just sitting here wondering....

Headhuunter
Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
edited July 2012 in Commuting chat
...what happened to daddy long legs? you just don't see them anymore. When I was in primary school every autumn we'd be plagued with the things. The naughty kids used to catch them and pull their legs off. I was just thinking though,I haven't seen one in ages.... Please explain
Do not write below this line. Office use only.

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    They were hunted to extinction by naughty kids.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    We have a reduced but reasonable presence in the North Surrey area........
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    i saw one the other week.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Headhuunter
    Still see the odd one but not hundreds like when I was a kid... How sad...
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    All the better for it I say. There's nothing more terrifying in life than one of these flying straight at your face!
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    Do you have a young boy living in your house? If so they are probably in with your raisins having just had their legs pulled off.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Isn't there an urban myth that they are amazingly venomous, but their teenw weeny fangs can't penetrate human skin?
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • I caught a six foot daddy longlegs the other day.

I pulled one of its legs of and now it's only a five foot daddy longlegs.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    SimonAH wrote:
    Isn't there an urban myth that they are amazingly venomous, but their teenw weeny fangs can't penetrate human skin?
    Yes, but it is about a spider (possibly in the US) that is also known as a daddy long legs. And it's still cobblers.
  • Headhuunter
    SimonAH wrote:
    British daddy long legs don't have mouths so they can't bite or eat.... They literally hatch from maggots where they love most of their lives, love for a day or so as flies to mate and then die....
  • It might just be that the mummy long legs make them stay at home and look after the kids?

I know if my kid's mummy had long legs I'd stay at home a LOT more :wink:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Yukirin
    Yukirin Posts: 231
    I was attacked by one only last night, in a hurry to leave the hallway as I came in. But otherwise, I dont recall seeing many. I'm sure they're a dewy dawn/dusk creature though, and we've just had rain and more rain since Feb, probably not been an opportunity for them to fly about.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Its not Autumn yet, Just feels like it.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Veronese68 wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:
    Yes, but it is about a spider (possibly in the US) that is also known as a daddy long legs. And it's still cobblers.

that was on mythbusters wasnt it?
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Headhuunter
    Yes they're an autumn creature but I just don't recall seeing 1 for the past 10-15 years whereas there used to literally be hundreds of them all over the school playing fields and on the side of the school buildings when I was growing up... I think they've all been kidnapped by aliens or something
  • Headhuunter
    Yes they're an autumn creature but I just don't recall seeing 1 for the past 10-15 years whereas there used to literally be hundreds of them all over the school playing fields and on the side of the school buildings when I was growing up... I think they've all been kidnapped by aliens or something
  • rubertoe
    Double Post!

I actually saw one about two weeks ago, i do believe as is customary that it only had 4/6 legs
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• chilling
    chilling Posts: 267
    If it has wings it's a Crane Fly.
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    And what about May Bugs? Where have they gone? I have memories as a kid of swarms of them and my brother pinging them with a tennis racket - they made an amazing buzzing noise when he did.
  • chilling wrote:

My pictures of Crane flies...

BIGmumble%20penguin%20lbox.jpg

ostrichhead.jpg

Boeing+747+airplanes.gif

HD-HYJ_Three_Folding_Type_Double_Wings_Sanitary_Napkin_Machine.jpg
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Headhuunter
    Paulie W wrote:
    And what about May Bugs? Where have they gone? I have memories as a kid of swarms of them and my brother pinging them with a tennis racket - they made an amazing buzzing noise when he did.

And birds like the Thrush... I remember hearing them smashing snails on rocks when I was a kid, they used to grab the climy things in their beaks and smack them on the garden path or big stones in the garden til they broke open. You used to see the broken shells lying around. You never see them these days...
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    The most amazing change to the natural world that I have noticed is that when I was a kid watching nature documentaries, the lions always noshed on zebras. These days they apparently only eat wilderbeasties.

This leads one to only two possible conclusions; zebras have become much, much faster in the last thirty odd years and are now off the menu, or TV execs have decided that only ugly animals may be filmed whilst being scoffed.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    chilling wrote:
    Indeed. I would class a daddy longlegs as being wingless. The ones with wings are called either "flying daddy longlegs" or craneflies. And there are usually loads of flying daddy longlegs in my garden in autumn hiding in the grass.
  • Headhuunter
    merkin wrote:
    chilling wrote:
    Indeed. I would class a daddy longlegs as being wingless. The ones with wings are called either "flying daddy longlegs" or craneflies. And there are usually loads of flying daddy longlegs in my garden in autumn hiding in the grass.

Really? To me a daddy long legs has to have wings... I've never heard of a wingless daddy long legs unless some child has pulled the wings off...
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    When's "flying ant day" this year?
  • rubertoe
    phy2sll2 wrote:
    When's "flying ant day" this year?

Damn you; I was just about to suggest the same thing.

• Headhuunter
    Flying ant day is usually on a particularly hot, still day in August so it probably won't happen at all this year...
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    I bet all the daddy long legs will come crawling out of the ground once the weather warms up (if ever).

Last year there were plenty in my area - I figured not so this year due to all the rain.
  • chilling
    chilling Posts: 267
    Just to clear thing up

Crane Fly

crane_fly.jpg?w=310

Daddy Long Legs

Daddy+Long+Legs.jpg
  • Headhuunter
    chilling wrote:
    Just to clear thing up

Crane Fly

crane_fly.jpg?w=310

Daddy Long Legs

Daddy+Long+Legs.jpg

Nah, you see for me, the tope one is a Cranefly and daddy long legs, Cranefly is just the more formal name. The 2nd one is a Harvester Spider...