More indexing problems

Wheelspinner
Wheelspinner Posts: 6,663
edited July 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
9 sp drivetrain, with XT-M766 shifters, XTR M970 rear mech, near new PG991 SRAM cassette and brand new KMC X9SL chain.

Much twiddling. Downshift is smooth and accurate all the way through from the 11 to the 34. Upshift isn't. No matter how much I fine tune the cable tension, I cannot get the shifts from the top 3 cogs to go smooth - click the shifter and it *always* hangs in the 3rd cog, then when you click the shifter again it jumps the second cog to drop into the 11.

Worse if you forget and stand up to pedal, then the chain jumps and my eyes water.

Grrrr. :x

Cleaned all cables outers, and inners, lots of lube in them. Checked cable tension - half a dozen times. Read the instructions, pulled it all apart and did it again. Still skips.

Suggestions welcome! What else do I check? Mech alignment looks pretty damned perfect too.

I'm thinking it's either worn shifter internals, or mismatch with cassette spacing somehow? Thought SRAM and Shimano 9 speed were interchangeable?
Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it is cables.
    replace them.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,663
    nicklouse wrote:
    it is cables.
    replace them.

That was my first thought, but there's very little outer cable on this frame - just the shifter to top tube stop, a short loop under the BB for suspension movement and the rear mech loop. All flushed out and lubed again...

Oh well, will give it a go and see if I can make it work.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • FunBus
    FunBus Posts: 394
    not the outers. Replace the inner cables
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Replace both.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    a short loop under the BB for suspension movement and the rear mech loop.

that will be the issue.

put the bike in that gear with the wheels on the griund and lean on the saddle while watching the mech.

but also change the inners and outers.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown