They just don't get it, do they!

Frank the tank
Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
edited July 2012 in The cake stop
"Wiggo" is doing what no other Brit has done before in the worlds premier cycling race (creating history on a daily basis). Yet on BBC news this morning his (and his teams) exploits are further down the "pecking order" of news worthiness than some tinpot "olympic athletics warm up" event. :evil:

I know there are more important things to get wound up about, but it does make me want to spit.
Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,128
    imho it's a mix of things...

50% that it's sky's team

50% that the bbc doesn't have the broadcast rights

50% that cycling doesn't fit the bbc's cultural model of sport: football, darts and snooker for the lower orders; rugby, cricket and tennis for the upper classes; and athletics for the luvvies

i know that's more than 100%, but it's just to ensure that even if events are of such magnitude to merit more coverage, they still have a full 100% of reasons to not give it

btw i loathe most things about news international and the rest of the murdoch empire, and generally am pro-bbc, but when it comes to cycling, hats off to sky and ptthhhbbbt to the bbc
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    sungod wrote:
    btw i loathe most things about news international and the rest of the murdoch empire, and generally am pro-bbc, but when it comes to cycling, hats off to sky and ptthhhbbbt to the bbc

Isn't it weird that Sky have a team, but it's Eurosport and ITV that broadcast the Tour?
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,128
    weird, but wonderful...

i don't have sky, but i do have eurosport :-)

afaik the only reason sky is involved in cycling is because of james murdoch
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • alanp23
    alanp23 Posts: 696
    It got a lot of coverage on the ITV news tonight. They even had a little piece from their "cycling reporter" Ned Boulting.

I do feel that the coverage is building. Hopefully to a frenzy next weekend!
    Top Ten finisher - PTP Tour of Britain 2016
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    dw300 wrote:
    sungod wrote:

Isn't it weird that Sky have a team, but it's Eurosport and ITV that broadcast the Tour?

Sky must be loving it, a broadcasting rival showing their logo and mentioning their name for hours everyday.
  • brianonyx
    brianonyx Posts: 170
    Shows my ignorance. I thought Eurosport was Sky.
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    You think the tv's bad? Have you seen the amount of moaning in the pro race section about how "boring" the TdF is?.
    WTF??
    1- Its the TdF
    2- Wiggins
    3- Froome
    4-Sagan
    5-Its the TdF ffs

Some people only happy when they're whinging.
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • dw300
    alanp23 wrote:
    It got a lot of coverage on the ITV news tonight. They even had a little piece from their "cycling reporter" Ned Boulting.

Ned's a good lad, interviews in French very well too. I really like the ITV coverage, Imlach rounds things up really well. I watch Eurosport for the live show thos, cos I love Dave Harmon and Carlton Kirby's anecdotes. Sean Kelly however, although a great cyclist, isn't quite so good in the booth, although he's good at picking stage winners.
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • dw300
    brianonyx wrote:

Anyone with digital television can watch Eurosport, it's a free channel.
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • Mikelancs
    Mikelancs Posts: 99
    My MRS moaned (off all people) about the lack of coverage as we watched the news on the Beeb this am. A brit in 1 and 2 and all they mentioned is Wiggo 'possibly' breaking a record!.

Poor - im sure they will be all over the Olympics Cycling coverage like a rash!!
    2012 Giant TCR Composite 3
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    dw300 wrote:
    brianonyx wrote:

Care to expand on that? I get Freeview and Freesat on my telly and don't see Eurosport anywhere in the channel listing.
  • CiB
    dw300 wrote:
    sungod wrote:

Sky must be loving it, a broadcasting rival showing their logo and mentioning their name for hours everyday.
    Almost as if they meant it to happen, all these sports fans who don't have Sky seeing the much tarnished brand getting hours of live coverage every day plus the nightly highlights package on FTA channels, virtually all of it showing Sky in a positive light. Anyone could idly imagine that Sky knew that they'd get more benefit sponsoring a team than by buying up the coverage to show on their own dedicated channels.
  • dw300
    CiB wrote:
    dw300 wrote:
    brianonyx wrote:

Care to expand on that? I get Freeview and Freesat on my telly and don't see Eurosport anywhere in the channel listing.

I just checked, and my info is out of date. I know a couple of years ago it was available on Freesat, but then we got Sky, so I didn't realise it wasn't available now. Sorry if i got your hopes up.
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    The BBC is nothing more than the media speak organisation of the Government ( despite Levenson/ no its not Murdoch and Sky) they would only be interested in TDF if Zara Phillips was riding (on merit of course)

The way they fell over themselves to interview Beckham after the Wimbledon final to give him a platform to show how gracious he was about not being selected, tells you all you need to know about their agenda.

I hope Cav and Wiggo refuse to give them an interview after both take RR and individual TT golds at the JUBALYMPICS.

p.s Frank Hows the hip you back on the bike yet???
  • CiB
    dw300 wrote:
    CiB wrote:
    dw300 wrote:
    brianonyx wrote:

I just checked, and my info is out of date. I know a couple of years ago it was available on Freesat, but then we got Sky, so I didn't realise it wasn't available now. Sorry if i got your hopes up.
    S'alright. I was hoping you were going to point me down the route of adding other channels by inputting various parameters in some obscure sub-menu after which I'd magically get free sport.
  • dw300
    CiB wrote:
    dw300 wrote:
    CiB wrote:
    dw300 wrote:
    brianonyx wrote:

S'alright. I was hoping you were going to point me down the route of adding other channels by inputting various parameters in some obscure sub-menu after which I'd magically get free sport.

Nah. Eurosport is one of the standard channels on Sky though, no need to pay for the Sky Sports 1-4. If you get the HD package you'll get the HD channel without paying for the sports package. The Tour is spectacular in HD.
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • roypsb
    roypsb Posts: 309
    dw300 wrote:
    alanp23 wrote:

Ned's a good lad, interviews in French very well too. I really like the ITV coverage, Imlach rounds things up really well. I watch Eurosport for the live show thos, cos I love Dave Harmon and Carlton Kirby's anecdotes. Sean Kelly however, although a great cyclist, isn't quite so good in the booth, although he's good at picking stage winners.

Couldn't agree more - Kirby and Harmon do a great job, really entertaining even during the dullest stages.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    tim wand wrote:
    The BBC is nothing more than the media speak organisation of the Government

I hope Cav and Wiggo refuse to give them an interview after both take RR and individual TT golds at the JUBALYMPICS.

Just wait. There's a good chance that Wiggins could be BBC's "Sports Personality of the Year" :D

It'll be close run thing between him and Andy fecking Murray following the latter's blub on the Wimboredom Centre Court.

Mind you, perhaps not Wiggins because he goes against the mould for the Sports Personality title on account of actually having one, rather than just being successful.

The older I get, the better I was.

• tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    If Twiggo wins the tour ( :wink: He's gonna isnt he's real is gonna isnt, please please)

Then I reckon the BBC will give him his own Music and Fashion show, Co- Hosting with Paul Weller and Paul Smith

On late night BBC Three which will become an instant cult hit. (Suggestions for names please)

But they'll still give SPOTY to that miserable jock git Murray,

If they don't his mum will really shout at them and she's a nasty looking bit of Over Competitive parent if I ever saw one.

and dont forget the BBC did give his "brother Jamie" a role in the first series of "Hustle" . Well fit He/She was too.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    Not a big fan of tennis or Andy Murray but I’m sick to fuxk of this miserable tag he’s been given. Charlie Brooker summed it up perfectly last week

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... ust-normal
  • dw300
    Not a big fan of tennis or Andy Murray but I’m sick to fuxk of this miserable tag he’s been given. Charlie Brooker summed it up perfectly last week

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... ust-normal

Charlie Brooker for PM! He's class.
    People say Murray's miserable because he doesn't smile very often. He's not miserable. He's normal. Have you walked down a street recently? Any street in the country? Go on, pick one. Take a stroll. Bring a notepad. Make a note each time you spot someone walking around beaming like they just taught their dog to sh*t money.
    Bike Radar Strava Club