Tyres tyres tyres???

1980jj
1980jj Posts: 22
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
Afternoon all.
I'm sure people get sick of these tthreads so I'll crack on.
I have a cube ltd race running rapid robs. Needing tyres and wanting to run tubes as I'm a bit of a weekend warrior and a Bit of a fair weather rider but don't mind getting covered in crud that's already down. I generally ride around the south downs area and sometimes single track at bedgebury pinetum in Kent. Question is what tyre do I get. Was looking at spending about 35 ish a tyre. I don't want tubeless and my local bike shop I felt was not much help. I like the schwalbe stuff but hear it wears quickly. This is where I'm at.

Considered:
panaracer xc pro
Schwalbe nobby nic

Are the nobby nic tyres that bad on the sidewalks as I read about???

Also, There seems to be alot of tubeless ready tyres about, do I need a ust tyre as most are tubeless now a days?
Bit of a noob so go easy,
Cheers

Comments

• Tom Barton
    Tom Barton Posts: 516
    My understanding is tubeless ready have a nice tight bead to seat on the rim but will not be air tight and will need some gunk to help seal everything up (but a darn sight easier than trying to seal a regular tyre). A proper UST tyre on a proper ust rim should be fit/pump up and go without any other kit.

Lots to choose from, if the thread gets going expect more suggestions than you know what to do with!

I'd check out tyres such as the Maxxis Highroller or Crossmark lust/ust. Continental have a good range of UST tyres - MK2's may suit your ride well. Schwable have alot of tubeless ready tyres. I hear mjixed reviews on the NN's - some very complimentary/others less so - its usually durability thats the gripe rather than grip. Not sure how a tubeless ready squares up to a regular NN - generally tubeless ready/ust tyres are a bit beefier. I hear good things about the panaracers on the whole - not used either tyre myself though.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    THe OP says he doesn't want tubeless, so no idea why you are both going on about UST/LUST. LUST are heavier, just get normal tyres.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Your tyres will last longer than you think if you are not hammering them or running up big miles.

For the riding you mention many will advise a Ralph on the back and a Nobby on the front or Nics on front and back. You dont need Tubeless and TL is not necessary either. If you get the Schwalbe then make sure you get the Evo versions that fold. They will be lighter and have a better compound.

Otherwise you could go for the continental tyres like the Mountain Kings or the Race Kings. Get the Black chilli versions though which have better wear and grip. Personally id go for Race King Supersonics.

The German sites do good deals on the tyres!

If you ride a lot of roads then you could look at the Crossmarks or the Small block Eights. The small Blocks have a low hum and a fantastic roll and are really grippy. Terrible in mud though!
  • 1980jj
    Cheers guys, the only worry is wanting a "puncture protected" tyre and it looks like they only come as tubeless???? The nic is looking tasty, I have looked at Ralph's and conti. Are the German sites that good? I was gonna order off bike-discount.de seem to do great deals, just wondering if customs and excise will fist hump me for the tax
  • The German sites are great! I got tyres from The same place you are looking at. There is no duty to be paid. Conti do a more resiliant compound called Protection or a lighter one called RaceSport. Scwalbe do DD i and snakeskin (i think snakeskin is more sidewall protection though). Just remember the more resilient the heavier it will be.
  • 1980jj
    I can handle the weight issue, I'm not an all out junky looking to lose the next gram :-) a worry was buying tubeless tyres and they not be ready to receive a tube? Does that make sense. I'm happy to pay a bit more for snakeskin nextdaytires.com have them for £40 each. Just don't wanna spunk 80 notes and look a pleb when the inner tube doesn't fit :-)
  • 1980jj wrote:
    I can handle the weight issue, I'm not an all out junky looking to lose the next gram :-) a worry was buying tubeless tyres and they not be ready to receive a tube? Does that make sense. I'm happy to pay a bit more for snakeskin nextdaytires.com have them for £40 each. Just don't wanna spunk 80 notes and look a pleb when the inner tube doesn't fit :-)

Tubeless tyres and TLR will be the same as your standard and will fit tubes no problems. They will have a much tighter bead though which can make them a bastard to fit onto some rims.. Its usually when you have a tubeless tyre on a tight rim that the tube gets in the way (if needed for emergency) and you cant mount the fekkin tyre!

So dont worry about the tube not fitting cus it most likely will unless you have a tight stans rim for example.
  • 1980jj
    That's ok, the rims I have are oe on the cube ltd race. I don't even know if rims out there are specifically tubeless or can be converted to tubeless with tape etc. like I said "noob alert"! :-)