Fox Talas vs Float stanchion length?

captainbligh
captainbligh Posts: 35
edited July 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I was wondering what the length difference is between a Talas 150mm and a Float 120mm FIT (Stanchions length) ?

I currently have a Ghost AMR 5900 with a Float 120 FIT. Would a Talas 150mm spoil the geometry and ride? (Rear shock is 120mm Fox Rp23).

:)

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    It is the Axel to Crown length that you should be looking at.

But let's say you increased that by 30mm you would slacken the head ans seat tube angles by over 1 degree as well as moving your weight back which would make it worse for climbing.

But go see what the AC lengths are on Foxs web site.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    It is the Axel to Crown length that you should be looking at.

But let's say you increased that by 30mm you would slacken the head ans seat tube angles by over 1 degree as well as moving your weight back which would make it worse for climbing.

But go see what the AC lengths are on Foxs web site.

Hello and thank you for your help :)
    I had that in mind, yes. The thing is that I am not that much of a climber, rather a trail rider (I don't have many places to climb here) but I do like the front a little higher (Coming from a free ride bike, but abandoned it due to an accident I had).

Considering this, do you think my position on the bike would push my body too much backwards, pushing the shock even more down and spoiling its travel? (Which is only 120mm, btw)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You may void your warranty - check with Ghost.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    and as i see you are mainly riding on tarmac it will also make it harder to ride.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown