unsure which to choose

foo-fighter
foo-fighter Posts: 113
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
I have narrowed my choice of new bike down to a jamis ventura race, or, a cannondale synapse 5, both 2012 models and both are said to have a more upright riding position. I'm not really sure which to go for, but i have heard some dodgy things about the shimano rs10s, that are fitted to the cannondale, replacement spokes hard to find being the main one. Does anyone have any experience of either of these bikes? or maybe both?
Thanks.

Comments

• unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    RS10s are heavy. Any wheelset you get on a new bike will be heavy unless you luck out, that's where they normally skimp. Budget a few 100 down the road for some better wheels and sell the RS10s on ebay.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • foo-fighter
    foo-fighter Posts: 113
    thanks for that unixnerd, still unsure which bike to go for overall. they seem (to my novice eye) to be similar really.
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    Have you tried them out? That's probably the best way to decide.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Get into a bike shop and try some out? And preferably buy from that bike shop
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    Go for the Cannondale, much better build quality. Nothing wrong with RS10, its just they are the entry level of wheelsets that you can actually buy rather than the cheaper wheelsets put on other bikes. This is why they have bad reviews, is because they are compared to a lot better and expensive wheelset. Wheresa the cheaper ones dont even get reviews as you cannot buy them seperatly.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    My RS10's are coming up for 5 years old now. Never so much as taken a spoke key to them. I like the fact they have cup and cone bearings that I can adjust / strip and regrease.

However, those who have broken spokes do sometimes have difficulty in sourcing replacements, and being low spoke count wheels, a missing spoke can easily render them unrideable.