BEARS?

dennisn
dennisn Posts: 10,601
edited July 2012 in Pro race
Can someone fill me in on what this "bear" problem is all about. Stateside you know!
Someone mentioned it as a conspiracy theory after the "tacks" incident.

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    There are a handful of wild bears in the Pyrenees. There are plans to boost their population. Some people disagree with this.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Lady Bears are annoyed by the fact that their hubbies take 15-20 minutes to do their doo-dahs in the woods. :wink:

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • dennisn
    RichN95 wrote:
    There are a handful of wild bears in the Pyrenees. There are plans to boost their population. Some people disagree with this.

Not to be a pest but what's the problem? Opps, I forgot, people are the problem not the bears? Sounds like a good thing to me but what do I know. Are the people who are against it afraid of the bears? :?
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    I think they've already introduced some from Slovenia...

I'm not sure what the problem is, there's an agreement that farmers get compensated if a bear kills their livestock (that resulted in a little cottage industry!)

I think there were a few incidents a couple of years ago where some bears died in unfortunate circumstances... one fell onto several bullets and died on a local mayors doorstep. Another got run over. Shortly after falling on several bullets
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Local shepherds are annoyed they will have to spend all their time guarding their flocks and would prefer the remaining 20 or so bears to be wiped out. They don't trust the government to stick to earlier promises to only introduce new bears to replace those known to have died.
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,171
    Yeah, best kill anything thats better for farmers dead, rather than alive in the short term.

:?
    Mañana
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    dennisn wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Not to be a pest but what's the problem? Opps, I forgot, people are the problem not the bears? Sounds like a good thing to me but what do I know. Are the people who are against it afraid of the bears? :?
    According to a documentary I once saw, despite repeated warnings from the park ranger, the bears have persisted in stealing picnic baskets.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • disgruntledgoat
    Local shepherds are annoyed they will have to spend all their time guarding their flocks and would prefer the remaining 20 or so bears to be wiped out. They don't trust the government to stick to earlier promises to only introduce new bears to replace those known to have died.

Isn't that what shepherds do, guarding flocks?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • dennisn
    RichN95 wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

According to a documentary I once saw, despite repeated warnings from the park ranger, the bears have persisted in stealing picnic baskets.
    :lol::lol:
  • CambsNewbie
    CambsNewbie Posts: 564
    How disappointing! I thought this was going to be a thread on hairy gay men! :D
  • dennisn

Nothing hairy here. We all shave our legs and possibly a bit more.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440

Ahh, gotcha, bloody immigrants comin here and eating our livestock and falling on our bullets
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    dennisn wrote:

PM'd you, Glory Boy :wink:

FTFY, Dennis.
  • dennisn
    RichN95 wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Didn't Yogi pronounce it pic-a-nic? Sorry, had to correct you. I'm was a huge fan you know?
  • Notice how the Hindus don't mind when they call a bear Yogi ...

Odd than nobody has owned up. And I hope it hasn't given the notoriously cycle-friendly residents of Surrey any ideas.

(Did you know that the enormous c0ck in metal on that roundabout in Dorking is a tribute to the drivers of Surrey?)
  • dennisn

I'm not sure what the problem is, there's an agreement that farmers get compensated if a bear kills their livestock (that resulted in a little cottage industry!)

I think there were a few incidents a couple of years ago where some bears died in unfortunate circumstances... one fell onto several bullets and died on a local mayors doorstep. Another got run over. Shortly after falling on several bullets

Sounds a bit like what happened in Vail, Colorado some years back. A group of people who were concerned about Lynx habitat near the ski area decided that the best way to help??? would be to burn down a resturant complex at the top of the mountain. Didn't help much as Vail simply rebuilt, a few people ended up in prison, and it's doubtful that there ever were any Lynx in the area. What a waste. :roll:
  • disgruntledgoat
    dennisn wrote:

Sounds a bit like what happened in Vail, Colorado some years back. A group of people who were concerned about Lynx habitat near the ski area decided that the best way to help??? would be to burn down a resturant complex at the top of the mountain. Didn't help much as Vail simply rebuilt, a few people ended up in prison, and it's doubtful that there ever were any Lynx in the area. What a waste. :roll:

The thing that puzzled me was that farmers were getting 350 Euros for every sheep that was killed by a bear. So, in reality, they were getting above market rate for every sheep killed by a fox or died of disease and got dismembered by carrion eaters, as the local government didn't want to alienate them over the importation of Bears.

Why would these guys want rid of a revenue stream like that?

@gietvangent
  • dennisn
    dennisn wrote:

The thing that puzzled me was that farmers were getting 350 Euros for every sheep that was killed by a bear. So, in reality, they were getting above market rate for every sheep killed by a fox or died of disease and got dismembered by carrion eaters, as the local government didn't want to alienate them over the importation of Bears.

Why would these guys want rid of a revenue stream like that?

I guess for the same reason people burned a resturant, claimed they did it for the Lynx, and went to prison. Only to find that there probably weren't any Lynx in the area. Has me baffled. Then again a lot of things baffle me. :? :?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,182

A lot of them do other things with flocks as well (so I've heard)! ;)
  • dennisn
    iPete wrote:

Even in what you might call "broken English" that was succinct, blunt, to the point,
    and well put. :o
  • alwaystoohot
    alwaystoohot Posts: 252
    Pross wrote:

A lot of them do other things with flocks as well (so I've heard)! ;)

Only in Wales.

How can they compalin about 20 bears over goodness knows how many thousands of square miles? If you started looking today swinging your picnic basket around your head you'd die of old age before you found one.
    'I started with nothing and still have most of it left.'
  • MrT
    MrT Posts: 260
    Actually there are, supposedly, more than 20. Where we are staying at the moment the locals "claim" they have wandered into the village in the winter looking for food. More annoyingly are all the bloody ours non or ours a Paris painted on the road. Last week when it was wet managed to wheel spin and nearly do myself serious injury when climbing the Mur in the rain. The clever amongst you will say keep off the paint.....when your weaving around just hauling arse it's easier said than done. I think it was the bears that spread the tacks....keep the bloody humans off our mountains.