Am I wasting my time and money

brindlescoops
brindlescoops Posts: 465
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
Hi all,

Firstly a bit of background.... I'm a Mountain Biker and pretty much twice a week am out bouncing around on my MTB. Im also a big lump, a svelte 18.5 stone in fact, though I am trying to get that figure down a little ( arent we all?)

Anyway, I did the London to Brighton with some mates this year for a bit of fun and actually really really enjoyed it, especially the fast sections in close proximity of the other riders, trying to cut through the crowds. Because of this I thought I might give the road bike thing a whirl so here I am.

I have done a bit of research into what bike to get to get me started and have come up with the following:

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/bikebuild ... BRA&bike=1

But heres the thing. My MTB is a top end bike which I love and can justify the expenditure because of the use I get out of it. The road bike thing is a bit of a trial so,I really cant justify spending big money on a road bike (yet).

For what it is, is the ribble going to be a good bike for all year round riding or will I hate it for being an entry level bike? I know to upgrade from sora to tiagra minimum at least, but what else do I need to consider? Being a big lad weight is a serious consideration, as is fit, I am making a best guess at 58 cm as I am 6'2" with a 31" inside leg, but of course I cant demo a bike from ribble. i want a "sportive" style as coming from a mtb i want a relaxed riding position.

i guess really I am looking for constructive input before I get a bike to make sure I am not wasting my money.

Thanks! :D
My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.

Comments

• Keith1983
    Keith1983 Posts: 575
    Hello mate, I think that Ribble will do you proud. I take it that if you enjoy it you will be spending more on a different bike, in which case I'd say stick with Sora. It will do the job valiantly. With you mentionin goyu're a big guy it may be worth going for a triple for any climbing, but this is a personal choice and a few beginners have decided to go for a compact in an effort to force them to have to up the effort on tough climbs? But in a summary that bike will do you proud. It might be worth speaking to them regarding the wheels, most road wheels will have a weight limit on them and you may find that a higher spoke count or something might be wise? Other than that, get out there and enjoy it!
  • Keith1983 wrote:
    Hello mate, I think that Ribble will do you proud. I take it that if you enjoy it you will be spending more on a different bike, in which case I'd say stick with Sora. It will do the job valiantly. With you mentionin goyu're a big guy it may be worth going for a triple for any climbing, but this is a personal choice and a few beginners have decided to go for a compact in an effort to force them to have to up the effort on tough climbs? But in a summary that bike will do you proud. It might be worth speaking to them regarding the wheels, most road wheels will have a weight limit on them and you may find that a higher spoke count or something might be wise? Other than that, get out there and enjoy it!

Thanks for the info, i wouldnt neccessarily upgrade it later on, the only reason I have the MTB I dois not just because of the amount I use it, but because I need the good suspension, brakes etc to put up with my weight! :oops: I have heard people say before to guys coming the other way, that if they have a super light premium carbon race bike etc, they would hate an entry level MTB, just wondered if it worked both ways. I defo wouldn't want to spend Money I don't need to for the fun of it!!

Defo agree about the triple, and a good shout re the wheels, I could do without a failure out on the road!

The Ribble seems really good value for Money too.
    My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    If cost is an obstacle the triple will take you into tiagra at least and an additional cost but like everything - as you have found with your MTB - a little extra spent initialy is a lot cheaper than upgrading later, especially as a new groupset will be needed.

But having looked at the site it appears that Ribble would give you as much help as you need - give them a call, it won't commit you to anything.
  • klep
    klep Posts: 158
    You can get alot better for that money! Even new, imagine second hand!
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    klep wrote:
    You can get alot better for that money! Even new, imagine second hand!

Second hand yes but unlikely new.

The Ribble will do you fine but you will already be aware that cycling sucks you in and if you get out a lot be prepared for upgraditis. No different from MTBing I guess.
  • fludey
    fludey Posts: 384
    Looks a good start to me, my first Orbea had Sora and it did me proud....and is now doing my mate proud 3 years later :D
    I to am at the 18st mark...must admit I battle on with a compact..didn't fancy a triple just didn't seem right somehow...but I did end up sticking a bigger cassette on the back 11-27 to help get me up the hills!
    Felt AR4
    Planet X Pro Carbon 105
    MTB Kona Kikapu Deluxe with a few upgrades!!
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    fludey wrote:
    Looks a good start to me, my first Orbea had Sora and it did me proud....and is now doing my mate proud 3 years later :D
    I to am at the 18st mark...must admit I battle on with a compact..didn't fancy a triple just didn't seem right somehow...but I did end up sticking a bigger cassette on the back 11-27 to help get me up the hills!

you've specced at 12-23, suggest you go with a 12-25 or 11-25. those extra 2 teeth on your lowest gear will help.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    You can never have too many bikes... My experience is that entry level will soon leave you unsatisfied and thirsting to upgrade. Do your homework and get the best spec you can afford
  • Thanks for the input guys, a slight change in options, Im going to see a second hand bike this week, but it has Mavic Aksium wheels on, would I need to change these for some 36 spoked stronger wheels or are they going to be OK? if I do need to get some stronger wheels any reccomendations that are reasonably priced?

Its possibly a better idea, a similar specced bike to the ribble, but a just few years so cheaper, so If I do like the road thing I can upgrade at some point and if not its not been a massive waste of money.
  • macleod113
    macleod113 Posts: 560
    Hi, i have a Ribble but the winter Audax one. i am 18.5 stone and 6'2" and have a 60cm.
    the bike has Mavic Aksium wheels and i havent had a problem with them supporting my weight. i also have a double chainset and havent struggled climbing just yet.
    good luck with your purchase :-)
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    As a fellow MTBer, I should probably point out that the differences between good and 'good value' road bikes seem to be a lot more subtle than a good and an entry level/beginners MTB. More money on the road bike doesn't really get you more control like it does on an MTB (dual flow rebound circuits, for example, are only on the expensive forks). Things get lighter and smoother, but it's not the huge leap like there is between a cheap and a higher specced MTB.

A cheap MTB will absolutely batter you if you try to ride it like an expensive one (I know, I've had both!). I fairly recently 'downgraded' in roadie terms from a carbon Ribble with 105 to an alu Boardman CX with a mish mash of Tiagra and 'Microshift'. The difference is marginal. If I got rid of my Carbon 456 with RLT Ti Revs and replaced it with a bike with Deore/Alivio and Toras I'd notice a huge difference.

Not that more expensive bikes aren't necessarily nicer, and I am 'only' doing commutes and longer solo rides at the weekends, not racing/group rides though, so YMMV.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • clickrumble
    clickrumble Posts: 304
    I bought the Ribble winter trainer/audax earlier this year - I'm really glad that I've got mudguards with all the water around recently. The great thing about Ribble is that you can select the components. It's fairly hilly where I live so I got the SRAM 50/34 and 11/32 cassette and haven't had to get off and push yet (I'm not exactly a spring chicken now). I'm not sure that it's worth getting a triple if you can get the range with the compact.