Dodgy or dull?

JBA
JBA Posts: 2,852
edited July 2012 in MTB general
Came across this ad on fleaBay this evening.

What do you reckon: dodgy or a stupid seller?
“Life has been unfaithful
And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009

Comments

• paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Difficult to tell - its a stumpy 29er not an Epic so he's not very clued up on his own bike - calls it a stuntjumper elsewhere in his ad so apparently cant read.

His youtube links go to one video about the Epic and one about the Stumpy so he's obviously confused about the line up. If I lived in the house he has I am not sure I'd have bought a 3 grand bike but then of course its not actually a 3 grand bike.

He also lives in Sunderland........

Dodgy.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • devbrix
    devbrix Posts: 127
    Looks like a 26er 2011 Stumpy FSR Comp. Misclassification can be used to stop the real owners tracking down their stolen goods on eBay. Maybe not so dull afterall but could be very dodgy. If its too good to be true it usually is, wouldn't touch it personally.
    All of these things....
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    I asked him a question:
    Hey, there seems to be some confusion about the make and spec of this bike.
    It's a stumpjumper comp. Not an epic, not a stuntjumper (there is no such thing), and it's a 2011, not a 2012 model.
    It's also not a 29er and has revelation forks not reba, so the spec you posted is for another bike entirely.
    Finally, it was never a £3k bike, it was £2k brand new.

That said, I'm still interested. Do you have all the manuals, receipts etc.

Let's see what he says.

It's entirely possible it's nicked, but equally possible it's just someone who dosent know anything about bikes and is a bit........ special. You know, the ones that can count to potato and don't like you touching their ears.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    response from seller:
    Hi okay I have been told this by a couple of people now. I've recently taken it in as a part exchange on my car and know nothing about bikes, the information I posted was the information I was given when I got it. I was given no original paperwork or receipts. Thanks.

She's now removed the response to a previous question where she stated it was a 29er epic stuntjumper or some such nonsense, but has made no efforts to rectify the ad.
    It's being listed as something it clearly isn't with the sellers full knowledge and for that reason..... not only am I out, but seller has been reported to the bay.
  • Jimx26
    Jimx26 Posts: 147
    response from seller:
    Hi okay I have been told this by a couple of people now. I've recently taken it in as a part exchange on my car and know nothing about bikes, the information I posted was the information I was given when I got it. I was given no original paperwork or receipts. Thanks.

She's now removed the response to a previous question where she stated it was a 29er epic stuntjumper or some such nonsense, but has made no efforts to rectify the ad.
    It's being listed as something it clearly isn't with the sellers full knowledge and for that reason..... not only am I out, but seller has been reported to the bay.

Very dodgy IMO

When they state the size in the listing they claim it is fine for them @ 5' 11 and 14 stone yet above they claim they took it as part exchange for a car.
  • Invalidusername
    Invalidusername Posts: 11
    edited July 2012
    My question to the seller cos I'm bored.

"Is this bike nicked, Seriously ? If it is I won't tell anyone, If not I would be quite interested but only if you have original receipts/proof that you legally own it etc.

Thanks"
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Even if there was a remote possibility the explanation was true why the hell would you take something in part exchange to your car when you have no idea what it is and what its worth.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    Hehehe, I see she's now updated it.

No change to the actual listing, but she's added in most of the info I gave on my message, apart from the bit where I point out it was £2k new, not £3k :lol:
  • devbrix
    She's obviously only got two brain cells and one of those is inhibitory....
    All of these things....
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Has anyone considered she might be selling the bike of someone who died?
    Don't jump to conclusions, people aren't always utter c*nts, just most of the time.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    Has anyone considered she might be selling the bike of someone who died?
    Don't jump to conclusions, people aren't always utter c*nts, just most of the time.

That's fine, but then she should say so, rather than saying she took it in PX for a car.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Ah, I missed that bit and jumped to conclusions :lol:
    Still though, maybe she doesn't want to say that it's a dead guy's bike.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    Ah, I missed that bit and jumped to conclusions :lol:
    Still though, maybe she doesn't want to say that it's a dead guy's bike.

You mean like, because she dosent want people asking too many questions in case they find the bodies? :lol:
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Ssssh.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Dammit, people always assume I must be a girl who mis-spelt her name, rather than thinking "Oh, Wales? Maybe it's a Welsh name".
    But I ain't giving you a fiver.
  • Got an answer to the question I sent

"Lol no its not i sold a audia3 and took it in part exchange thats all but i never got any paperwork off the man sorry"

Obviously I wasn't expecting them to admit to it if it was nicked, Was more just to see what kind of reaction I got.
  • devbrix
    This could be a whole new sport. 'Wind up a tea leaf'
    All of these things....
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    Jimx26 wrote:
    When they state the size in the listing they claim it is fine for them @ 5' 11 and 14 stone yet above they claim they took it as part exchange for a car.
    does that mean they are not allowed to sit on the bike? had a look at her ebay buying history, lots of girlie stuff, plus a few plus size fancy dress costumes, which would explain the 5'11 and 14 stone, sounds like a clueless lass who has done some half hearted research from what she was told and come up with the wrong bike, plus some one said they had reported it to ebay and its still showing, the last time some one on here reported a dodgy link to ebay it disappeared very quickly
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    I reported it to evilBay last night but nothing has happened.

Someone may get a bargain if the sale goes through.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    JBA wrote:
    I reported it to evilBay last night but nothing has happened.

Someone may get a bargain if the sale goes through.
    could it possibly be because its legit ? just a clueless badly informed seller, i'm sure she knows as much about bikes as you do about nail art and fancy dress costumes :lol:
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • YeehaaMcgee
    I'll nail your art in a minute.
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    You havn't got a good nailing in you.
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    A cheeky bid and cash on collection might have yielded someone a bargain,if its legit.

Just checked,sold for £831.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo