Budget used full susser

mitomaniac
mitomaniac Posts: 117
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
Well after a week off work and hitting some local trails and some routes I ride local to me I'm looking at stepping up to a full sus bike I had a play around on a couple from a group of people I met at whinlatter very nice guys especially to let me have a go on their bikes..

I dont want and will never need a downhill monster I have been looking about eBay and gum tree and quite fancy the older gt idrive 5 and the Marin wolf ridge. From what I have read about these bikes they both get fair reviews and feedback and looks like I can pick a good one up under the £600 mark.

Does anyone have any particular advice with what to look for or lookout for ? And am I overlooking other models which might prove better.

Like I said above I don't need and will never be able to ride to a stAndard where I will need a down hill monster but I'm looking to get my first full susser at most I might try a couple of the black sections at whinlatter bt that's a long way off before I try to wipe myself out.

Thanks in advanc for any advice or feedback

Dave

Comments

• tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    If you like the gt idrive s check out a 2nd hand gt sensor idrive on fleabay you ll get a half decent one for 400 to 500 depending on spec , great bikes not that im biased or anything..........
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    mitomaniac wrote:
    I dont want and will never need a downhill monster I have been looking about eBay and gum tree and quite fancy the older gt idrive 5 and the Marin wolf ridge. From what I have read about these bikes they both get fair reviews and feedback and looks like I can pick a good one up under the £600 mark.
    Wolf ridge :D
    I fu**ing love mine, works for everything from epic XC tours to mountaineering, to trail centres to DH.
    However, as versatile as it is, it's definitely a bit of a "bruiser", and may be overbuilt if you're never planning on finding the limits of your riding.
  • mitomaniac
    mitomaniac wrote:
    Wolf ridge :D
    I fu**ing love mine, works for everything from epic XC tours to mountaineering, to trail centres to DH.
    However, as versatile as it is, it's definitely a bit of a "bruiser", and may be overbuilt if you're never planning on finding the limits of your riding.

Just wondering what travel forks yours has fitted and rear shock as I have see. A few different setups with varying travel

Dave
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Mine originally came with 140mm front and rear, with a Rockshox Pike at the front.
    However, I bought the bike with the plan of changing the fork to a 160mm Marzocchi or Fox, so th ePike has been replaced with a Fox 36RC2, 160mm travel.
  • mitomaniac
    Looks like the one local to me is a no go as it has a pair of pace pro class 2's on the front and I'm pretty certain their only 100mm
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Ah, might be an older Wolf ridge then.
    For what it's worth, they've always been good bikes - I happen to have the first ever version of the Wolf ridge, and the last one ever, and they're both great, and still ride very well.