Help - Advice on Pedals for new rider

oxfordshirerider
oxfordshirerider Posts: 9
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
Hello everyone,

I've just ordered my first road bike. Its a Giant Defy 2012 and the pedals are caged with clips. This might sounds stupid...but I don't really know what this means...I was hoping someone could explain what this type of pedal was.

Do I need specific cycling shoes for these pedals? I've been looking at various cycling sites and whenever I type in road cycling shoe they always seem to result in SPD-SL shoes...which I'm assuming only fit a specific type of pedal.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Flamez
    Flamez Posts: 105
    If you are going for clip ins, i would recomend keo easy. So simple aand easy in and out for beginners...
    Condor World Series 2012
    Boardman Team 2011
  • Many thanks - so these are the pedals themselves, but I'm not sure which type of shoes would go with these?

Cheers
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    I'm not sure I understand; do you mean old-style pedals with toe-clips, or something else? It could well be that you're using terminology that I'm unfamiliar with, in which case I shall gracefully defer to someone else's expertise!
  • Apologies - I'm not really sure myself. I really wanted to clarify what sort of pedals the Giant Defy 3 2012 came with as standard - looking at their site it says "Caged w/Clips". Is there a specific cycling shoe for this sort of pedal, or is this the standard old-style pedal? It was the part about with clips that confused me...

Sorry for the naivety of my questions....this is my first every road bike (well, not counting the one's I had as a teenager....twenty years ago).

Many thanks.
  • caged with clips will be the old style - normal pedal with a bit to put your foot in, and a strap to tighten it... will be able to use with any shoes (as long as they're not too chuny and won't fit in the cage)

the ones you're thinking of are confusingly called clipless pedals, which you clip in to. I use Look Keo pedals, the other option is the SPD-SL style - plenty of advice available on which is better and plenty of people who will prefer one over the other. The main difference I've noticed since getting the pedals is that the shoes, with their hard soles, are much more suited to the bike and feel much more comfortable, and you feel much more attached to the bike when wearing them... so definitely worth it if you have the money!
  • ducyam
    ducyam Posts: 4
    Hi, My friend has just bought one of these bikes (very nice). You will need to use normal trainers with these pedals as the cage wraps around your shoe to hold your foot in place. If you want to keep them, make sure that the cage fixing screws are tight ,as my friends fell apart on our first ride. If you want cycling specific shoes you will need to buy matching pedals and cleats.
  • Thanks for the replies. Perfect. Think I understand now.

Very much appreciated.
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    When clips and straps were the norm, cycling shoes optimised for them were common (I speak as if I was there; I wasn't!). Racers would have cleats that interfaced with rat trap pedals to increase linkage, and they would tighten the straps.

You can still probably buy the shoes, and you can get cleats that fit modern shoes. I can't recommend any of these practices however; if you tighten your straps you may simply not get your foot out in time (as you should manage to do with a clipless pedal) should you need to, and the cleats (presumably; I haven't tried them) make this even more dangerous.

I myself, though I am almost 23, still use clips and straps; I have no money and haven't made the upgrade yet. I can advise that you don't wear any shoes that you care about much; the clips are likely to eat the toes, unless they're plastic. My trainers were in reasonable condition when I started. :D
  • pedals with clips: Should be used with traditional cycling shoes with stiff soles and cleats. (trainers aren't stiff soled enough, and can cause foot problems)

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/images/produ ... G24122.jpg

SPD-SL clipless pedals: can only be used with road shoes

http://www.shimano.com.au/publish/conte ... 12.384.gif

MTB type SPD: can be used with road shoes or MTB / touring shoes with recessed cleats (to allow walking)

http://tenerife-training.net/Tenerife-N ... no-spd.jpg
  • Thanks for the advice guys. Spot on.

bottom_bracket - do you have any recommendations for traditional cycling shoes?

Cheers.
  • Sidi seem to be well loved? I got some DHB ones from wiggle and they're OK but not the best quality to be honest. If I were you I'd ditch the pedals and get some SPDs. Clipless are so good, you'll wonder how you managed without them. Depending on how much walking you do on a ride you may prefer road pedals or MTB. I use SPD-SL. You can get some Shimano SPD-SLs for not a lot of cash....
  • gjpollitt
    gjpollitt Posts: 42
    I use Shimano SPD pedals with Muddyfox MTB shoes.

Have been using them for four weeks with no problems, found them easy to use considering I have only just started road biking. I just need to remember to unclip left foot when dropping down the gears as I slow down.

Saturday just gone - one of my front lights that was attached to the right fork somehow got loose and hit the front spokes causing it to smash all over the road. Forgetting I was clipped to the pedals I stopped quickly realising, as I came to a standstill, that my feet were still clipped in. I was not quick enough in removing and I fell to the left scratching side of handlebars and cutting my knee.

On cycle back I approached a junction on quiet lane with a car behind me. As I slowed I unclipped left foot ready to stop. For some reason, as I looked to the right at the junction, I fell to the right with my foot still clipped in. On this occasion I hurt my right hand and smashed one of my rear lights, scraped right side of handlebars and torn small strips of handlebar tape. The driver of the car kindly slowed to check i was ok which i was though slightly embarassed!

Needless to say I am not impressed. Got both falls on my helmet cam as well which gave the wife a chuckle when we watched it.

Still using them though. Just takes a bit of concentration to remember that the feet are stuck to the pedals so need to unclip left foot and have foot ready to put down when stopped.

I shall not be falling off again!
    Graham

Cube lightening hpc race 2012 - red,white and blue
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    If you really are a total newbie beginner, you should ride with plain platform pedals, no toe clips or clipless systems at all. When have a bit of experience and bike handling skill, you can add some pedal attachment for extra efficiency.
    Toe clips are OK as long as you are not looking for the ultimate in efficiency. Use the straps loose, never cinch them tight. Pick shoes that have a reasonable level of grippiness but not too much, for a swift exit. Shimano leisure cycling shoes work OK and you can convert them to clipless later if you want. The main advantage of toe clips are convenience, you dont need special shoes.
    If you decide to go clipless, then double-sided MTB style is easier to use.
  • leshere
    leshere Posts: 38
    Hello everyone,

I've just ordered my first road bike. Its a Giant Defy 2012 and the pedals are caged with clips...

I found pedals very confusing to start with and I can see what you mean this is a cage with a strap (probably velcro). In the first instance you do not need to have any specific shoe for this pedal. Your trainer should just slip in (and out) if you do not strap too tightly. You may choose to change both pedal and shoes but can do so in the fullness of time having taken advice and gained experience.

I suspect that these pedals will not hold your foot firmly in place...advantage you can get them out in a hurry without thinking disadvantage it is not as efficient as a system where your foot is clamped firmly to bike via a rigid platform. Advantage you will have them anyway so no extra cost disadvantage they may not be very good quality your feet might hurt (or not).

Clipless means a hidden clip like a ski if that helps. SPD (clipless) and similar are efficient but people do fall over to start with: there are different sorts of systems (e.g. some leave you in shoes you can walk in like a normal person other leave you 'wobbly' since they protrude. The latter may be the most efficient for cycling but I find they slow my rush to the front of the queue for cake/coffee/toilet all of which form and important part on any ride for me.
  • Thanks to all who've replied. Really think I've got my head round the concept of pedals now. Much appreciated. I think I'll stick with the pedals which come as standard until I've gained more experience and can make a decision as to the best clipless system for me.

Cheers!