The infinite bubble

bluechair84
bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
edited July 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I've just fitted new hoses to some Avid Ultimates and I'm having trouble getting the front bled. The rear has been completed without issue and I've bled them previously with no problems so my technqiue should be ok.
Firstly, there is a nipple type thing that goes into the end of the hose. No matter how much force I applied, I couldn't get the nipple fully in, but there is only a something like 1-1.5mm in its protrusion.
Secondly, when pulling from the caliper and the lever, I'm getting an infinite amount of bubbles suggesting there is a leak somewhere. When applying pressure on the syringe, I discovered a tiny tiny hole in the reservoir cap that I'd not noticed before which was bubbling. Both caps have the same hole but the rear didn't bubble when I swapped the hose out. It appears air is entering the system from this hole on the front. What is it for and is there a way to resolve it? I'm assuming that this is my problem but I don't know if there could be something else.

As I've written this, I've thought that I could block the hole and see if I can get the system filled. Then see if it holds. But any advice would be appreciated.

Comments