Replacing Rusty Bolts

nila
nila Posts: 12
edited July 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All,
Been fixing up my bike slowly since I got it back from Australia where it was sat for 2yrs with a friend using it.
Seems like he left it outside in the rain a fair amount as a number of parts are rusty.

I'd like to try replace some of the worse bolts with new ones and was thinking anodised ones would be the best to make the bike look better while replacing.

Main sets I need at this point are some to go in my levels for my Avid Juicy 3 brakes (the bolt that holds them to the handlebar - I think it's an M5 from what I found online but not sure - can anyone confirm??)

I also need some for the Botranger Select Stem I have too - the bolts that hold the stem to the bar.

Anyone able to confirm the sizes I need and which bolts they are and then recommend any place to get them that is cheap? :)

Thanks!!

Comments

• nila
    136 views and not one person with a single suggestion or comment?
    That's pretty sad :(
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    So buying advice then?

Then ask there.

And measure them. And I would not be looking to replce the ones with half head with alloy as you will have more issues than most have with rounded heads.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Cover it in mud. That's brown too, they'll blend in.
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    Most reccomend that you use steel or ti for stem and brake bolts due to them being stronger.

Ti ones can be had in raw or anodised and wont rust, but they cost a lot and will save very little weight.
    Steel ones can only be had painted-not anodised-so you can still get the colours you want but the finish will be less durable.
  • nila
    Yay! A reply :)
    Thanks!!
    So what do you recommend then?
    If I cant get any colour I want then at least some black ones so they fit in with the look of the bike.
    Bright silver ones will stick out like ugly sore thumbs :(

Also - any way I can check the actual sizes? The user manual on the SRAM site doesn't say :(
  • cameronb
    cameronb Posts: 102
    Bolts on the handlebar clamps are M5 x 15mm for avid juicy and elixir. I bought some for mine from here http://www.freeborn.co.uk/pro-bolt-avid-elixir-juicy-brake-lever-bolt-kits-1
  • nila
    Those look great but my bolt is slightly different shape.
    It is fatter at the bottom than at the top so the thread seems to come OUT of the bolt rather than being cut into it if you get what I mean?
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    nila wrote:
    It is fatter at the bottom than at the top so the thread seems to come OUT of the bolt rather than being cut into it if you get what I mean?

I dont. I thought all m5 bolts of a given length were the same? As those are designed for avid juicy brakes Im fairly sure they will fit.

For handlebar clamps and the like, aluminium bolts are fine. For high stress applications(rotors, calipers, stem etc) steel or ti are reccomended.