TREK 6500 vs. Cube LTD Race

JHG
JHG Posts: 24
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
I could say I am new to mountain biking (even though I was brought up on gravel roads and urban paths). I have been using TREK 5200 road bike for some time (road biker converting to the dark side ;) ) and my only mountain bike is an old iron bike with 21 gears. But I have been using my old mountain bike a lot this summer and I now I want to get me a new and better one.

I have been looking at used (2007 and 2008) TREK 6500 but now I saw a CUBE LTD RACE on sale for little more than the price for a used TREK 6500. For a beginner the CUBE looks really good (dont know anything about what the specs are telling me). Are the Cube bikes decent bikes or should I stay with TREK?
Jon H. Gudjonsson
2012 Cube LTD Race
2006 Trek 5200

Comments

• grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    Cube are one of a number of German bike brands that seem to be able to offer great value for money in the kit that they equip their bikes with. There are plenty on here and other forums that have bought them. They are more of an XC bike than a trail bike but if that's your thing they are perfect.

I have a 2011 LTD Race and it's been a great buy - got it just before Xmas last year when they reduced them massively when the new year's model came in.
  • JHG
    JHG Posts: 24
    Thanks, I think XC bike will suite me fine :), want to be able to climb step hills and go fast on the trail. I know CUBE is a less exspensive brand than TREK but I hope the bikes are as good.
    Jon H. Gudjonsson
    2012 Cube LTD Race
    2006 Trek 5200
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Trek 2012 can be had for £850 - and in my opinion is the better bike. The drivetrains are very similar, but the Reba RL is lighter and more adjustable than the Fox on the Cube. That said, the Cube has a nice wheelset, but am pretty sure that overall the Trek is the lighter machine.
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    The 6000 series Treks have a simialr aggresive riding feel simialr to that of the higher 8000s.