Upgrade, rebuild or what?

Red.Devil.Ghost
Red.Devil.Ghost Posts: 185
edited July 2012 in MTB general
At the moment I have a perfectly good Ghost AMR 5900 and have no problems with it at all.

Sitting around, I also have a Shogun Curfew XC hardtail. The suspension is knackered, the brake cables are rusted/sticking, the chain keeps slipping and it's 10 years old. I want to strip everything off of it and rebuild it, but with new parts.

The Ghost has Shimano SLX brakes and shifters, but random XT bits such as hubs and rear mech. Am I better off upgrading these bits to the XT range and using the replaced bits on the Curfew or am I better off going for a cheap eBay rebuild and leave the Ghost alone? I'm fairly mechanically minded but have not stripped a bike fully before so the Curfew is a learning experience. I'm confident I can change some gears and brakes on the Ghost ok. Money is tight at the moment but will be fine in a couple of months or so.

Thanks.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    At the moment I have a perfectly good Ghost AMR 5900 and have no problems with it at all.

This says it all to me - leave it and enjoy ;-). SLX is very good kit, upgrading to XT is not worth the outlay. The Shogun frame, if it is what I think it is, will be a very heavy cheap budget bike.
  • Yeah it is a cheap budget bike originally. The frame is quite heavy, but I'm not too concerned by that. I'm thinking if I have a decent second bike it might get some of my mates out for a ride as well. To them, anything over 250 on a bike is a waste.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd just service it and see how you get on. Certainly wouldn't start buying new parts (for any bike) except that chain and cables.
  • In its current state I probably wouldn't bother using it tbh. I was thinking of rebuilding it for practice more than anything else.

If I rebuild it, I can see myself using it more for generally getting about instead of using the expensive bike for that and risk leaving it places. If I can get some fast tyres it could be quite useful with the potential to do some proper stuff as well.

So if the XT stuff isn't worth the upgrade, I'll look for eBay bargains.