MTB on a Budget for a newbie ;-)

BurntOut
BurntOut Posts: 9
edited July 2012 in MTB beginners
I am looking to purchase a MTB.

I am on a budget off about £300. I am not after anything with massive professional performance, just one that can handle Roads & Country Lanes enough to get me half fit again (LOL)

I have been recently looking at the Decathlon range and noticed these 2:

Rockrider 5.3 2011 = £270
Rockrider 5.3 2012 = £300

Only difference I can spot in the specs are the brakes and tyres. Any ideas on these ??

I am from Northern Ireland so purchasing a bike from wider UK, postage costs take me over budget.

Many thanks for taking the time to read folks, all help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Good start, I'd take the 2011.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    Sounds like you need a road bike or a hybrid to me? Roads and country lanes!
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • BurntOut
    waby1234 wrote:
    Sounds like you need a road bike or a hybrid to me? Roads and country lanes!

Lol waby Country Lanes in Ireland would be dirt roads, lookin somethin that can handle a bit of off roading. :lol:
  • BurntOut
    cooldad wrote:
    Good start, I'd take the 2011.

Cooldad, so the 2011 is better than the 2012 (another £30 for this yrs model)

Thanks
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    Fair enough!

Last years models tend to be better specced (there are exceptions but it's a general rule).
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Spec is basically identical except the brakes, Tektro on the older, Hayes on the newer. IMO the Tektro are as good or better, so save the £30 and buy bacon.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools