Giant Defy frame sizes

Alx-2006
Alx-2006 Posts: 2
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
Hi new bod here,

all I want to ask is "does anyone know what size frame size I should go for on the giant defy range of bikes 2 or 3" don't normally have an issue with this but the Defy frames indicate a size of 50cm for me based on my size, I normally ride a 54cm, I am 5'9 with an inside leg of 33inch (crotch to floor), any help on this would be appreciated,

I am assuming they measure them in a different way.

Thanks in advance
Alex

Comments

• alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    The Defy is a compact frame, so the effective measurement is larger than 50cm.

Giant use a system of S, M, M/L, L etc. I'm 6ft and ride a M/L. I assume you'd be a medium?
  • Mr Dog
    Mr Dog Posts: 643
    I'm 174 cm, around 5' 8.4". I have two TCRs. I ride a medium most days which is really comfy, but I also have a small with a longer stem.It feels good too. Given the angle of the top tube it looks tiny, but its really agile. I would suggest a medium would be perfect. One note of caution, the young man in my LBS tried to sell me a M/L. I would have been stretched out like Superman :lol:
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?
  • defycomp2
    defycomp2 Posts: 252
    5'11" 33" inside leg and I ride a M as my upper body is a bit shorter. Giant sizing says I should be M/L but I tried it and was a bit stretched. The M is spot on for me.
    Summer - Giant Defy Composite 2 (Force 22) (retd)
    Cannondale Synapse Sram Red ETap
    Winter - Boardman CX Team (Rival X1 Hyd)
  • kentphil
    kentphil Posts: 479
    I'm 5' 10" and ride a M TCR. I think i'm on the upper end on the M size though. I bought mine before they introduced the inbetween sizes like M/L.
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR
  • dugliss
    dugliss Posts: 235
    I`ve been looking at a Defy 2 and was thinking of getting a medium. Based on what I`ve read here I`m now thinking would I need a small, I`m 5foot 8 with and inside leg of just over 28 :oops:
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    My mate has a M/L TCR and he's roughly 6', i'm 5'9" and it's far to big for me. I found that the M was about right if not slightly to big and i generally have a 53/54 top tube.
  • Graeme Jones
    Graeme Jones Posts: 361
    My defy 3 is a large frame and I am 6 foot 2 so I think medium would be good. Medium/ large is likely to be still a little big
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I went into my local bike shop who sell giant defy, had a bike fitting from a professional and purchased one from him according to his recommendations