Crack near seatpost on frame.

splitpea
splitpea Posts: 11
edited July 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Basically I've pulled out my trusty steed after a good year or 2 and have been checking it over (It's for Cross Country). On the inside of the frame where the seatpost goes, I have found a very small hairline crack and it can also be slightly seen from the outside :?
It's just above the welding where the top tube meets the down tube.
I was going to leave it as it doesn't seem too bad and I was going to put from metal primer on it to prevent any water damage increasing the problem.

Is this crack anything to be worried about? Surely not unless I take it downhilling (which I don't).

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Without pictures we can't really say: can you upload some?
  • splitpea
    splitpea Posts: 11
    Not sure If a camera will really capture it. It's not really visible but you can feel it with your nail on both sides. It is very thin
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If your camera has a macro mode, and you take it outside in natural light, it should come up nicely.
  • FunBus
    FunBus Posts: 394
    how old is the frame/what brand? If it's within warranty, take it back regardless of if you think it could be ok
  • konadawg
    konadawg Posts: 447
    At the very least ensure that your seatpost extends well below where the crack is, by about 3 inches, when the seat is in the fully up position. At least you would be relatively safe when riding and could prevent this from getting worse.

It's not good news at all but perhaps you could live with it/get some more life out of the frame.

Probably occurred because of too little seatpost in the frame.
    Giant Reign X1