Giant Escape R2 alternative

Gnutty
Gnutty Posts: 2
edited July 2012 in Commuting general
Hi,

I had a Giant Escape R2 a couple of years ago which I used mainly for commuting. It handled like a dream, but I was skint and had to sell it.

I'm looking for another hybrid bike for the commuting 10-20k in hilly Sheffield. I've also got a bit of touring (500-1000k) in mind (which I did with the R2). I've been looking for about a month now but can't seem to find anything close to the Giant Escape R2 (why did they discontinue!).

I've got a budget of around 300-500 quid, and I'm keen to not pay the RRP as I'm a bit of a skank and like to know I'm not been ripped off. I'm also unsure whether to go down the used bike route. I've have a couple of bad experiences with nearly buying stolen bikes and bikes that don't meet their online description, but I'm still tempted by getting a better value bike.

I'm a complete novice when I comes to bikes and I don't know the difference in quality between one component and another, which is making it quite difficult to compare bikes.

I had a look at a Felt QX65 (http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/felt-qx6 ... 59629.html) today, and although it seemed like a decent enough bike I hesitated from buying it because I didn't feel as light or smooth as the R2 (I think it was around 10kg).

So what do think is comparable to the R2? Should I go used or new?

Sorry for giving you guys another bike advice question, I'd really appreciate an experts opinion!

Comments

• Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    I may be missing something, but it appears that the Giant Escape range hasn't gone away... http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Giant-Escape-2- ... _54940.htm

Taking that as an example there are lots of 'sports hybrid' and 'flat bar road' bikes around. There's usually a few Carrera Gryphons on Ebay, Cube and Boardman do them, etc. If you don't mind drops, the Triban 3 from Decathlon gets really good reviews (for the price - about £300), but the only real advice is to look around at lots of the bike shops - Rutland, JEJames, Tredz, Evans, Wiggle, Chain Reaction, Wheelies, etc etc etc and see who's got a deal on :)
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012