is there a difference?

foo-fighter
foo-fighter Posts: 113
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
just wondering if there is much of a difference between shimano tiagra and 105?? as i have found the same bike with these two options and a £200 price difference.
thanks

Comments

• daveyroids
    daveyroids Posts: 223
    edited July 2012
    If it's only the group set I wouldn't bother with the 105. The wheels, forks or other bits and pieces may have been upgraded though.
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    105 is a high-end set but Tiagra is nearly entry-level. I can't tell you how much better the 105 is, but I'm sure someone else can :)

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • ALaPlage
    ALaPlage Posts: 732
    Essentially 105 is lighter than Tiagra. If the Tiagra is not this years groupset it will be 9 speed versus 105 10 speed although Tiagra from 2012 is 10 speed and pretty much the older incarnation of 105. That in itself won't make any difference for the average man in the street.

In use however 105 will give slightly better feel and bite on the brakes and shifting is a touch smoother in so much at least that the lever throw is sharper and not so long. Otherwise that's it.

If the bike has the new 10 speed Tiagra I would say save £200 and go with that if that is the only difference between the bikes. Check out the rest of the spec though too such as wheelset, stem, post and saddle as often these can be also a one step up in terms of lightness and quality.
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    Looking on Ribble the 105 groupset is only £100 more than Tiagra. Maybe, as ALaPlage mentioned above some other components are also upgraded. Could you give us a link to the two bikes?

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • foo-fighter
    foo-fighter Posts: 113
    if i can find the website again i will try and post a link but at the moment the pc is playing up and is only letting me look at certain sites
  • Don't know about feel of the two reliability etc but with Tiagra the cable runs out of the side of the hood - with 105 it runs under the bar tape along the bars. Personally I think the Tiagra routing looks awful (cheap looking) - I suppose potentially it may be better though as there are less tight loops/turns for the cable - but visually = yuck :!:
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    I have the 2012 10-sp Tiagra and it's fine. No trouble at all.

Read somewhere that this year's Tiagra is last year's 105 anyway.
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • nathb84
    nathb84 Posts: 27
    I moved up from a sora groupset to a tiagra groupset about 6 months ago, can i tell the difference? No, i think you really have to be a very enthusiastic cyclist to tell the difference between groupsets one up or down from each other. save the money, enjoy getting out on the bike thats what i say.
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    nathb84 wrote:
    I moved up from a sora groupset to a tiagra groupset about 6 months ago, can i tell the difference? No

except for the way the shifters work?

tbh I use sora now and although when set up it can shift well but i would much prefer to be able to shift while in the drops.
  • nathb84
    nathb84 Posts: 27
    ha ha yes this is true. I was referring to the feel and yes it is nice to be able to shift in the drops
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    nathb84 wrote:
    I moved up from a sora groupset to a tiagra groupset about 6 months ago, can i tell the difference? No, i think you really have to be a very enthusiastic cyclist to tell the difference between groupsets one up or down from each other. save the money, enjoy getting out on the bike thats what i say.
    I have sora on one bike and 105 on the other. I would go for Tiagra or 105 every time. I hate the thumb shifters with sora. When you are on the drops you cannot change gear with sora. And they are right where I want to put my hands when I ride on the hoods.

Go for at least Tiagra or 105 every time!!
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac