Commuting incident.

brianonyx
brianonyx Posts: 170
edited July 2012 in The cake stop
I couldn't bring myself to post this in commuting, where it should be. I tried but just couldn't bring myself to do it.

On Friday evening I was walking back from Chiswell street to Moorgate direction I walked past a boys in blue car that had pulled in someone and had the lights flashing.

Just up the road I heard a shout and saw a black Toyota Prius pulling across the path of a cyclist, riding a fixed, I think. The shout was the cyclist trying to warn the driver who clearly hadn't seen him. The inevitable happened and the cyclist hit the front of the turning Prius and at fairly slow speed rolled over the front of it and into the barriers at the side of the road.

Ah I thought, from 20ish metres away, maybe I should offer myself as a witness for this fellow cyclist!

Then the cyclist got up, clearly not too badly hurt and started shouting invective towards the stopped Prius driver. Along the lines of "you fffing **** you nearly killed me". Understandable and strengthened my resolve to offer condolences to the poor cyclist.

Then however the adrenaline didn't seem to wear off and the cyclist started to go a bit physcho. First of all he seemed to grab something from near his bike, a D lock I thought, and start to attack the car with it. Tried to smash the side window and the main window, but the implement bounced off, and had a good shot at the bodywork.

By this time a fair crowd was watching from a cautious distance and my sympathies were starting to move towards the car driver who was looking shocked and had clearly picked the wrong cyclist to accidentally hit.

Then the cyclist really let the adrenaline flow, pulled the door of the car open and whacked the driver in the mouth. It sounded horrible.

The car driver shouted something like " i'm really sorry to have hit you but you have just punched me in the face ", which I thought was a fairly accurate summary of events.

The cyclist then turned tail got on his bike and cycled off into the direction of the flashing lights. The Prius driver recovered his composure realised the police were there and ran after the cyclist waving at the police who promptly stopped the cyclist. The prius driver came back to get his car to return to the police who were 'talking' to the cyclist. He had blood pooring from his mouth.

Does make you think. At first I felt sorry for the cyclist then the driver and then over the weekend the cyclist who will most likely get an assault conviction, possibly lose their job.

I also thought maybe the commuter section should think more about their anger issues than shutting down cakeshop.

Comments

• Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    Serves the stupid tosser (the cyclist) right if he gets a conviction.
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    The cyclist's reaction was stupid, you can't get away with assault. Far better to play dead, that'll really shake the car driver up and remove any possible rage that the car driver might have. ;)

Psychological warfare > a punch in the mouth
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    brianonyx wrote:
    I couldn't bring myself to post this in commuting, where it should be. I tried but just couldn't bring myself to do it.

On Friday evening I was walking back from Chiswell street to Moorgate direction I walked past a boys in blue car that had pulled in someone and had the lights flashing.

Just up the road I heard a shout and saw a black Toyota Prius pulling across the path of a cyclist, riding a fixed, I think. The shout was the cyclist trying to warn the driver who clearly hadn't seen him. The inevitable happened and the cyclist hit the front of the turning Prius and at fairly slow speed rolled over the front of it and into the barriers at the side of the road.

Ah I thought, from 20ish metres away, maybe I should offer myself as a witness for this fellow cyclist!

Then the cyclist got up, clearly not too badly hurt and started shouting invective towards the stopped Prius driver. Along the lines of "you fffing **** you nearly killed me". Understandable and strengthened my resolve to offer condolences to the poor cyclist.

Then however the adrenaline didn't seem to wear off and the cyclist started to go a bit physcho. First of all he seemed to grab something from near his bike, a D lock I thought, and start to attack the car with it. Tried to smash the side window and the main window, but the implement bounced off, and had a good shot at the bodywork.

By this time a fair crowd was watching from a cautious distance and my sympathies were starting to move towards the car driver who was looking shocked and had clearly picked the wrong cyclist to accidentally hit.

Then the cyclist really let the adrenaline flow, pulled the door of the car open and whacked the driver in the mouth. It sounded horrible.

The car driver shouted something like " i'm really sorry to have hit you but you have just punched me in the face ", which I thought was a fairly accurate summary of events.

The cyclist then turned tail got on his bike and cycled off into the direction of the flashing lights. The Prius driver recovered his composure realised the police were there and ran after the cyclist waving at the police who promptly stopped the cyclist. The prius driver came back to get his car to return to the police who were 'talking' to the cyclist. He had blood pooring from his mouth.

Does make you think. At first I felt sorry for the cyclist then the driver and then over the weekend the cyclist who will most likely get an assault conviction, possibly lose their job.

I also thought maybe the commuter section should think more about their anger issues than shutting down cakeshop.

I'm confused, Brian, I really am. Why couldn't you bring yourself to post in another sub-forum?! I'm not sure what "anger issues" you are referring to but I think perhaps the perceived dispute between "Commuting" and "Cake Stop" is more in your mind than in reality - a bit like the England / Scotland sporting rivalry perhaps?

Anyway, cyclist sounds like a tosser, adrenaline or not. We've all been there and most of us just brush ourselves down and thank the cycling gods if we are able to get up and cycle away...
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    brianonyx wrote:

With all due respect, Brian, you're an idiot!

Not only is this one psycho cyclist's reaction completely unrepresentative of how 99.9% of cycle commuters would react, but - and it has been said time and time before - users of Commuting Chat had no interest in shutting down Cake Stop. One contributor who likes the sound of his own voice a little too much, backed by another lady who clearly has no interest in this forum beyond moaning about how it is run, began an utterly ridiculous crusade that the mods were foolish enough to listen to. End of!

The generalising nature of your statement quoted above is laughable.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Tar and brush, yeah lets all get painting, fekking moron to make the assumption that all people in the commuting section would act like that muppet.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Thanks for bringing this to our attention Brian. Did you get his forum name? Then we over at Commuting Chat can d-lock the f*cker for bringing our sub-forum into disrepute!

:roll:
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    brianonyx wrote:

Not only is this one psycho cyclist's reaction completely unrepresentative of how 99.9% of cycle commuters would react, but - and it has been said time and time before - users of Commuting Chat had no interest in shutting down Cake Stop. One contributor who likes the sound of his own voice a little too much, backed by another lady who clearly has no interest in this forum beyond moaning about how it is run, began an utterly ridiculous crusade that the mods were foolish enough to listen to. End of!

Let me guess DonDaddyD and Lost_in_thought ... correct? :lol:
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,689
    gabriel959 wrote:
    Correct on the first, not the second. There was some woman that I'd never seen post before, or since. Velocerapture or some such, she got really very het up and wouldn't listen to reason.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    BigMat wrote:
    I'm not sure what "anger issues" you are referring to but I think perhaps the perceived dispute between "Commuting" and "Cake Stop" is more in your mind than in reality - a bit like the England / Scotland sporting rivalry perhaps?

Come on, admit it. Murray relinquished all rights to be termed British by losing. He's a Scot and we can proceed with plans to tow them out to the North Sea now.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    gabriel959 wrote:
    brianonyx wrote:

afaik it wasn't LiT but you're half right.

-e- note to self, read the entire thread before responding :wink:
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    brian wrote:

Drama queen.
    brian wrote:

This is moronic.
    JT wrote:
    users of Commuting Chat had no interest in shutting down Cake Stop. One contributor who likes the sound of his own voice a little too much

Yawn!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • brianonyx
    brianonyx Posts: 170
    gabriel959 wrote:
    brianonyx wrote:

No idea really, the bit about the commuter forum was meant to be a gentle wind up.

The actions of the guy on the bike were pretty shocking really. I think the moral to me is that after any form of transport altercation, let the red adrenaline mist clear before talking/engaging with the other party.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    brianonyx wrote:
    the cyclist who will most likely get an assault conviction, possibly lose their job.
    Not if my experience is anything to go by. Clipped by a driver who overtook me acorss a humpback bridge, then swerved in towards me when a car came the other way. He thought I'd hit his car so jumped out, knocked me to the ground and punched me in the face several times. All caught on my head cam.

The police asked him to write a letter in which he said he regretted "that we bumped into each other". :roll:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."