gear indexing

jeannot18
jeannot18 Posts: 720
edited July 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I have been looking online but I can't really find a solution to my problem. I had a new back derailleur fitted (x9) on my RR 8.1.It was working ok but now I am not able to select the last cog (not that I use it that much), I go to the last click on the gear shifter (so no more click left), but the chain stops just before the last cog (smallest one) and don't shift over. What do I need to adjust to fix that problem.Is it a cable tension problem? (I did turn the wheel at the lever, but that did not work),or shall I play with the screws on the derailleur? I hope that I made myself clear...

JC
Pédale ou crève
Specialized Elite Allez with 105
Rockrider 8.1 : )

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    read the setup info on park tools and download the info from srams webby.

yes you need to set the stop screws. and maybe adjust the tension.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • If you mean NEW new then it probably won't be this, but if you mean second hand new then it could be.

X9 rear mechs sometimes have the rivets which hold it together, too tight, meaning that the spring isn't strong enough to pull it to the highest gear.

I had the same problem, I doused all of the joints in 3in1 and then cycled up and down the gears with the shifter, with the chain off. It's better but not perfect.
    Delete my fucking account.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Or cruddy cables if it won't return to the smallest cog and was working fine before.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jeannot18
    Thanks for that, I can upload the parktool website for the moment (?).I have downloaded the SRAM pdf files, quite a lot of into there! The X9 is brand new. I may have a got with stop screws, and see if I can get it sorted.
    JC
    Pédale ou crève
  • jeannot18
    I had a go a it, it still won't change to the last cog, but if I pedal backward, the back derailleur moves back (not tension - hopes it makes sense) and when I change to forward pedalling the chain jumps to the last cog! I will take the bike back to the workshop, something is not right and it is beyond my mechanical bike skill :roll: .
    JC
    Pédale ou crève
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    jeannot18 wrote:
    I had a go a it, it still won't change to the last cog, but if I pedal backward, the back derailleur moves back (not tension - hopes it makes sense) and when I change to forward pedalling the chain jumps to the last cog! I will take the bike back to the workshop, something is not right and it is beyond my mechanical bike skill :roll: .
    JC
    so disconect the cables. set the low screw. attach cable add tension till it moves up smothly. set top stop screw. Use.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Read the instructions that came with the mech and follow them word for word.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • jeannot18
    nicklouse wrote:
    jeannot18 wrote:
    JC
    so disconect the cables. set the low screw. attach cable add tension till it moves up smothly. set top stop screw. Use.
    What chainring shall I use at the front? It's a triple.Thanks
    JC
    Pédale ou crève
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The middle one.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jeannot18
    cooldad wrote:
    The middle one.

Thanks!

I found this video, but he did not mention anything about the chainring (thus it looks like that the bike has only one)

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/tech-tuesd ... -2010.html

JC
    Pédale ou crève
  • jeannot18
    Think I have done it. I can switch to all the gears now. It may not be as smooth as I would like but it would do for now. Reattaching the cable is a bitch though!
    JC
    Pédale ou crève