Shimano Hone cranks, repair or replace?

boris113
boris113 Posts: 47
edited July 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys, not been on here for a while but wondered if anyone had any suggesstions as to my crank problem.

I dragged my Kona out of the shed a few weeks back to lend it to a mate and it has subsequently come back broken :( My mate reckons he was cycling along the road and the pedal fell out of the crank arm :o Most of the threads are in tact (albeit a bit mangled inside the crank) but it seems like something is missing between the two, you can pretty much push the pedal in and out of the hole? Should there be an insert in the end of the crank arm that the pedal then screws into?

If I'm not able to get an insert would it be safe to use helicoil inside the crank to give more thread for the pedal to bite to or does it need a new crank? I went to my local bike shop the other day and they said I needed a new crankset then offered me a set of Saints but they are a bit out of my budget considering I don't ride as often these days.

It's a shimano hone crank set, e13 single ring chain device and gusset slim jim pedals.

Thanks in advance, Harry

Comments