an incident reported in cake stop

Yukirin
Yukirin Posts: 231
edited July 2012 in Commuting chat
whilst this may be trolling, I'm right in thinking nobody here would condone this behaviour, right?

www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php? ... t=12866250

Comments

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Accidents happen.

Assault is not an accident.

So, no i would never condone this behaviour
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    What an odd post. He saw an angry thug, that happened to be on a bicycle, assault someone and has somehow made the leap that everybody on the commuting forum is a dangerous lunatic with anger management issues.
    Doesn't he know it's just the Cervelo riders? ;-)
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    'I also thought maybe the commuter section should think more about their anger issues than shutting down cakeshop.'

WTF?!?!?

**Have to leave the thread as I am due at anger management classes in 5 mins......
  • bet car drivers got respect-for cyclist now !!!
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Just posted on it, my one and only post there since signing up, what a weapon!"
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,963
    It's fictional. Some peeved person from the road forum, picking up on the "should've D-locked the ***#" meme.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited July 2012
    Amazing that I am yet again referenced on that sub-forum! :D

Yes this one section is representative of all the commuters in London. Even those who post here and have made it clear that they do not live in London are representative of London commuters. Oh yes, and all who live in London, have lived in London and have commuted by bike, even the once, post on here.

/sarcasm'd
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Yes this one section is representative of all the commuters in London. Even those who post here and have made it clear that they do not live in London are representative of London commuters. Oh yes, and all who live in London, have lived in London and have commuted by bike, even the once post on here.

/sarcasm'd

It's fame. Thats what it is.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • veronese68
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    More than once today. There's a post asking why they can't swear in Bottom Bracket. I pointed out that question is what started the ball rolling on the whole saga.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Veronese68 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    More than once today. There's a post asking why they can't swear in Bottom Bracket. I pointed out that question is what started the ball rolling on the whole saga.
    HA! Brilliant! I love it!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    DonDaddyD wrote:

They are just trying to encourage you to MTFU and make a post over there :lol:

Seriously though - come on, is there anyone here who can honestly, hand on heart, say that they haven't d-locked a driver and smashed his car up because he made an unfortunate mistake and caused a no injury crash? This is political correctness gone mad......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rolf F wrote:
    Seriously though - come on, is there anyone here who can honestly, hand on heart, say that they haven't d-locked a driver and smashed his car up because he made an unfortunate mistake and caused a no injury crash? This is political correctness gone mad......

Well I certainly never have. I don't carry a D-Lock with me, they're far too heavy. I have to kill drivers who deviate in any way from the rules of the highway code with my bare-hands, like nature intended.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Tool up properly of course;

IMAG0020.jpg
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • rolf_f
    SimonAH wrote:

IMAG0020.jpg

Pfftl; call that 'properly'? Handle of harpoon gun should match the bar tape. Does nobody get it right these days?
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Rolf F wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:

IMAG0020.jpg

Pfftl; call that 'properly'? Handle of harpoon gun should match the bar tape. Does nobody get it right these days?

Front brake on LEFT hand . . . Holy Jaysus - french style
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Greg T wrote:
    Front brake on LEFT hand . . . Holy Jaysus - french style

Mais naturellement! Seriously, it's when indicating right that the manouvre you're about to pull is the one most likely to need a haul on the anchors..... I like to still have a hand near a brake personally. It always struck me as very strange that the convention is brake on the RHS?? Also you get a much neater cable run.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • I hate the cable routing of a front brake on the right, more specifically I hate the routing of a rear brake on the left. Makes me ill. My bikes are euro-stylee all the way.
  • rolf_f
    I hate the cable routing of a front brake on the right, more specifically I hate the routing of a rear brake on the left. Makes me ill. My bikes are euro-stylee all the way.

Same here. I went that way when I bought my Look. I thought it would get angry if I tried to have it built right front!
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Rolf F wrote:
    I hate the cable routing of a front brake on the right, more specifically I hate the routing of a rear brake on the left. Makes me ill. My bikes are euro-stylee all the way.

Same here. I went that way when I bought my Look. I thought it would get angry if I tried to have it built right front!

No. This is Wrong.

Front brake RHS. Always.

I hired a bike in Norway once that had them the wrong way round, so I fixed it before continuing the ride.

I understand that some brake mechanisms are set up incorrectly, so that cable routing is neater with the levers set up the Wrong Way. This is a design fault and they should be rejected in favour of better brakes.

Cheers,
    W.
    :-)
  • veronese68
    Rolf F wrote:

No. This is Wrong.

Front brake RHS. Always.

I hired a bike in Norway once that had them the wrong way round, so I fixed it before continuing the ride.

I understand that some brake mechanisms are set up incorrectly, so that cable routing is neater with the levers set up the Wrong Way. This is a design fault and they should be rejected in favour of better brakes.

Cheers,
    W.
    No, it's the norm on the continent, not sure about further afield. The next person to hire that bike may not have thanked you if they grabbed what they thought was the back brake a bit too hard.
  • iclestu
    iclestu Posts: 503
    I never ever knew this. everyday's a school day!

does that mean gear shifters are the other way round on the continent too?
    FCN 7: Dawes Galaxy Ultra 2012 - sofa-like comfort to eat up the miles

Reserve: 2010 Boardman CX Pro
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    iclestu wrote:

Yeah, also, the crankset, cassette and derailleurs are on the left side as well.
  • iclestu wrote:

No, because ... No.

There's an argument for having front brake on the left - makes it easier to brake and indicate right. There's also an argument that the front brake should be operated with your dominant hand. Then there's an argument that it doesn't matter and you should do whatever you feel comfortable with but people with the front brake on the left shouldn't be allowed to marry.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

No. This is Wrong.

Front brake RHS. Always.

Cheers,
    W.
    No, it's the norm on the continent, not sure about further afield. ...
    That's true, it is the norm there, and in the USA too, I believe... It's still Wrong, though.
    The next person to hire that bike may not have thanked you if they grabbed what they thought was the back brake a bit too hard.

Indeed not. Still, that's what happens when people adopt silly conventions and introduce confusion instead of following nature's way. It's a hard lesson, perhaps, but what can we do?

Cheers,
    W.
    :- ) (again)
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Truth

Buns knows everything.

This is a fact
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    How did this thread move onto cable routing? :shock:

I'm going Euro next time I need new cables. Makes much more sense to me to be able to brake and progressively shift down at the same time.
  • How did this thread move onto cable routing? :shock:

I'm going Euro next time I need new cables. Makes much more sense to me to be able to brake and progressively shift down at the same time.
    Are you going to go the whole hog and get a LHS crankset and mechs? NB: watch out if you have directional tyres/innertubes.

BTW: I have no problem braking and shifting on STI. I do have a problem on the TT bike.
  • Dan_Giant
    Dan_Giant Posts: 72
    Why would you need to indicate? Surely the car drivers should know what you plan to do and if they don't and knock you off, just get up and smash their cars with heavy locks!
  • Dan_Giant wrote:
    Why would you need to indicate? Surely the car drivers should know what you plan to do and if they don't and knock you off, just get up and smash their cars with heavy locks!
    Please try to stay on-topic.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588

BTW: I have no problem braking and shifting on STI. I do have a problem on the TT bike.

Neither do I particularly on Campag Ergos, but I did have a bike for a short period of time set up with a left hand front brake and it meant applying braking pressure to steadily slow while clicking through the gears was incredibly smooth.