On one 456 Evo

ads1987
ads1987 Posts: 38
edited July 2012 in MTB general
Has anyone got a or ridden an on one 456 Evo frame?
If so what is it like? what kind of size have you got and what travel forks are you using?

I'm thinking of buying one to transfer all the components off another bike to, basically I want an all mountain hardtail, It's going to have Rockshox lyrik 160mm forks and saint groupset fitted. I'm about 5'10" so not sure whether to get a 16" or an 18" - Is it a nice frame to ride or would I better going for something like the Cotic Bfe instead?

Comments

• DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Not an evo but... I've had a std 456 and now have a C456, both in medium flavour (18") and i'm about 6' 1
    This size is perfect for using as a play bike, ie not serious XC stuff.
    Had 100mm forks on the steel and have 150's on the C.

I'd say how playfull, what size jumps etc are you going to be doing, this would probably influence your size choice most.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    As above, if you want a playful bike for jumps then you'd be better off with some shorter forks probably around the 120mm mark or less.

If you just want to hold on tight and straight line rock gardens with no care in the world then use the 160mm forks (or get a full susser)

The Cotic isnt great with 160mm forks, I'd imagine the new 456 evo works better with them.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    I've got a summer season with 160mm forks, it's good fun for hammering downhills but useless at climbing and not brilliant when it comes to tighter twistier stuff. It's a pointless and stupid bike but is a lot of fun to ride. I've tried taking it on longer rides in the peaks in the past and it's mostly killed me :lol:

Think the 456 evo isn't quite as slack, otherwise the same, they're listed as 150mm max though, although if that doesn't bother you then go 160mm.
  • ads1987
    Decided to go for the Cotic due to the more climbing friendly angles! Will post some pics, thanks for the help guys
  • styxd
    ads1987 wrote:
    Decided to go for the Cotic due to the more climbing friendly angles! Will post some pics, thanks for the help guys

The angles wont be climbing friendly once you've put 160mm forks on it. Infact they'll be shite.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    styxd wrote:
    ads1987 wrote:

The angles wont be climbing friendly once you've put 160mm forks on it. Infact they'll be shite.

This.
  • ads1987
    They'll be better than on the 456, they are u turn lyriks so will wind them down for long climbs
  • styxd
    ads1987 wrote:
    They'll be better than on the 456, they are u turn lyriks so will wind them down for long climbs

What are you basing that on?

If you look at some pictures, long forks actually look ok on the 456 evo.

On a Bfe they make it look odd - super slack seat angle and sky high bb.

Just run em wound down all the time.
  • ads1987
    Reviews and comparing angles against a genesis alpitude I own
  • styxd
    Oh well, I dont know which angles you've compared. All I know is the 456 is designed around a long fork and the bfe isnt. You'll be able ot run it with one, but it wont be much use for anything other than riding down a hill. They really are good with a short fork though!
  • ads1987
    Head and seats angle, top tube length etc, the cotic got a good review by bike radar with a 150mm fork and a lot of people seem to use cotics so will see how it goes. Can always keep the fork wound down a little