Complete novice

andy 3654
andy 3654 Posts: 183
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
Hello, I am or will be complete novice to road/race bikes and have no idea what im looking for.
Spent many years on mountain bikes but getting confused by gears, chainsets etc.
Please help, I will be looking to spend up to 1600 on new bike but need advice first.

While I remember im looking to do distance and hopfully build up speed to if this helps with peoples response.
Thanks in advance

andy

Comments

• MIsterGoof
    MIsterGoof Posts: 128
    Go to a decent local bike shop, so you ensure you get a bike that fits (bike fit is the most important thing)

It may be worth budgeting for shoes and pedals.

For £1600 you will have a lot of choice, the key part of the bike is the frame, everything else can be upgaded in time, although my Planet X SL PRO is just as I bought it 5 years ago

Also scan the threads here, for similar questions
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    If I were spending that kind of money on a bike (A man can dream!), I'd get a modest (probably 631) made-to-measure frame and kit it out with some good-quality, durable hardware, but I like steel. If you want all singing all dancing and aren't so worried about growing old with the thing, I'd assume that a complete alloy or carbon bike would be more to your liking. Go to a half-decent bike shop that deals in road bikes; they should be able to sort you out...