Cervelo Man screaming at me!!! Have I done wrong?

twist83
twist83 Posts: 761
edited July 2012 in Commuting chat
So I was out this weekend on a ride on my own as the other half was ill. I was enjoying a decent pace (for me!). I am a newcomer to this road cycling lark.

I come off this descent and then onto a pretty much flat piece of road, few dips but nothing special. Up ahead I see a road bike. Scalp I think, so I carry on and keep reeling him in. I then make a pass with a big distance between myself and him. As I pass he shouts something I couldnt hear. I look back and he is mouthing something so I carry on.

About 1/2 mile later I hit a busy junction where I am waiting for a while. He appears and taps me on the shoulder and starts going off on one about wanting a tow and why didnt I slow down and assist him. Now he was cracking on a decent pace, didnt look knackered, injured or otherwise in need of assistance

I was a bit taken aback by this. I didnt know what to respond with and a gap appeared so on I went. Have I broken some unwritten rule or was he as I suspect just a douche bag? Bizarelly the next day I also encountered ANOTHER Cervelo man (NOT the same one) who again shouted something at me as I passed.

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,681
    If he can't hold your wheel he's a weak and weasly wimp and should be dropped like one! ;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    :lol:

Sure it wasn't in London and it wasn't angry Cervelo man?

Outstanding - have a go at you 'cos he can't hold you wheel.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,341
    Your latter assertion is correct: there is no 'right to draft'.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • twist83
    I thought as much but when someone else shouted when I past them the next day I thought hmmm have I done something wrong. Will just chalk it up to him being an idiot. No idea what the other bloke said as I went past and didnt see him again.

Perhaps angry Cervelo man was on holibobs down in ciderland....
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I'm really struggling not to correlate being an angry shouty man with Cervelo ownership :P

Pretty crazy to be berated for not slowing down to give a total stranger a draft. Wow...
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I don't like strangers drafting me, I would of said sorry no I don't like drafting people, no offence.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    ha that's brilliant, he was too slow/ knackered to get a tow off you then shouts because you didn't slow down

thats deffo a new one
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    notsoblue wrote:
    I'm really struggling not to correlate being an angry shouty man with Cervelo ownership :P
    Why I oughta. *shakes fist*

... oh. :oops:
    notsoblue wrote:
    Pretty crazy to be berated for not slowing down to give a total stranger a draft. Wow...
    Indeed. Very strange
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • BillyMansell
    BillyMansell Posts: 817
    Paul E wrote:
    I don't like strangers drafting me, I would have said sorry no I don't like drafting people, no offence.
    Sod being polite, just tell them to fark off.

I suspect with the success of the British at the Tour some new cyclists assume the tactics employed in racing should apply to all cycling.
  • twist83
    I am not fast at all. That particular 20 mile ride only yielded an average of nearly 17mph so not fast at all. I guess on that stretch though I would have been nearer 20mph and I passed him quickly so he must have been pottering, there wasnt much wind on that piece of road either.

Perhaps he just didnt like a slightly chunky lad on a dirty Trek 1.7 passing him :lol: Or saw me as Inferior therefore I should pull domestique duties.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Sounds like a nutcase.
    exercise.png
  • twist83
    Next time I will push him off into the hedge!

Like BMW & Audi drivers get a certificate in the post allowing them not to use indicators and obtain priority, perhaps Cervelo riders get a similar one allowing them to be angry and use any other person riding as a block from the wind ;) (Awaits Cervelo owners....)
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    JonGinge wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    Why I oughta. *shakes fist*

... oh. :oops:

Well I've never seen you on your Cervelo, but I have seen you on your other bike. So I reckon riding your Cervelo allows you to get it all out of your system so you're all tranquilo on the Planet X. Thats my theory.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    twist83 wrote:
    Perhaps he just didnt like a slightly chunky lad on a dirty Trek 1.7 passing him :lol: Or saw me as Inferior therefore I should pull domestique duties.
    ^^^^ This ^^^^
    Not only was he scalped, he was well and truly scalped by a "lower division". Didn't like it, did he?

Polite retort? Keep up at the back. :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,677
    Paging Greg66 to the thread...

Dropped again, were you? :P
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    twist83 wrote:
    [...] a slightly chunky lad on a dirty Trek 1.7 passing him ...

Chap; you're too hard on yourself.
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    Personally, If I was riding a Cervelo and got dropped by someone riding at moderate pace on a Trek 1.7 I'd be keeping mighty quiet and trying not to draw attention to myself!! Don't see how it saves face to have a go. What a fool.
  • DrLex wrote:
    twist83 wrote:

Chap; you're too hard on yourself - your Trek wasn't that dirty.

FTFY :wink:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • vitesse169
    vitesse169 Posts: 422
    twist83 wrote:

Like BMW & Audi drivers get a certificate in the post allowing them not to use indicators and obtain priority, perhaps Cervelo riders get a similar one allowing them to be angry and use any other person riding as a block from the wind ;) (Awaits Cervelo owners....)

Hang on a mo, I have previously owned 4 Audi's and currently own a BMW - I ALWAYS use indicators/give roadspace/drive properly,& always will (I am an advanced driver).
    Also on your orig post, Concur - there is no right to draft, if he can't hang on - tough TT's.....
  • aeon
    aeon Posts: 167
    you could have pointed out that he's entirely welcome to draft - all he has to do is cruise on up and hold your wheel.
    FCN 10 - Crosstrail
  • twist83
    DrLex wrote:
    twist83 wrote:

haha you cheeky swine! I thought it could be you however there were no White trousers being worn so I scratched that off the list.
  • twist83
    vitesse169 wrote:
    twist83 wrote:

Hang on a mo, I have previously owned 4 Audi's and currently own a BMW - I ALWAYS use indicators/give roadspace/drive properly,& always will (I am an advanced driver).
    Also on your orig post, Concur - there is no right to draft, if he can't hang on - tough TT's.....

Certificate must have got lost in the post I will get you the number from the back of mine from the Audi & BMW we own :lol:

Well I did the same route last night but no Cervelo man. I did however have a drafting fairy for most of the ride who didnt understand taking their turn at the front. The other half....... We have been watching the TDF and she explained to me she was the GC Yellow Jersey holder and I was her domestique!!! Cheeky cow.
  • DrLex
    twist83 wrote:
    DrLex wrote:
    twist83 wrote:

haha you cheeky swine! I thought it could be you however there were no White trousers being worn so I scratched that off the list.

:D
    If you're not b*ggering off to Acton (or nearby parts of West Londinium) & want to meet up for a ride, drop me a pm. Promise not to don the white strides...
  • twist83
    That sounds good but I am not very fast I must warn thee! I will not be dissapearing into the Big smoke for at least a few months.

Wear the white jeans I might be able to keep up. I will don the lycra, goose fat and TT helmet.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    notsoblue wrote:

If your bike broke all the time, you'd be pretty angry too...
  • DrLex
    notsoblue wrote:

If your bike broke all the time, you'd be pretty angry too...

Brokebike Mouthing?

IGMC