Panniers

pcarbide
pcarbide Posts: 2
edited July 2012 in Commuting general
I have about a two mile commute to school, and learned very quickly that panniers were much better than riding with a backpack (at least for me-- less lower back pain, less sweat on arriving). I've been using my dad's pannier, but I want to get my own for the next school year.

I really want one that has some way to be carried on my shoulders, not just by the top handle. I'd prefer a backpack-esque one, but a messenger bag is good too. I've been looking into them, and the Arkel Bug and Timbuk2 Shift seem like the best-- has anyone used these, or know of better ones? Thanks! :)

Comments

• corshamjim
    corshamjim Posts: 234
    The Arkel Bug works very well. There are lots of pockets, pouches, zips, etc, so it can carry all sorts of stuff really easily, for example a bunch of flowers, a couple of plants in their pots, etc, etc,. I found some of the stitching on the mesh pockets came undone on mine, but I easily sewed that back up again. It is indeed really neat to be able to use it as a rucsack when out shopping etc,. The hook mechanism is a bit industrial but works fairly well, albeit the handle straps needs untwisting from the hook mechanisms from time to time - it's nothing like as well designed as the Rixen+Kaul pannier fixing system, but the bag itself is so great I can forgive it that fault. I think Arkel have redesigned the Bug since I got mine a couple of years ago; I don't know if they've also redesign the fixing method.

For smaller loads I use a Carradice Junior saddlebag with a simple shoulder strap. The advantage of a saddlebag of course is the weight is central on the bike.