Strange one....Dog companion for Rides

2»

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    passout wrote:
    She has actually cornered a Roe deer twice now. The last time we were on a family walk, our lab shot off, and steered past a deer past us and into the corner of a field; the doe virtually collapsed from exhaustion
    Have you ever thought of putting her on a lead? :roll:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    bails87 wrote:
    passout wrote:
    She has actually cornered a Roe deer twice now. The last time we were on a family walk, our lab shot off, and steered past a deer past us and into the corner of a field; the doe virtually collapsed from exhaustion

This, or trained, or one day you may come home minus the dog.

Don't get me wrong, i'm a dog fan, have had them all my life, but you've got to respect farmers property etc. Chances are the deer will be someones and they won't take kindly to it being chased to exhaustion...

My friends parents had there springer shot by a farmer as it was chasing his sheep. Not nice.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    bails87 wrote:
    passout wrote:

I take my dog into the middle of the countryside well away from people, other dogs & farm animals (which she if fine with by the way) precisely so I can let her off the lead & run about in thickets. She is good most of the time in these cirumstances. Beacuse we see sheep & cows very often it's easy to train a dog that they are off limits; acheiving this where wild animals are concerned is more difficult - we are not talking Richmond Park here. Also it's not exactly easy to spot deer in many cases; often the first you see of the animal is when our dog is in pursuit. I don't want to give the impression that this happens all the time - fairly rare. She does chase rabbits most days but I see that as harmless fun.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • passout
    DodgeT wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    passout wrote:

Don't get me wrong, i'm a dog fan, have had them all my life, but you've got to respect farmers property etc. Chances are the deer will be someones and they won't take kindly to it being chased to exhaustion...

My friends parents had there springer shot by a farmer as it was chasing his sheep. Not nice.

I've just seen this. I do respect farmers property. And no - she doesn't chase livestock i.e. we have trained her not to chase sheep or cows. The deer was wild not a semi-tame (park) or farmed animal. FYI it was a Roe Doe - there are quite a few wild herds of them around in the NW of England & I guess other places too. I was brought up in the Lakes where you can see Red & Roe, but where I live now in Lancs it's just Roe as far as i've seen (in the wild I mean). I agree with the principle of what you saying, respecting property, but wild animals exist outside that in my view. Of course you could go into shooting rights but I think that's another issue; anyway it was farm land rather than a working estate with fieldsports.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • passout
    DodgeT wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    passout wrote:

I've just seen this. I do respect farmers property. And no - she doesn't chase livestock i.e. we have trained her not to chase sheep or cows. Plus when I see farm animals I just put her on the lead anyway; when she is running around through bushes etc you often can't predict/see when a deer might be there - not an excuse but true! The deer was wild not a semi-tame (park) or farmed animal. FYI it was a Roe Doe - there are quite a few wild herds of them around in the NW of England & I guess other places too. I was brought up in the Lakes where you can see Red & Roe, but where I live now in Lancs it's just Roe as far as i've seen (in the wild I mean). I agree with the principle of what you saying, respecting property, but wild animals exist outside that in my view. Of course you could go into shooting rights but I think that's another issue; anyway it was farm land rather than a working estate with fieldsports.
  • DodgeT
    Wasn't accusing you of anything, was more just a general note really as it's surprising that some people (not you) don't have too much respect for other animals and just let them run amok, without knowing the possible consequences.

Personally, always had springers which have always been fine with any animal. Now have a border terrier, she's great, but I wouldn't dare have her off anywhere near a sheep..
  • passout
    Fairs do's & I take your point generally speaking. I had Springers too - great dogs. A family member used to be into shooting & used to take my (trained) springer with him. He stopped taking him in the end because (although a great gun dog in many ways) he used catch at least one bird each week without the aid of a human or a shotgun. Quite embarassing when the dog bags more in a days shooting than you do! He was always great with farm animals though, thats true - always people focussed, and wanted to help out with what you were doing - digging up spuds, whatever....
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    I can only imagine the chaos our dog could cause at a trail centre.
  • adm1
    adm1 Posts: 180
    DodgeT wrote:

Aren't deer "wild" animals?

In which case they don't "belong" to anybody. The exceptions would be in deer parks or deer farms which would be pretty well marked, fenced and signed. Difficult to cycle in basically. With the main exception I can think of being Richmond Park - and if you are there, you know damn well not to let your dog chase them

Having said that, it's every dog owner's responsibility to train their animals not to give chase to anything unless they get the command to do so. Since we now have some pretty restrictive Hunting With Dogs laws, there's not many excuses anymore.

My hound has been genetically selected for hundreds of years to be good at chasing deer - but won't go after one unless she gets "the nod". Which she doesn't get. Rabbits and foxes are a different matter - although if you want to go down this route, always make sure you are on land that you actually have consent to hunt on. There's always some bleeding heart bunny lover wanting to make a fuss otherwise.

Anyway. There are no bad dogs, just bad owners......
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    Bit OT but still dog related... came across the local hunt guys this morning exercising the hounds, must have been 20 or 30 dogs and a couple of guys on bikes with them, they took up the whole width of the country lane I was riding, the car in front stopped & waited for them as did I.

Really nice to see one of our country traditions that's still managing to survive... just thought i'd share that dewey eyed moment with you..
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • DodgeT
    Max888 wrote:

Thats one cool dog 8)
    Wonder who trained her to clear table tops like that :lol: