My first imperial 100

Gizmodo
Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
edited July 2012 in The bottom bracket
I'm knackered, I've just finished the Cannock Chase 100 sportive in 6 hours 49 minutes for 102 miles. Well chuffed. Did I mention that I'm knackered.

Comments

• Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Well done fella, you feel good when you crack the ton. :D
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Nice one! You deserve to be chuffed and knackered :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    Congrats! Hoping to do the same this year myself.
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    well played - I hope you got some KOMs on strava whilst doing it. :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    I got some PBs and had great fun getting on the wheel of a couple of guys on TT bikes on a fast stretch of the course.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Gizmodo wrote:
    I'm knackered, I've just finished the Cannock Chase 100 sportive in 6 hours 49 minutes for 102 miles. Well chuffed. Did I mention that I'm knackered.

bizarrely I did the exact same distance on the Notts Cycle Challenge yesterday for my 1st imperial century.

(cycle time was slightly quicker but overall time a bit slower - I don't know which you quoted)

Great fun, group riding is a skill you need to learn but makes the miles spin past when you get into a like-minded crowd.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • alanp23
    alanp23 Posts: 696
    Thats a decent average speed and you also seem to have put in a fair amount of miles this year. Good work!!
    Top Ten finisher - PTP Tour of Britain 2016
  • sarm34
    sarm34 Posts: 182
    I did the notts 100 on sunday first time ever 6h 45mins im knackered too, gratz on your 100
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Nice one Giz!

That hill at the 88-90 mile point must have been fun :D
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • DrKJM
    DrKJM Posts: 271
    Another one here for the Notts 100. I have to say the mental hurdle was bigger than the physical one. I'm not saying I found it easy, but I think I was expecting much worse. I won't be as hesitant about entering those distances in the future and would recommend it to anyone.
  • sarm34
    DrKJM wrote:
    Another one here for the Notts 100. I have to say the mental hurdle was bigger than the physical one. I'm not saying I found it easy, but I think I was expecting much worse. I won't be as hesitant about entering those distances in the future and would recommend it to anyone.
    The mental issue wasnt a problem for me i was always going to finish it, im a carpetfitter so my knees were giving me so much pain so i know that i will keep to 50 miles max from now on and try and get faster at shorter distances, my fitness was fine i was shattered by the end but that was through pain more than anything, it will be a few days before i get back on my bikes, i need my knees to recover.
  • Mike67
    Mike67 Posts: 585
    Gizmodo wrote:
    I got some PBs and had great fun getting on the wheel of a couple of guys on TT bikes on a fast stretch of the course.

Yes, well done...I rode it too :D
    Some guys on TT bikes passed me (though I think one or two of them suffered on those climbs towards the end as I caught them again.) ...we must have passed each other at some point.

Just wondering about my Garmin though as yours recorded over 1000 feet more climb than mine:
    http://app.strava.com/rides/13464932
    Can I nick your figures :wink:
    Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
    Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
    Lots of bits
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    sarm34 wrote:
    DrKJM wrote:
    The mental issue wasnt a problem for me i was always going to finish it, im a carpetfitter so my knees were giving me so much pain so i know that i will keep to 50 miles max from now on and try and get faster at shorter distances, my fitness was fine i was shattered by the end but that was through pain more than anything, it will be a few days before i get back on my bikes, i need my knees to recover.

it was the last long hill before we joined the 48 mile circuit that did for a few people - I was cramping by that stage (screwed up the eating again) but there was no way I was going to give up at that point. Seeing all the slower family and occasional cyclists had me determined to keep a reasonable speed as well

(annoyed about that bloody mud track bit with the pot-holes though.)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • sarm34
    sarm34 wrote:
    DrKJM wrote:

it was the last long hill before we joined the 48 mile circuit that did for a few people - I was cramping by that stage (screwed up the eating again) but there was no way I was going to give up at that point. Seeing all the slower family and occasional cyclists had me determined to keep a reasonable speed as well

(annoyed about that bloody mud track bit with the pot-holes though.)

Oh! that bit was a nitemare, what where they thinking? sending road bikes along a piece of road like that, tractors would have struggled with that bit, but i must say i popped to the shops today on my mtb after not riding it for a while and first time back in the saddle since the sportive (knees are better now) and WOW, how hard is it to get any kind of speed on them things after being so used to riding a carbon fiber racing bike the diffence is unreal