first 100 mile sportive

sarm34
sarm34 Posts: 182
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
After 3 weeks of owning my first road bike i did my first 100mile sportive in the great notts bike ride.
legs knees shoulders arse ar killing me now but im chuffed to bits that i finished it.
I had many people pass me only to pass me time after time because they spend too long at the food stops, but i kept going after only spending 2-3 mins refueling at each of the stops. The pain in my knees was really bad about 54 miles in and dont get me started about the pain in my arms and shoulders, but the lungs were fine and i could have pushed harder if my knees werent hurting so much.
100 miles in 6h 45m nothing to cheer home about but, im pleased with it

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I did the 48 miler so well done on tackling the biggie.

The weather was great and the course (which shared half of yours) was nice and quiet and mostly flat so all in all a nice morning out.

If only the directions back to the car parks were as good as they were to get to the start I would not have done 55 miles :oops:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • sarm34
    sarm34 Posts: 182
    You think that was bad i was talking to one bloke before we started he said he hasnt got a car and rode from Derby to notts , he was doing the 100 mile as well and he had to ride back to derby after he had finished, 140 mile round trip, i had trouble finding the car park as well tbh.
  • nbuuifx
    nbuuifx Posts: 302
    I did my first 100 mile last year, the one thing that really ached was my neck.

Like you I don't like long breaks - a couple of minutes is plenty, if I stop for much longer I find it hard to set off again. On the Manchester 100 they had an enforced break half way which you were supposed to stop at for 20 mins (or half an hour can't quite remember) - The hardest miles were the 10 following that break.