delicate rider, or rather, I am pretty clumsy, so was thinking of Arch as being a better bet for when I thud down off of 2 feet tall drop-offs. At what weight and clumsiness level would Crests strength be compromised? Just don't want to over-egg the lightness and then damage them because I ride like a gibbon.

Am going to start another thread re clicking hubs, because a lot of people seem to be asking about them on the web but there doesn't seem to be a list of clicky versus silent, or pros and cons (however subjective), which I would find useful.

Rich.
  • rockmonkeysc
    You would be surprised what XC wheels can take. I'm 16 stone & ride fairly hard (sometimes I forget I'm not on my DH bike) and my budget xc wheels are fine. Crests will be stronger than my wheels.
    The major differences with AM & DH rims compared to XC rims is that they are wider to take wider tyres & they are a little thicker to stop them denting too easily. Most of the strength is in the build and Superstars builds are pretty good.
  • Rich_H
    Found this:

http://www.notubes.com/ZTR-Rims-C18.aspx

Thats helped, I think I am going to go for ZTR Arch EX via Superstars, £243.99. PLus the 120mm Reba's from Merlins at £269.99, now just need to find the headset reducer for the forks.

I think :D
  • Rich_H
    Quick update.

Got my RS XC32 forks back after the warranty claim - the paperwork said that both the lowers and internals had been replaced (they locked out on a ride, and the lockout adjuster seemed to not be attached to anything). Went to Forest of Dean on a damp, not wet day and whilst the forks were fine, the bike was still sliding about all over the place. I've lost the front twice and crashed in damp conditions, but just assumed it was exuberance/inexperience on my part.

Both front and rear end were letting go, and I was struggling to keep up with my brother on his Anthem X3 and had no confidence at all. His bikes have Maxxis High-Roller tyres and when I have ridden them in really wet/muddy conditions they seemed good, but I'm a lazy bugger and want an 'all season' tyre so I don't have to change them. Anyway, but of asking around/looking on the web and I decided on Panaracer Fire XC Pros. I fitted these to my Arch Ex wheels (stainless spokes, Superstars switch evo hubs - stealth logo - love the look) and headed out to Ashton Court.

What a revelation! For the first time, my brother struggled to keep up with me on the 'down' bits (he still leaves me gasping like a sex-pest on the uphill stuff). Theres one bit where you go down a slope and do two jumps/drop-offs before a left hander. Previously I used to lock the rear wheel to make the corner and couldn't understand why he didn't, now I just braked a tad. Amazing difference. The front and rear tyres still slid a bit a few times, but never felt like they were going to let go. No idea if the OEM Nobby Nics I had fitted were just a duff pair, or just didn't suit me, but the new wheels and tyre combo have made a world of difference. Riding up-hill is easier too, as there is just more grip.

I also fitted a Gravity Dropper post. Its awesome, I can now get the seat totally down and out of the way when going downhill, so maybe that helped too. And the 'turbo' up bit isn't as scary as described, it comes up fine and at not a 'too worrying about my plums' pace. Fabulous piece of kit.

I dropped the bike and the Reba forks (and Cane Creek headset crwon race) into the bike shop for fitting this morning. Can't wait to get back out when its all sorted.

Lastly, the Switch Evo hubs from Superstars. The changeable adapters to fit different axles are brilliant and the rear hub is pretty quiet, which is exactly what I wanted.

All in, I am a happy camper.